Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do hear the fan now (if everything else is off) that it's warmer, sure -- but it's only intrusive if the interior has been 120 (sitting in sun) and it quiets down as the car cools down. I don't think I've ever had it lock into a high-speed / high-noise state.

I do hear the fan now (if everything else is off) that it's warmer, sure -- but it's only intrusive if the interior has been 120 (sitting in sun) and it quiets down as the car cools down. I don't think I've ever had it lock into a high-speed / high-noise state.

But can you confirm that--even in your parking garage spot in the morning when the interior's not hot--the fan is louder than it was in the past?

But can you confirm that--even in your parking garage spot in the morning when the interior's not hot--the fan is louder than it was in the past?

I just went to check but it's still charging so it's warm inside and the screen is 90 degrees (infrared thermometer) so the fan's definitely running and audible. I'll try to remember in the morning and report back.

It should be pointed out that, while we may all have the same firmware, we don't all have the same hardware. There are different versions of the door handles. There are different versions of the touchscreen (I was told I was getting a newer version when they replaced it.). There are different versions of the battery packs too. So that is another reason why you may get different results with the same firmware.

I cannot understand this. How does the same software and firmware on the same car cause different results? You don't hear the touchscreen fan more than you did before?
Your premise is incorrect. These are different vehicles.

An experiment that might express the point:
Ask 10 of your "geek" friends what they think about hard drives. Every one of them will tell you "I will never buy ___ brand ever again. I had trouble with the ___ drive." If all 10 of your friends agree on the brand here, then you need a more diverse set of friends.

My point: Instances of a class of product are not the same. Manufacturers try to make them "within tolerances" the same, but that doesn't make them the same.

I just went to check but it's still charging so it's warm inside and the screen is 90 degrees (infrared thermometer) so the fan's definitely running and audible. I'll try to remember in the morning and report back.

Checked again. Car reads 73 but IR gun says it's 77-83 inside depending on where I point it. Screen reads similarly 78-83. I listened for the fan as I approached the car (I left windows down). It was running. Shutting down the car had no effect (other than slightly changing the fan RPM likely due to voltage differences in the 12v circuit). So maybe it's been running in the mornings but I've not really noticed it.

Ya, it's always done this for me. It's only if you have the top app set as the camera. I usually have it as nav, and when I throw the car in reverse the camera OVERLAY appears, which doesn't gray out.

Works for me.

I checked again and it's the same for me. Grays out only when camera is selected as the top app. If it's on the bottom it stays on, and when it pops up automatically in reverse it shifts down and stays on. I never run it as the top app (keep map there, and energy or media on bottom) so no issues for me.

I cannot understand this. How does the same software and firmware on the same car cause different results? You don't hear the touchscreen fan more than you did before?

I do not notice any difference in the touchscreen fan noise with 4.5 (that is to say I never noticed it before, and I don't now). I will keep an ear out and post if something changes.

I've had a few things actually fixed (a number of weird issues related to my charge port behavior), but have noticed new weirdness related to headlights and display day/night modes.

... when it pops up automatically in reverse it shifts down and stays on.

Having read about the camera/overlay issues here on this thread, I've been paying attention and noticed the "pop down" behavior for the auto-reverse camera as well on my v4.5(.43) car.

- - - Updated - - -

Checked again. Car reads 73 but IR gun says it's 77-83 inside depending on where I point it. Screen reads similarly 78-83. I listened for the fan as I approached the car (I left windows down). It was running. Shutting down the car had no effect (other than slightly changing the fan RPM likely due to voltage differences in the 12v circuit). So maybe it's been running in the mornings but I've not really noticed it.

Out of curiosity, are you seeing the car report it's interior temperature anywhere on the displays? I know the smartphone app can report it, but the only temps I've seen on the displays is the external temp reading...

Hi,
Just realized why I never noticed it. I added another entry to the home link list yesterday to make it bigger. Someone on the list mentioned it was easier to hit the spot that activates the garage rather than going into setup if there was a dummy entry. When I erased the second entry, the backup camera stayed on. So more than one home link entry will blank the video.

I also noticed the fan noise for the first time yesterday. Weather was not not that warm and the sound was not very loud. Yet this morning when I got into the car to go to work, I did not hear the fan behind the screen.

Ya, it's always done this for me. It's only if you have the top app set as the camera. I usually have it as nav, and when I throw the car in reverse the camera OVERLAY appears, which doesn't gray out.

Works for me.

"We currently halted 4.5 installs and downloads due to a bug found in the software. When a fix is available we will push the newest version to you. If you reboot the touchscreen by holding down both scroll wheels on the steering wheel for about 15 seconds the prompt to install the software will go away. Sorry for any inconvienance this has caused you and we are feverishly working on a fix. If you have any further questions feel free to contact me directly through email or by phone at 1-877-79TESLA."
I received several nice reponses for posting the above. What I'm curious about is why can't TM take the initiative to send out a blast to all owners saying the above? Communication continues to be the their weakspot.

I received several nice reponses for posting the above. What I'm curious about is why can't TM take the initiative to send out a blast to all owners saying the above? Communication continues to be the their weakspot.
Only the squeaky wheel gets the email, and even then not always.

Which is especially frustrating to me, as they called me up for some ownership survey many months ago; pretty sure the biggest complaint by far was lack of communication.

Only the squeaky wheel gets the email, and even then not always.

Which is especially frustrating to me, as they called me up for some ownership survey many months ago; pretty sure the biggest complaint by far was lack of communication.

I agree. When there is a problem, as for example in the 4.5 update, Tesla should automatically email all owners and tell them what's going on. They have all our contact info so this should be easy for them to do.

They should go even further. Tesla shouldn't just tell us "There are some problems in the release, we're working on them", they should also tell us exactly what the problems are: "We stopped releasing 4.5 because of x, y, and z."That way, people would know what's going on. They would also know whether any problems they are experiencing are being addressed, and if they are not, would know whether to bring them to Tesla's attention.

This is important because a software release changes something you already own. If the changes are all good, that's great. But if there are changes that negatively impact you, you tend (in my experience) to feel the loss more strongly than you would feel the benefit of the new features. So in this case, having the ability to set the charge level is great, but having to listen to the screen fan run constantly, more than offsets this, at least for me. Overall, I think it's a mistake for Tesla not to be more forthcoming than they tend to be on this stuff.

Out of curiosity, are you seeing the car report it's interior temperature anywhere on the displays? I know the smartphone app can report it, but the only temps I've seen on the displays is the external temp reading...

I'm not. I checked again this morning -- car said 70, IR gun said 70 in the garage, but 80 on/around the display. I believe the fan was running but by the time I got in the car, the battery coolant pump (I believe) had begun running which is way louder so I couldn't really tell.

I'm not. I checked again this morning -- car said 70, IR gun said 70 in the garage, but 80 on/around the display. I believe the fan was running but by the time I got in the car, the battery coolant pump (I believe) had begun running which is way louder so I couldn't really tell.
So car said 70 on phone app?

on edit: oh... Your gun was registering 80 when aimed at the display ?

I do not notice any difference in the touchscreen fan noise with 4.5 (that is to say I never noticed it before, and I don't now). I will keep an ear out and post if something changes.

I've had a few things actually fixed (a number of weird issues related to my charge port behavior), but have noticed new weirdness related to headlights and display day/night modes.

I am at 4.5. Seamless for me.