Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I second the idea that sleep mode should be optional. For me, I only care about vampire drain when the car is plugged in. When my car is plugged in, I'm not going to use it for probably 10 hours, so any vampire drain is straight wasted energy. I don't mind wasting some energy to have the car ready to roll immediately during the day. For example, running errands at 5 different places where you're in and out in just a few minutes. I usually use the app to leave the AC running the whole time I'm inside the store. Hopefully there's a 10-15min delay before sleep mode engages, at a minimum.

I imagine that if the AC is running it wont go to sleep.

Wait, you didn't sleep in the car??? I'm appalled!
Wow. No one told him if he did not sleep in the car the first night that Ranger Service was going to take the car back because he was a 'bad' owner!

Sleep mode: I understand it does not go 'on' immediately when you leave the car. Also, if the car starts up in 10 seconds or less is that really that much of an inconvience to save
75% of the previous vampire loss?

I wonder how many manufacturers will emulate TM method of updating firmware in the future. Simply brilliant. I can have a car with new features. Love it!...

For those out there complaining that Tesla does physical car updates (like parking sensors and price changes) at random times, they should just remember that free software updates are universal.

Last edited:
I wonder how the sleep mode will affect API access? I'm currently collecting stats on my car via the API. Will this break my polling, or will polling the car keep it awake?

Interesting question. I was wondering the same.
Just out of curiosity... Which data are you collecting? I'm adding to the teslams project to be able to track more things, but am wondering what people really want.
So would you mind sharing which data you track and at what interval?

I second the idea that sleep mode should be optional. For me, I only care about vampire drain when the car is plugged in. When my car is plugged in, I'm not going to use it for probably 10 hours, so any vampire drain is straight wasted energy. I don't mind wasting some energy to have the car ready to roll immediately during the day. For example, running errands at 5 different places where you're in and out in just a few minutes. I usually use the app to leave the AC running the whole time I'm inside the store. Hopefully there's a 10-15min delay before sleep mode engages, at a minimum.

Wasted energy is a valid concern. If you are plugged in, you will still have an adequate enough charge for your needs, unless you need a range charge and need to push it.
My concern was for the times when I'm NOT plugged-in. If I'm away from home and don't have access to power, I would want to save as much juice as I can. When I'm local, I wouldn't mind losing some range here and there in exchange for a rapid wake up.

Ideally, there should be a setting for "Allow rapid wake-up" or "Prevent sleep mode". There could be the standard disclaimer: "If you select this option, you may lose range while parked a more rapid rate..."
OTOH, if there cannot be a setting, I'd take this new feature over the old.

(1) Interesting question. I was wondering the same.
(2) Just out of curiosity... Which data are you collecting? I'm adding to the teslams project to be able to track more things, but am wondering what people really want.
So would you mind sharing which data you track and at what interval?
(1) I'm curious if the wake up command actually wakes it up from sleep (which echoes what a Tesla rep said at one point, before we knew about 5.0). If it does, that's great for telemetry logging but bad for sleep being effective. If it doesn't, that's great for being able to leave telemetry logging on full-time without it "ruining" sleep mode power savings. So I'm curious to see which route they took.
(2) My logging does the following: (a) query all the non-streaming data, (b) being streaming, (c) when streaming rejects the token as expired return to (a). This means I'm not polling the non-streaming data often (meaning I don't see the state transitions between door opened and door closed) but I do get "periodic" updates which makes it easy to see stuff like "car_version changed" at semi-regular intervals.

(2) My logging does the following: (a) query all the non-streaming data, (b) being streaming, (c) when streaming rejects the token as expired return to (a). This means I'm not polling the non-streaming data often (meaning I don't see the state transitions between door opened and door closed) but I do get "periodic" updates which makes it easy to see stuff like "car_version changed" at semi-regular intervals.
Interesting approach. I'm currently polling charge state every minute... Just to have a better data set for energy consumption and to be able to track voltage / currents.
But I like the idea of logging /everything/ else whenever the token expires.
I'll add that to the teslams streaming client in the next few days...