Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got 1.33.51 last night. Also, noticed the now louder display fan.

While reviewing the new features, I tried navigating to a previous charger location, and the navigation doesn't start anymore.
The popup window comes up with a message "Navigation system is initializing... " and the spinning wheel keeps on spinning...
Not Happy.

Called Tesla Service in Freemont, they checked the car and did not noticed any error. Suggested getting the car to service center. Hmmmm.
Not Happy.

Anyone experienced this ?

While reviewing the new features, I tried navigating to a previous charger location, and the navigation doesn't start anymore.
The popup window comes up with a message "Navigation system is initializing... " and the spinning wheel keeps on spinning...
Not Happy.

Called Tesla Service in Freemont, they checked the car and did not noticed any error. Suggested getting the car to service center. Hmmmm.
Not Happy.

Anyone experienced this ?

Maybe a restart of the system will help.

+1, and i got the same response when i asked if they could please push as i'm now out of town for months... really want to have the car charging to 50% and not 90..... my brother is standing by to go do the update for me when it comes in... speaking of which, would be really nice if they notified us in our ios apps when there was a software update pending..... another feat req for the little list i hope they're keeping.. actually, i'm sure it's already on there...

I had the 100% fan issue and I had an appointment to have the screen replaced. We discussed the fact that 4.5 addressed and this issue and i was going to call and cancel the appt if it resolved the fan problem.

After about a week my service rep emailed me to let me know that he can see that my car had finished validating the new update and was currently downloading it. The next day I had the prompt to install .48.

The point of this is, while they may not be able to push the update they do have visibility into your car pulling the update. That coupled with the fact that I have gotten exemplary customer service from the Rockville SC makes the small bugs bearable.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

I'm on 4.4. It was pretty hot on Thursday - and noticed the fan noise Thursday evening.

BUT, I also had a warning about low voltage - and that the car may not restart. The fan noise happened about the same time - which may be related - or just a coincidence.

Tesla's had the car since Friday morning - they're running detailed diagnostics and working with "engineer" to understand why I got the low voltage warning. Now they're concerned the problem might not be with the 12V battery - but with the 85KWhr high voltage battery system.

The local techs are continuing to work with engineering - and the earliest I might get the car back is Monday.

I've asked them to check the fan noise problem while they are checking out the "may not restart" warning.

I got this issue. After two repairs they decided to replace the whole 85kwh battery pack.

got 4.5 (.48). talked brother through installing it last night (as i'm oot) -- followed the process on the ios app and in terminal using hans's super handy node scripts (link).. all went well, no probs as usual (for me, knock on wood). had my brother set the charge level to ~55% (feat req: this should have a digital readout as you slide..). as expected, the car is now bleeding charge (from its former standard charge) and will presumably kick in charging when it reaches 50% or so and maintain the much more battery-friendly level of 55% while i'm gone, so happy/relieved about that.

here's my question: the ios app still has only the standard/range charge toggle, i guess i assume that the 'standard' setting is now whatever the charge level caret is set to (55% for me now) and that the 'range' charge is always 100%. is this true? does anyone know, has anyone toggled the standard/range switch with 4.5 to see what it sets to each time? (don't think i've seen a post relevant to this, but haven't been following very closely recently, apologies if i've missed it.)

thanks.

Last edited:
got 4.5 (.48). talked brother through installing it last night (as i'm oot) -- followed the process on the ios app and in terminal using hans's super handy node scripts (link).. all went well, no probs as usual (for me, knock on wood). had my brother set the charge level to ~55% (feat req: this should have a digital readout as you slide..). as expected, the car is now bleeding charge (from its former standard charge) and will presumably kick in charging when it reaches 50% or so and maintain the much more battery-friendly level of 55% while i'm gone, so happy/relieved about that.

here's my question: the ios app still has only the standard/range charge toggle, i guess i assume that the 'standard' setting is now whatever the charge level caret is set to (55% for me now) and that the 'range' charge is always 100%. is this true? does anyone know, has anyone toggled the standard/range switch with 4.5 to see what it sets to each time? (don't think i've seen a post relevant to this, but haven't been following very closely recently, apologies if i've missed it.)

thanks.

I believe standard is 93% and if you cycle between standard and range on iOS that you will lose your 55% setting.

