Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.1 Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is such a scary thing to do. You're basically driving blind for 30 seconds. Those 30 seconds or so seem like forever because you don't know how fast you're going, and i'm not even sure the indicator (signal) lights work.
IMO...

While it's an uncomfortable situation to be sure, I wouldn't call it driving blind.

Driving blind would be if the entire front windshield was a monitor fed by an external camera, and the camera and/or monitor decided to reboot.

Not knowing your speed and having broken turn signals isn't "driving blind."

We need to be careful to reserve extreme terminology for actual extreme conditions. Would you be upset if someone yelled "Fire!" in a crowded theater because someone lit a cigarette outside a propped exit door?

OMIGOD, 30 seconds without nav? Holy jeez, I'll bet the bluetooth phone wouldn't work either. Someone important might call!

Seriously, kind of amusing that we get so used to creature comforts we didn't have 5 years ago that we forget that when some of us started driving, a mandatory part of the driving exam was knowing how to put your arm out the window and signal a turn - which was modus operandi for half the history of the auto. Just like planning your trip around the location of the petrol station... err level 2 charger.

Also seriously, I would never advise a reboot of screens while driving... just common sense would tell me to pull over and do it in park.

OMIGOD, 30 seconds without nav? Holy jeez, I'll bet the bluetooth phone wouldn't work either. Someone important might call!

Seriously, kind of amusing that we get so used to creature comforts we didn't have 5 years ago that we forget that when some of us started driving, a mandatory part of the driving exam was knowing how to put your arm out the window and signal a turn - which was modus operandi for half the history of the auto. Just like planning your trip around the location of the petrol station... err level 2 charger.

Also seriously, I would never advise a reboot of screens while driving... just common sense would tell me to pull over and do it in park.

Then I guess I am lacking in common sense. After driving for 27 years, I'm a fairly good judge of my speed, and after spending hundreds of hours reading about my car, I was certain that there would not be any driving related side effects of being without the display for 30 seconds.

Then I guess I am lacking in common sense. After driving for 27 years, I'm a fairly good judge of my speed, and after spending hundreds of hours reading about my car, I was certain that there would not be any driving related side effects of being without the display for 30 seconds.

Sorry to impugn your judgement. This coming from the guy who wanted to spritz the windows yesterday at hwy speed and accidentally pressed the "park" button. Good news is that the car is smart enough to know that's not possible.

Agree that rebooting display SHOULDN'T have any driving impacts, but having spent a few decades in software, I guess I'm just suspicious and cautious, and would personally take the time to pull over. I've seen several posts from people who have done this reboot while driving without incident - speaks well of Tesla programmers' diligence in separating display functions from vehicle operation functions.

Very early on (within 2 days of having my car), due to an unreadable display, I was forced to reboot both screens at night while driving (there was no "pulling over" on the stretch of the road I was on). I can say that the car's systems will retain "current state" when the control systems reboot. The emergency flashers/turn signals/etc. do indeed work, although their indicators are not available. Headlights/fog lights/etc. don't flash or shut off.

It's a basic systems design where you have operational subsystems and monitoring/control subsystems. In the absence of the monitoring subsystems, operational subsystems must still operate as expected. Direct inputs required for only a particular subsystem are made directly to that subsystem, while the overall monitoring system can be responsible for programming certain behaviors, settings, etc. in the downstream systems.