Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I poked TM to get the update since I'll once again be near a SC this weekend. Left the office around 3:20 and the update was waiting. Had an appointment I knew would take an hour or so, so I started the update around 4:30 and by the time I came back out at about 5:20 it was done. The handles presented as I approached the car and I'm on 4.2 (.42). This was a straight update from my original firmware. I haven't gotten to play with the new stuff too much (throttle didn't feel much different to me), but glad to finally have SC access.

...I did some more testing on the way home from work and after pulling into the garage. Updates are in bold typeface.

Here's my running tally of issues that still exist, have been resolved, or that I have not yet verified after 90 miles on 1.19.42 (v4.2):

My Fixed Issues:
1. Pano roof sticking<--Not sticking anymore.

yeah me too, just assumed everyone assumed this...

2. Album art is now properly downloading for my songs. I'd still rather use the MP3-stored art though. Whenever I play a John Williams song from a soundtrack, if they can't find the album art they just display an image of John Williams in a tuxedo. A bit odd . Guess that was the cloud search result.

never had this issue, or never noticed...

3. Very faint, slight static when changing volume on the steering wheel.<--This is gone.

good to hear, was VERY rare for me but did observe on a few occasions...

My Issues that still exist:
1. My right turn signal indicator on the driver's console screen is somewhat intermittent. If I have my right turn signal on, the indicator blinks and I get the turn signal sound, but the green background flashes off and on every few seconds, and the arrow/sound is not an even rhythm. It's a bit syncopated, for you music folks out there. Oddly, the left signal does not exhibit this behavior. I'll try to take a video and post it tonight--and will also send it to Tesla service. (Note: Couldn't repeat this on the way home for some reason, even though everything else was apparently the same. I'll keep trying).

never had this either..

2. Ambient light buzzing is still present.

so 99.8% sure this is going to be a hardware fix. wouldn't hold breath. i've actually driven with ambients off since delivery and never think of them. not killing me. (not to say they shouldn't and i wouldn't like a fix for this ultimately.. but i assume it's a grounding/diode type situation at service ctr..)

Unknown status (Haven't observed it yet). I guess it's a good thing to be in this category:
1. Occasional door handle not extending or retracting.

this should be good too, only experienced it in last day of 4.1... i'm keeping an eye out.

2. Random Loss of 3G coverage, or difficulty regaining 3G coverage after being out of coverage for awhile.

haven't had this myself either. also good one to know if solved. pulling a fuse to fix something is a no-go situation.

(By the way, I'm surprised nobody else is giving updates like this for their cars. Seems like it would be comfort to those having issues and awaiting an update, as well as good information for Tesla to assimilate).

yes, i've tried to do too (didn't on 4.2 as i didn't have many of the issues..) but picked it up here on your coattails, as you can see. thx for the ride. :)

see quote above.

I suspect this is the same or similar problem seen before where the led's (might be their voltage electronics) emit radio frequencies that interfere with radio equipment. They have been known to interfere with radio communication in the vhf-band.

The ambient light buzzing comes from the fact that they do not like to be dimmed and, at the moment, the dimming of the ambient LEDs is controlled by the same parameter as the dimming of the main screen. If you put the screen brightness at 100%, the ambient LEDs will also be at 100% (not dimmed) and the buzzing will stop. They need to decouple the two and have a separate dimming for the screen and ambient lighting.

I poked TM to get the update since I'll once again be near a SC this weekend. ~ I haven't gotten to play with the new stuff too much (throttle didn't feel much different to me), but glad to finally have SC access.

Hello, AnOutsider. You've mentioned lack of SC access a few times since your first failed attempt to use a charger a few weeks back. One of those times I noticed that some of the other forum members thought you should have been able to SuperCharge since all cars have had SW version 1.15.8 or greater since October.
From the TMC wiki:

v1.15.8

- October 19, 2012

"improved performance of the digital instrument panel, as well as components to facilitate access of our Supercharger network."

I hope you you're finally able to SuperCharge when you try.

Hello, AnOutsider. You've mentioned lack of SC access a few times since your first failed attempt to use a charger a few weeks back. One of those times I noticed that some of the other forum members thought you should have been able to SuperCharge since all cars have had SW version 1.15.8 or greater since October.
From the TMC wiki:

v1.15.8

- October 19, 2012

"improved performance of the digital instrument panel, as well as components to facilitate access of our Supercharger network."

I hope you you're finally able to SuperCharge when you try.

I missed those posts, and my service manager said the same, so they're reviewing the logs to see why my car basically rejected the charger. At the time we assumed the car simply didn't have the capability due to software.

The ambient light buzzing comes from the fact that they do not like to be dimmed and, at the moment, the dimming of the ambient LEDs is controlled by the same parameter as the dimming of the main screen. If you put the screen brightness at 100%, the ambient LEDs will also be at 100% (not dimmed) and the buzzing will stop. They need to decouple the two and have a separate dimming for the screen and ambient lighting.

Thanks for the more detailed information znino.

Windshield wiper improvement

Finally got to test the windshield wipers in perfect variable drizzle conditions yesterday, with 4.2 (.41, have not been patched to .42). BIG improvement in the sensitivity of the rain sensing modes. They still are occasionally slow to react at the very light drizzle end of the spectrum, but above that, MUCH better response!

Finally got to test the windshield wipers in perfect variable drizzle conditions yesterday, with 4.2 (.41, have not been patched to .42). BIG improvement in the sensitivity of the rain sensing modes. They still are occasionally slow to react at the very light drizzle end of the spectrum, but above that, MUCH better response!

Good news ... have you left them on and returned to the vehicle with a "swipe" upon re-entry as has been reported previously?

I just found a new bug that hadn't happened to me before 4.2. It seems that sometimes the Google Maps screen will stay in the wrong mode (day or night) when the car changes. For example, when I get in the car when it is in the garage it is in night mode because the garage is dark. When I back out into the daylight the car switches to day mode but the Google Maps will stay in night mode. I've found that if I switch to something else and them back to the map it will re-draw in the correct mode. Maybe 4.2 is now trying to cache the maps and it is caching the mode which it is in. Just a guess. Anyone else notice this problem in 4.2?

Do you have the 1.19.41 or .42 version? This works correctly for me on the .42 revision. Maybe that's what was fixed between 1.19.41 and 1.19.42.

2. Ambient light buzzing is still present.

You know, I didn't know I had this issue until I read these forums. Thanks guys! :p (I kid, I kid)

1. Occasional door handle not extending or retracting.

I've noticed that, because of the lack of deep sleep mode now, they extend without any delay. It also appears the range of activation of the extension is increased, but that's probably because of the reduced delay.

... have you left them on and returned to the vehicle with a "swipe" upon re-entry as has been reported previously?

I did the 4.2 update yesterday. Still does the single sweep of the wiper when the wiper left on on prior exit. Only does it when I initally sit down in driver's seat.