Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... have you left them on and returned to the vehicle with a "swipe" upon re-entry as has been reported previously?

I did the 4.2 update yesterday. Still does the single sweep of the wiper when the wiper left on on prior exit. Only does it when I initally sit down in driver's seat.

It would be nice if it delayed 3-5 seconds after sitting down to allow you a chance to get the door closed.

Updated to 4.2 Wednesday evening. Door handle auto present is still inconsistent. They never present when I come into my garage in the morning, but seem to do OK when I'm out and about town. Does that have anything to do with the car being plugged in? This morning I touched the handle to get it to present. It then closed on my hand while opening the door...ouch! First time I've seen that. Has anyone else had that happen?

1. My right turn signal indicator on the driver's console screen is somewhat intermittent. If I have my right turn signal on, the indicator blinks and I get the turn signal sound, but the green background flashes off and on every few seconds, and the arrow/sound is not an even rhythm. It's a bit syncopated, for you music folks out there. Oddly, the left signal does not exhibit this behavior. I'll try to take a video and post it tonight--and will also send it to Tesla service. (Note: Couldn't repeat this on the way home for some reason, even though everything else was apparently the same. I'll keep trying).

I have the same problem with both turn signals.

Just got it 4.2 now - 1.19.42 version - Pano works fine now.. and yes, the dotted line on the range graph is properly scaled.

I updated to 4.2 last night. On my car the ideal range line (this is not the dotted line. The dotted line is your AVERAGE wh:/km) is NOT FIXED. It still is around 275 whether in km or miles. I would expect it around 175 wh/km if the baseline is 275 wh/mile. Who else has 2.4 and can double check this? This should be a no brainer fix. Not sure why it would not get fixed. I find it really annoying.

Just got the update. My Ranger had requested it get pushed to me because of the replacement of a couple of my door handles. He wanted to make sure they were all on the same firmware revision.

Doug. Is your range line now accurate in wh/km after the update? Mine is not even with 4.2 but someone else posted that it was fixed! It stays at around 275 whether I put it in km or miles.

I updated to 4.2 last night. On my car the ideal range line (this is not the dotted line. The dotted line is your AVERAGE wh:/km) is NOT FIXED. It still is around 275 whether in km or miles. I would expect it around 175 wh/km if the baseline is 275 wh/mile. Who else has 2.4 and can double check this? This should be a no brainer fix. Not sure why it would not get fixed. I find it really annoying.

To clarify, let's all use the long version number (1.19.41 or 1.19.42). v4.2 doesn't mean anything, as there are two known builds (.41 and .42).

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same problem with both turn signals.

Have you figured out a way to repeat it, or does it happen all the time? Haven't been able to reliably repeat it yet...which might indicate another memory corruption issue.

The ambient light buzzing comes from the fact that they do not like to be dimmed and, at the moment, the dimming of the ambient LEDs is controlled by the same parameter as the dimming of the main screen. If you put the screen brightness at 100%, the ambient LEDs will also be at 100% (not dimmed) and the buzzing will stop. They need to decouple the two and have a separate dimming for the screen and ambient lighting.

Thanks for this--I never realized that the ambient lights were dimming along with the touchscreen brightness level! This proves (I believe) that the fix is a simple separation of brightness settings for ambient lights and touchscreen. Frankly, I'm fine with the full brightness of the ambient lights and would be ok if they're always just on or off.

Either way, looks like a simple, non-hardware fix!

Thanks for this--I never realized that the ambient lights were dimming along with the touchscreen brightness level! This proves (I believe) that the fix is a simple separation of brightness settings for ambient lights and touchscreen. Frankly, I'm fine with the full brightness of the ambient lights and would be ok if they're always just on or off.

Either way, looks like a simple, non-hardware fix!

well, yes, if the power control for the amb lights and screens can be separated into two controls and the ambient lights can be left at above 85% (or whatever the threshold is), yes, that would also fix the issue. but the problem with lights buzzing when dimmed is almost certainly a hardware retrofit. either different leds, or different dimmer circuit. in my experience.

well, yes, if the power control for the amb lights and screens can be separated into two controls and the ambient lights can be left at above 85% (or whatever the threshold is), yes, that would also fix the issue. but the problem with lights buzzing when dimmed is almost certainly a hardware retrofit. either different leds, or different dimmer circuit. in my experience.

I agree--but is there anyone who cares about dimming the ambient lights? Personally, I couldn't care less--so it would be a fix for me to have screen brightness ONLY control the screen, and leave ambient at full when they're on.

Unless the hardware fix is part of a warranty...then I'm on it :).

Last edited:
Had no issues with 4.1 (.31) but, got a notification this morning that an update's available. Parked at work, plugged into a 110V outlet and kicked off the install; am sure it's spooking some folks in the parking lot doing its "possessed" thing during the update :)
It might be fun to rope off the vehicle and put up a sign...
My car is undergoing her roughly monthly software update. She turns into Christine for a few moments during the process. Don't worry; she won't shift into gear or anything.

I agree--but is there anyone who cares about dimming the ambient lights? Personally, I could[n't] care less--so it would be a fix for me to have screen brightness ONLY control the screen, and leave ambient at full when they're on.
I agree with (I think) your primary point: Dimming the ambients is far less valuable than the cost of having them buzz; fix the buzz even if you can't have brightness-adjustable ambients.

That said, a separate option to allow dimming the ambients (with perhaps a setting indicating yes/no to sync them with the panel brightness setting) would be cool too. But only if one of the programmers is bored on a weekend, personally likes the feature, and it doesn't interfere with the delivery schedule of other work. ;)

I also got the 4.2 upgrade last night on my 60kWh car. I love the new interface ;-)
8414873216_5cf0c2e382_c.jpg

I agree with (I think) your primary point: Dimming the ambients is far less valuable than the cost of having them buzz; fix the buzz even if you can't have brightness-adjustable ambients.

That said, a separate option to allow dimming the ambients (with perhaps a setting indicating yes/no to sync them with the panel brightness setting) would be cool too. But only if one of the programmers is bored on a weekend, personally likes the feature, and it doesn't interfere with the delivery schedule of other work. ;)

In other words, you are desperately hoping someone will do it. ;)

In other words, you are desperately hoping someone will do it. ;)
Nah, that was my way of saying it would be a neat novelty feature (kinda of like the existence of ambients in the first place, IMO) but definitely not high in the priority list.

- - - Updated - - -

I also got the 4.2 upgrade last night on my 60kWh car. I love the new interface ;-)
Your 60 came with a spoiler? Nifty!

Thanks for the picky grammar check. Fixed :biggrin: Sheesh :tongue:

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 15180

Awesome :). Now if we could only get the soundtrack to "Rad Racer" pumped through the sound system. [Todd goes off to find a Nintendo emulator, computer audio capture software, and puts a new song on his USB....]