I believe standard is 93% and if you cycle between standard and range on iOS that you will lose your 55% setting.

hm, ok. so if i set a custom setting in the car, i have to not touch the standard/range toggle or that invokes the presets? seems probable, if a bit touchy. i think the preset for standard is now 90% straight. the telemetry from my car says:

set soc: 52% (my slider)
std soc: 90% (standard)
min soc: 50% (min)
max soc: 100% (range)

fwiw.

ok, thanks for the reply!

With the crazy-expensive peak-rates of TOU plans, I really hope we can disable the "Battery Support" feature... If not in this version, hopefully the next... Especially important when it comes to summer-time mid-day pre-cooling in the garage, which will land squarely in the peak period...

I totally agree this "Battery Support" feature should be disable-able. With my SDG&E TOU2 plan, if I start drawing wall power in the afternoon, I'm paying about twice as much as the midnight - 5 AM period.
With 4.5, I have to plug in the UMC just before I head up to bed (I have scheduled charging to begin at 12:05 AM) in order to avoid higher TOU rates.

What is the battery support feature?

I totally agree this "Battery Support" feature should be disable-able. With my SDG&E TOU2 plan, if I start drawing wall power in the afternoon, I'm paying about twice as much as the midnight - 5 AM period.
With 4.5, I have to plug in the UMC just before I head up to bed (I have scheduled charging to begin at 12:05 AM) in order to avoid higher TOU rates.

What is the battery support feature?

Not Happy.

Fixed this issue, by rebooting the dash computer/screen, by holding both buttons above the roll buttons. After some thought, I realized that the navigation system (Navigon) is running on the dash display/computer and therefore, I should try rebooting that display. Even though I was getting the message on the Google Maps display, I figured it was trying to communicate with the Navigon subsystem and not getting through.

Well, that fixed it. No more "Navigation system is initializing... " message and direction are now displayed.

i got 4.5 on Friday night.

two problems:

1 - totally messed up the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. the phone function would work, but the media wouldn't (i.e. i couldn't stream music, which is a huge deal to me). everytime i would disconnect and re-connect, it would show Media for like 3 seconds, then drop out. I tried resetting the screens by holding the two buttons down (btw - this is the first time in 5,000 miles that I've ever done that, or more importantly HAD to do that). didn't work. tried it again, and it worked.

thank god because i found Yeezus on Friday and i had to bump that sh*t this weekend.

2 - when approaching the car, all handles extend, but the rear passenger handle comes out a second after the other three. so random. didn't happen before 4.4. not a big deal whatsoever, but strange.

p.s. - i don't hear no fan i don't know what the hellz you people are talkin about! haha

1 - totally messed up the Bluetooth connection to my iPhone.

With every update I've received, the car "forgets" all my phone contacts. I delete the phone and re-pair and all is well again.

2 - when approaching the car, all handles extend, but the rear passenger handle comes out a second after the other three. so random. didn't happen before 4.4. not a big deal whatsoever, but strange.

Both my passenger side handles begin extending an instant before the driver's side since 4.5 Weird, but no biggie.

p.s. - i don't hear no fan i don't know what the hellz you people are talkin about! haha

Ditto.

Fair enough that it should be on improvement list, but I think TOU people are obsessing a bit. It's not CHARGING in high cost periods, just drawing for "support systems". Let's just say that your peak TOU cost is 35 cents per kWh, and your car draws 3 kwh per day during peak for "battery support". Thats one US dollar a day. Tesla should take the TOU feedback and incorporate, but not something they should jump through hoops to do. It seems from 4.5 and prior releases that the most aggravating and consequential bugs that have appeared in new releases are in the charging/power systems, so I'd prefer they do not rush new stuff into production in that area...

Fair enough that it should be on improvement list, but I think TOU people are obsessing a bit. It's not CHARGING in high cost periods, just drawing for "support systems". Let's just say that your peak TOU cost is 35 cents per kWh, and your car draws 3 kwh per day during peak for "battery support". Thats one US dollar a day. Tesla should take the TOU feedback and incorporate, but not something they should jump through hoops to do. It seems from 4.5 and prior releases that the most aggravating and consequential bugs that have appeared in new releases are in the charging/power systems, so I'd prefer they do not rush new stuff into production in that area...

+1 on all.