Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New question re 5.0

Historically, what's been the lag between the owner's manual being updated to match the latest firmware release, at least the major upgrades like 4.5 -> 5?

I ask because on my Dashboard the link to the owner's manual PDF is a file for the 4.0 firmware, copyrighted 2012... hmm

To everyone talking about sleep mode, waking up, keeping the car awake, etc. please read my previous post in this thread: Firmware 5.0 - Page 8
With respect to how long it takes to sleep -- it's certainly long enough that it's not an issue for quick store/shopping visits. Everyone here who's "freaking out" about the sleep mode doesn't need to (based on the concerns raised thus far).

To everyone talking about sleep mode, waking up, keeping the car awake, etc. please read my previous post in this thread: Firmware 5.0 - Page 8
With respect to how long it takes to sleep -- it's certainly long enough that it's not an issue for quick store/shopping visits. Everyone here who's "freaking out" about the sleep mode doesn't need to (based on the concerns raised thus far).

Agreed. From the experience of people with the 5.0 release, the car is totally awake, all systems ready, ok to drive within 10 seconds of opening the door. The trade off for this minimal wake up time is the vampire loss appears to be cut by about 75%. There seems to be some variation in the phone app being able to connect to the car quickly....I believe the Firmware notes says up to 45 seconds.
Maybe TM will be able to offer the option of both the 'old' mode and the new one but I believe that the gain (less vampire loss) far outweighs the loss (wake up time of 10 seconds).

Appreciate the report...

Have you observed what seems to trigger the wake up action? It appears one person has mentioned opening the door... do you know if disconnecting the charge cable, remotely triggering HVAC, opening trunk/frunk, etc... initiate the wake-up process?

Thanks.

Here is my report with regard to "vampire loss" and "sleep mode"... I left my car unplugged last night (gasp!) to determine this. As of 9 pm CT, I had 224 miles of range. As of 10:30 am CT this morning, I had 222 miles of range. The remote app took 35 seconds to connect to the car to tell me this. I have no other telemetry / API access items running. That's about half the rate of loss I had previously under 4.5.

As mentioned earlier up-thread, the car takes 11 seconds between the time I open the door (when the contactors click on and things begin starting up) and the time I can place the car in reverse. I suppose if you're Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane, this might worry you 'bout chasing them fast-acting Duke boys, but for me it's been a complete non-issue.

Here is my report with regard to "vampire loss" and "sleep mode"... I left my car unplugged last night (gasp!) to determine this. As of 9 pm CT, I had 224 miles of range. As of 10:30 am CT this morning, I had 222 miles of range. The remote app took 35 seconds to connect to the car to tell me this..

Can you (if you have not already) repeat this "test" on more than one occasion? Are your results reproducible?
Thanks

Sleep mode: I understand it does not go 'on' immediately when you leave the car.

That's good.

Also, if the car starts up in 10 seconds or less

That's bad. And 3-4 seconds before I can even close the garage door...of course, since I can't leave for 10-11 seconds anyway, I suppose the delay on the main screen is trivial. Although on a hot day, since I'm not in the habit of pre-cooling, I may not actually enter the car--just stand in the heat (avoiding the higher heat within the car).

I should get in the habit of precooling, but the A/C is so powerful, I've almost never needed it. Also, precooling via the app resets two settings (A/C, which I always want on...and the recycle resets to smelly outside exhaust-from-ICE air), so I usually avoid it anyway. One day hopefully they'll fix that bug, too.

is that really that much of an inconvience to save 75% of the previous vampire loss?

Of course. Vampire loss may bother me a couple of times a year, on a trip with poor charging options, whereas instant responsiveness is an awesome feature I use every day that will annoy me, once I get 5.0, every day. Plus it'll be slower than hopping into an ICE and getting going--not a comparison Tesla wants, I'm sure.

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy the've added this--I know this bugged a lot of people (some purely for OCD reasons, IMHO; a few for actual "I need every mile in the tank" reasons). But it should be optional, and I expect one day it will be. The main bummer about not being like this initially is that Tesla sometimes takes a while to get around to refining a feature, once added. So we may be stuck with the current no-option-sleep mode for quite a while.

Ah well, it won't make the list of major problems in my life, I have food on my table, etc. :tongue:

Don't get me wrong; I'm happy the've added this--I know this bugged a lot of people (some purely for OCD reasons, IMHO; a few for actual "I need every mile in the tank" reasons). But it should be optional, and I expect one day it will be. The main bummer about not being like this initially is that Tesla sometimes takes a while to get around to refining a feature, once added. So we may be stuck with the current no-option-sleep mode for quite a while.

Ah well, it won't make the list of major problems in my life, I have food on my table, etc. :tongue:

Well, it's also a huge waste of power. It's like having a 300W appliance on all the time. For a "green" vehicle, that's unacceptable.

I wasn't worried about a short stop to shop--more thinking about the daily grind. But I'm not "freaking out" (did you have to be so dismissive to everyone who would like it optional? sigh) . . . just bummed because it'll be a minor annoyance every day until it's optional.

On the other paw, as FlasherZ points out, it's from opening the door. Maybe I'm overestimating how quickly I get into the car. I'm no Roscoe, nor Duke brother! ;-) I may be slower than I think, and not even notice it. I'll try to reserve judgement. ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, it's also a huge waste of power.

Huge?!

It's like having a 300W appliance on all the time. For a "green" vehicle, that's unacceptable.

...for you. I'm happy to save a little more money, but I doubt this will have a dramatic effect on my power bill. The bulk of that comes from cooling our house in the summer, not from charging the car a little longer. YYMV.

I wasn't worried about a short stop to shop--more thinking about the daily grind. But I'm not "freaking out" (did you have to be so dismissive to everyone who would like it optional? sigh) . . . just bummed because it'll be a minor annoyance every day until it's optional.

On the other paw, as FlasherZ points out, it's from opening the door. Maybe I'm overestimating how quickly I get into the car. I'm no Roscoe, nor Duke brother! ;-) I may be slower than I think, and not even notice it. I'll try to reserve judgement. ;-)

What I saw in this thread was a number of people being awfully concerned about a feature with virtually zero information and having never personally used it. My intent is to be calming and informative (not dismissive). Just as you said, reserve judgement until you use it. In my opinion -- having used it -- it's not an issue.

BTW, a constant 300W power draw is 219 kWh/mo or almost $40/mo for me.