Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my car last week… P85, VIN 1999x, software version v5.0 (1.35.107)

I did a little bit of a sleep mode test today. At 10:56am, I had 187 miles of range. I unplugged and waited until 7:54pm, and it reports 186 miles of range. I did wake it to check at 4:57pm and it was showing 186 miles of range. I suspect that this isn't granular enough to infer all that much.

My car's nav compass system is completely screwed up. It sometimes works but usually doesn't. It seems like it's the compass because occasionally the GPS location kicks and it it corrects, but it usually has my car pointing in the wrong direction. My buddies' car of the same shipment doesn't seem to have this problem, but I haven't checked to see what firmware rev he has on his.

Not sure if the door handle auto-present behavior is normal either - I basically have to go pretty much right next to the car and wait a moment before the handles present. Just long enough to wonder if the handles will present. Also, if I approach from the rear of the car, it won't detect my presence and let me stop charging and unplug (I get a blue ring when I click the button, not a white one). I have to manually unlock the car before unplugging.

Not sure if the door handle auto-present behavior is normal either - I basically have to go pretty much right next to the car and wait a moment before the handles present. Just long enough to wonder if the handles will present. Also, if I approach from the rear of the car, it won't detect my presence and let me stop charging and unplug (I get a blue ring when I click the button, not a white one). I have to manually unlock the car before unplugging.

I am pretty sure the auto-present sensors are located in the triangular panels on either side of the dash. I disconnected one and the handles would not present until reconnected. Therefore, it makes sense that if you approach from the back that you get less of a response.

I've had some minor compass issues. For the most part, my GPS has worked beautifully. running 5.7 v1.35.103 (I think)

Not to imply you're doing it wrong, but it took me a little while to realize how this works. It seemed clunky to me at first. The handles typically won't present until you get close, especially from the rear. The door handles don't need to be extended to unlock and remove the cable, and the light doesn't need to be white to remove the plug.

Just click and HOLD the button down and pull. On my car it will release and it will work with or without the door handles unlocked. I don't get a white ring until after I've removed the plug.

techmaven: I replaced the batteries in both my fobs shortly after I got my car - that was 10 months ago and the battery in my fob I use mainly is still good. I've also found the door handles sometimes do not present if I walk up slowly to the car...so normally have my finger ready to hit the button just in case. And of course you can always tap on the handle and the door handles will present. After 9 months I am still amazed at the things I am learning about this cool car we are privileged to own!

Just an update on my experiences with 5.0 over the last few weeks.

1) The delay in start-up is getting really frustrating at time. Most of the time, if I'm not in a hurry, I can unplug, load my briefcase, buckle-up, etc, and the car is ready to go. If I'm in a hurry and need to just jump in and go, then it's a little frustrating waiting about 20-30 seconds. Horrible? No. I have been in situations, several times now, where I was parked at a meter, saw a break in traffic and I couldn't pull out of the spot.
Several times, it took well over 30 seconds after I was buckled-in.

2) My connection with the app has been extremely variable, sometimes taking as much as 15 minutes to connect. I was sitting at a restaurant today, right in front of my car, with an excellent signal on both my phone and car. Never connected after 20 minutes, trying resets, retries, etc.

Makes sense to delay the roll out until all the bugs can be fixed. From what I have read it appears the GPS problem is related more to the gyros. Either a real problem with the hardware or a quick fixable problem with the firmware at the Service Centers.

Makes sense to delay the roll out until all the bugs can be fixed. From what I have read it appears the GPS problem is related more to the gyros. Either a real problem with the hardware or a quick fixable problem with the firmware at the Service Centers.

If it's a hardware problem, then why does the GPS work fine in 4.5? Seems to me to be all software related.

I'm curious as to how Tesla will reconcile sleep mode with connectivity.

Put the car to sleep and reduce vampire drain....but lose connectivity.

Keep connectivity active at all times....but increase vampire drain. (For example, active connectivity in laptops is one of the biggest sources of battery drain)

I guess some sort of fast wake-up mode for the 3G hardware? First priority in the wake-up sequence?

If it's a hardware problem, then why does the GPS work fine in 4.5? Seems to me to be all software related.

Jerry, Many cars with 5.0 do not seem to be having problems with the GPS. The ones that are appear to be split between being 'fixable' with recalibration at a SC while others seem to need a gyro replacement from threads/comments I have read.

The cars with problems seem to fall into the end of the quarter rush. Much like 'Lolacampcar' has noted this is a little distressing as it appears there are some quality control issues recently.

If a cell phone with a 1440 mAh battery can poll the cell tower all day, the model S should not have issues polling. Unless of course they have it tied into other systems and require they are fully powered as well.

It appears the polling issue is part of the 'sleep mode'. So, connections times when the car is sleeping seems to take a long time.....

1) The delay in start-up is getting really frustrating at time... Several times, it took well over 30 seconds after I was buckled-in.

2) My connection with the app has been extremely variable, sometimes taking as much as 15 minutes to connect. I was sitting at a restaurant today, right in front of my car, with an excellent signal on both my phone and car. Never connected after 20 minutes, trying resets, retries, etc.

That is slightly discouraging. Is this what everyone else with 5.0 is seeing? Initial estimates pegged start up time at 11 seconds, but 30 seconds is unacceptable IMHO. Also, 20 minutes for the mobile app? What's up with that? Seems crazy.

----update----

That's just it, they should be able to keep the car polling all day with negligible impact to battery, while putting the rest of the car to sleep.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. The car is always connected via 3G, but in order for it to communicate SOC, location, etc. the systems have to wake up.

That is slightly discouraging. Is this what everyone else with 5.0 is seeing? Initial estimates pegged start up time at 11 seconds, but 30 seconds is unacceptable IMHO. Also, 20 minutes for the mobile app? What's up with that? Seems crazy.
The login server was down part of yesterday, hence the 20 minutes. The 30 seconds isn't a huge jump from the 15-20 seconds it has always taken, and is hardly unacceptable considering over a sometimes fast/sometimes slow connection it needs to verify security credentials, ping the car, wake it enough to provide data, etc. (and over a 3G connection on the way back, incidentally). Frankly it is a bit of a miracle of modern technology that it takes only 30 seconds. It takes longer for ESPN's mobile homepage to show up sometimes!