Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Inside story short, my car was not properly sleeping. After they got it to sleep, my phone did the "Connecting ..." thing so it wasn't an immediate connect. I'll re-form my opinions after a couple days and post back :)

So 2 days later, I can say that the sleep mode hasn't been intrusive to my normal routine (mobile app comments aside). When I've opened the trunk first and did stuff, then disconnected the charging cable, and then got in the car, it was done booting. When I use the keyfob to unlock the car and then disconnect the cable (and hang it up), it's done booting. When I put my bag in the rear driver's side first and then go to the driver's side, it's a few seconds from being done booting. If I just jump right into the car, I have to wait -- but I use that time to buckle up and put the phone in its place, etc ... no big deal.
The app delay is more annoying. What I've been doing (when I want to pre-condition the car) is opening the app to trigger it to wake up, do something else (like use the restroom or whatever), open it again and turn on HVAC or whatever and move on. I'll probably get used to it, but it's unfortunate.

To: [email protected] -
  1. When you pause a song on slacker and then let the vehicle go to sleep, does the vehicle resume with the same station, song, and pause location?
  2. When you log into TMC and then let the vehicle go to sleep, does the vehicle resume with the TMC session still active or does a refresh of the page trigger a re-login experience?

My car was at the service center yesterday so I asked them to install 5.0 but they said it is on hold to fix some bugs.

i-dont-always-test.jpg

So 2 days later, I can say that the sleep mode hasn't been intrusive to my normal routine (mobile app comments aside). When I've opened the trunk first and did stuff, then disconnected the charging cable, and then got in the car, it was done booting. When I use the keyfob to unlock the car and then disconnect the cable (and hang it up), it's done booting. When I put my bag in the rear driver's side first and then go to the driver's side, it's a few seconds from being done booting. If I just jump right into the car, I have to wait -- but I use that time to buckle up and put the phone in its place, etc ... no big deal.
The app delay is more annoying. What I've been doing (when I want to pre-condition the car) is opening the app to trigger it to wake up, do something else (like use the restroom or whatever), open it again and turn on HVAC or whatever and move on. I'll probably get used to it, but it's unfortunate.

^ This sums it up for me.

I just shared this on the official forums:

I took my car in for service yesterday and got a brand new loaner (brown 60, leather, tech) with 5.0 installed. Tesla tech said it was a beta version/car to see how the update goes. The new map improvements were awesome. Zooming and moving the map was very smooth compared to my car on v4.5(61). But you can no longer get in and quickly be on your way. The dash 'cluster' (behind the steering wheel) display now takes 5-10 seconds to be ready. No more just putting your foot on the brake, shifting and going. Now you put your foot on the break and wait. It will be great to not have the drain, but in my day-to-day driving, I don't use all of my 60's range. But I am in and out of my car 8-10 times/day, I'd rather have the car ready when I get in. Then again, in the long run this will save a LOT of miles wasted per year, which translate to lower power bills at home.

The car didn't have parking sensors, so I couldn't test those. Also I don't use creep, so I don't know much about that update. Also didn't use tow mode. I did see the wifi networks available in the pull-down, but didn't connect to any of them.
Again, the map update is amazing. Waiting for boot up... not so much.

+1 on this. I am running 5.0 and it would be better if there was a setting for determining how long before the 'supersaver mode' goes into effect. I would likely choose ~18 hours.

That or putting the car to sleep manually (i.e. park at the airport, "sleep" car).

I've been waiting for the update myself before judging, but honestly, from what I've read: me too. It seems some (most?) are experiencing 0 mile loss. Well, I'd take 1-3 mile loss per day if it meant my car responded to the app and myself instantly. We shall see I guess.

Wi-Fi and Tethering in Version 5.0

20130823_102734.jpg
Perhaps this is old news but thought I'd share:

Turned in Model S for annual maintenance at 11.5k miles today. Dallas service center. They gave me a Performance Plus loaner with 300 miles on it and Version 5.0. Front and rear sensors works great and include a nice little picture to the left of the spedometer dynamically showing how far you are from the obstacle. The maps app seemed to load and scroll faster. Also, you can flip the google maps so it shows 1) North at the top or 2) your cars direction always pointing up. This flips the google maps app upside down when going south. The street names remain upside down. Also Wi-Fi tethering was available. There was another potential owner driving a Ferrari looking to buy a Tesla. Tesla is years ahead of the competition for sure!

(Sorry I don't know how to rotate the image)

I have Unlimited 4G LTE with ATT with Wi-Fi tethering, but I actually don't think I will use it with my Model S when I get Version 5.0 b/c 3G works just fine.
View attachment 29018

Last edited:
I drove a Leaf before the Model S. It does not start up right away after you press the start button. There is a few second delay as it boots up during which a little electronic tune is played. I got used to it very quickly. I will gladly take the delay people are describing in 5.0 for reduced vampire load.

Perhaps this is old news but thought I'd share:

Turned in Model S for annual maintenance at 11.5k miles today. Dallas service center. They gave me a Performance Plus loaner with 300 miles on it and Version 5.0. Front and rear sensors works great and include a nice little picture to the left of the spedometer dynamically showing how far you are from the obstacle. The maps app seemed to load and scroll faster. Also, you can flip the google maps so it shows 1) North at the top or 2) your cars direction always pointing up. This flips the google maps app upside down when going south. The street names remain upside down. Also Wi-Fi tethering was available. There was another potential owner driving a Ferrari looking to buy a Tesla. Tesla is years ahead of the competition for sure!

(Sorry I don't know how to rotate the image)

I have Unlimited 4G LTE with ATT with Wi-Fi tethering, but I actually don't think I will use it with my Model S when I get Version 5.0 b/c 3G works just fine.
View attachment 29018

AWESOME--thanks for pic and info!

Last edited:
I just shared this on the official forums:

I took my car in for service yesterday and got a brand new loaner (brown 60, leather, tech) with 5.0 installed. Tesla tech said it was a beta version/car to see how the update goes. The new map improvements were awesome. Zooming and moving the map was very smooth compared to my car on v4.5(61). But you can no longer get in and quickly be on your way. The dash 'cluster' (behind the steering wheel) display now takes 5-10 seconds to be ready. No more just putting your foot on the brake, shifting and going. Now you put your foot on the break and wait. It will be great to not have the drain, but in my day-to-day driving, I don't use all of my 60's range. But I am in and out of my car 8-10 times/day, I'd rather have the car ready when I get in. Then again, in the long run this will save a LOT of miles wasted per year, which translate to lower power bills at home.

The car didn't have parking sensors, so I couldn't test those. Also I don't use creep, so I don't know much about that update. Also didn't use tow mode. I did see the wifi networks available in the pull-down, but didn't connect to any of them.
Again, the map update is amazing. Waiting for boot up... not so much.

So I thought the booting up started the moment you wake the car/unlock or unplug, not just when you step on the brake?