Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I was at the San Rafael SC yesterday and asked about getting 5.0 uploaded while there for another issue--no luck.
TM still is beta testing/working out the bugs before mass release I have been told. I am not sure it was a great idea to give all newly produced cars the 5.0 until it is perfected instead of just finishing Beta testing/corrections but I guess TM figures it does give them more people testing it and may be needed for some of the hardware that is now available.

I picked up my S60 on 9/12 and it had 5.0 build 1.35.102.
View attachment 30992

My maps/GPS are completely wonky - it is rarely accurate for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. After that it will start to randomly locate my car between 50' - 1 mile away from its actual location, and almost always heading in the wrong direction. Even more impressive is the Model S "blender":

Stop doing donuts! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
JPP
Thanks for the confirmation--it's not like San Rafael is in a different country than Fremont (which is where I usually go to....)

They are usually more responsive in Fremont whereas they try to brush you off in San Rafael. In the case of 5.0 - I guess no SC is installing it.

I picked up my S60 on 9/12 and it had 5.0 build 1.35.102

My maps/GPS are completely wonky - it is rarely accurate for more than 3-5 minutes at a time. After that it will start to randomly locate my car between 50' - 1 mile away from its actual location, and almost always heading in the wrong direction. Even more impressive is the Model S "blender":
Love the soundtrack on the video! Must be some kind of hardware issue.

If any new music program comes out, I hope it's MOG. If you haven't checked it out, you should. Downloadable songs/albums (without paying per album), streaming songs/albums, and Internet radio (with the ability to pick how much of a variety you want on that station) all for a low monthly fee.

Storage space for five albums or so would be nice too.

I've got 5.0!!!!!! ....

I've finally experienced 5.0 but sadly for me it's on the loaner car I got from the Service Center. Went to bed with the car unplugged at 203 Rated miles and woke up with 202. The first few days I had the car I didn't even notice the screen having to boot up from sleep because I pop the hood, trunk, or unplug the charge cable and by the time I'm finished putting things away the car's ready to go.

I like the improvements to the map. Pinch to zoom keeps the zoom instead of snapping back to some predetermine zoom increment. Reorienting the view to point a different direction beside north up works just like my smartphone. Finally the refreshing of the traffic is working. In 4.5, I constantly had stale traffic data and needed to switch between satellite view to see the latest. Turning traffic on and off didn't work to refresh in 4.5. Now in 5.0 it seem traffic is refreshed when you get in the car and and some predetermined time interval.

Having Wifi enabled is pretty awesome but I'll still most likely buy whatever 3G package is available and use wifi when the car gets into a spotty coverage area.

Not sure what the hold up is but I want 5.0 now even if there are bugs. At least on the loaner it's pretty solid.

Only issues I've noticed are: Browser is still slow to load and scroll pages with heavy graphics, sometimes browse tab location of music you're playing on the USB sometimes gets forgotten (it's been improved since 4.5 but not as good as 4.4 ability to always remember location)

I was at the Portland service center yesterday (nail in a tire - they did the rear window clips since I was there already) and tried to talk my way into 5.0.
No luck.
But I learned that there are beta testers in the Portland area who apparently already have "something above 5.5". The service advisor wasn't willing to give any more info but said he had a car in last week with an even newer version that he had never seen before...

I was at the Portland service center yesterday (nail in a tire - they did the rear window clips since I was there already) and tried to talk my way into 5.0.
No luck.
But I learned that there are beta testers in the Portland area who apparently already have "something above 5.5". The service advisor wasn't willing to give any more info but said he had a car in last week with an even newer version that he had never seen before...
I heard this also.

This post over on the TM forum makes it seem as though it is a hardware calibration issue and NOT an issue with 5.0:

>> I've checked recently and from what I've been told this issue is a very high priority for the engineers right now but there is not as of yet a way to fix it remotely through software. Supposedly if you bring the car into a service center they can do the fix in person by some sort of recalibration.

So I guess that's good news regarding the software side of things, but then I wonder what else is holding up the rollout.
fwiw, I have 5.0 and GPS problems (GPS is off by a block or two, or goes around and around in circles). I had had an appointment to take my car in for service, but then the SC canceled it, saying that they had found out the fix would be via a software upgrade. But I've no idea when it'll come.

That's all well and good, but just give me 5.0 and I'll be happy.
A little birdy told me that Tesla is considering skipping a 5.0 roll-out all together. The birdy wasn't willing to commit to a time frame for a 5.x version that would be ready for general rollout.
When pressed (note to self, never try to press little birdies), the little birdy was getting surely with me stating that the time for inside information was up...