Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a possible scenario: Tesla branched the code line to create 5.5 for Europe (no sleep mode) while working on 5.0 with sleep mode for the U.S. Once they have all of the 5.0 issues resolved they want to converge the two branches into a 5.6 or 5.7 (or 5.X) that all of the owners worldwide will receive.

Here's a possible scenario: Tesla branched the code line to create 5.5 for Europe (no sleep mode) while working on 5.0 with sleep mode for the U.S. Once they have all of the 5.0 issues resolved they want to converge the two branches into a 5.6 or 5.7 (or 5.X) that all of the owners worldwide will receive.
From a versioning point of view that would be an... odd choice, but it's of course possible.
I didn't realize that 5.5 doesn't have sleep mode, though.

From a versioning point of view that would be an... odd choice, but it's of course possible.
I didn't realize that 5.5 doesn't have sleep mode, though.

If so, then TM did branch, which sounds reasonable given the different options and charging support in Europe at this point. I would expect the branches to merge however since TM used 5.5 instead of 1.0

If so, then TM did branch, which sounds reasonable given the different options and charging support in Europe at this point. I would expect the branches to merge however since TM used 5.5 instead of 1.0

I spent years in software, as did many on this forum. And, I think there are some good software engineering skills at Tesla. I sincerely doubt they would "branch" software releases. Maybe they did, but it is about the last thing any software developer ever wants to do... try to re-merge two branched versions.

More likely they took 5.0, put in a switch that turns off "sleep" mode, named it 5.5 or whatever, put in the euro functions, and will wait to re-activate sleep mode (hopefully as an option) in subsequent release. All conjecture of course, we'll likely never know.

I'm working out of a branch right now and it is not fun with the added overhead of managing builds, breaks, merge conflicts...yada yada. Would be nice if it was just a bit they could flip, but I doubt it as the sleep code is more than likely intertwined with several systems. Maybe they are maintaining a ChangeList of all the areas of code affected but as the code evolves that will have less and less value.

IMHO there is no branching. They are trying to perfect the original 5.0 after getting feedback from their beta testers and newly produced vehicles. There is some suggestion that they have been sending out recent vehicles with 4.5. Makes sense since they probably have enough vehicles with 5.0 (and above) out there to give sufficient feedback. Once they have resolved the issues we will see the finalized version. Call it whatever...5.9??

IMHO there is no branching. They are trying to perfect the original 5.0 after getting feedback from their beta testers and newly produced vehicles. There is some suggestion that they have been sending out recent vehicles with 4.5. Makes sense since they probably have enough vehicles with 5.0 (and above) out there to give sufficient feedback. Once they have resolved the issues we will see the finalized version. Call it whatever...5.9??

So do you believe the 5.0 has all the features that are in 5.5 + code to deal with the vampire losses?

They absolutely branched 5.5. Take a look at this pic taken from a pre-production EU spec car with 5.5:

http://www.speedy.no/ModelS/P_20130718_112558.jpg

So do you believe the 5.0 has all the features that are in 5.5 + code to deal with the vampire losses?
Yes

- - - Updated - - -

They absolutely branched 5.5. Take a look at this pic taken from a pre-production EU spec car with 5.5:

http://www.speedy.no/ModelS/P_20130718_112558.jpg
Technically this does not mean they branched it and will merge the two back together. I believe that essentially this is the 'bug fix' version of 5.0. Certainly I could be wrong.

I sincerely doubt they would "branch" software releases. Maybe they did, but it is about the last thing any software developer ever wants to do... try to re-merge two branched versions.
You are correct in saying branching is the last thing a software developer ever wants to do.

However, it's the first thing a release manager wants to do for the very good reason that they have to stabilize the code before shipping, and yet can't have developers twiddling their thumbs while waiting for the release. The only thing to do is branch.

No, I'm not a release manager!

My almost-3-week old S85 shipped with 5.0 (1.35.98).
.98 ? That's a new one. So far we only had reports of .96 and .102 (but see below)

- - - Updated - - -

Technically this does not mean they branched it and will merge the two back together. I believe that essentially this is the 'bug fix' version of 5.0. Certainly I could be wrong.
But look at the build number. 5.5 is 1.35.76 - the 5.0 versions in the US so far are 1.35.96 and higher.

- - - Updated - - -

my nephew received his 85 in Arizona on 21st of this month with 5.0 (1.35.104) and hasn't had any issues.
Same question: are you sure? Picture? That would be the newest that we have seen so far.

Edit:
I stand corrected... texex91 reported having 1.35.106 in his brand new P85+ two days ago

- - - Updated - - -

So it seems they are actively rev-ing 50 - at least four or five different versions have shipped - .96, .98, .102, .104, and .106
Are there any different versions of the European cars? Are they all on .76? Or was that just the demo cars? What are the production cars shipping with?

Last edited:
.98 ? That's a new one. So far we only had reports of .96 and .102 (but see below)

- - - Updated - - -

But look at the build number. 5.5 is 1.35.76 - the 5.0 versions in the US so far are 1.35.96 and higher.

- - - Updated - - -

Same question: are you sure? Picture? That would be the newest that we have seen so far.

Edit:
I stand corrected... texex91 reported having 1.35.106 in his brand new P85+ two days ago

- - - Updated - - -

So it seems they are actively rev-ing 50 - at least four or five different versions have shipped - .96, .98, .102, .104, and .106
Are there any different versions of the European cars? Are they all on .76? Or was that just the demo cars? What are the production cars shipping with?

My head is spinning:confused:.....What I know: There are beta testers for the 5.0 along with some shipments to new customers here and abroad. There are problems with the 5.0 that TM knows about and is trying different bug fixes and to accommodate some feedback from the testers (example: Many people do not like the slow wake up time/app connect time with the low power vampire loss fix vs. old 4.5 quick connect/but more vampire loss).
What I speculate: They are testing a number of different fixes in the real world by releasing different versions.

What we all hope: TM will come out with say '5.9' for everyone that makes everyone happy. OK, you can't make everyone happy....

If any new music program comes out, I hope it's MOG. If you haven't checked it out, you should. Downloadable songs/albums (without paying per album), streaming songs/albums, and Internet radio (with the ability to pick how much of a variety you want on that station) all for a low monthly fee.

Storage space for five albums or so would be nice too.

Love MOG, unlimited mobile devices too for the same price and works with Sonos at home.