Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clarification:
My recollection is that if you left the web app open/visible, cookies were retained unless you invoked original sleep.

Ahh, ok. I rarely use the web browser except when I'm waiting for one of the kids to get done with practice or whatever. Bugs me that I have to log into everything again. Sounds like the same effect - sleep mode essentially shut down the web app and so it tossed the cookies.

Based on my experience so far, it no longer does that. For me, the center screen doesn't really go to sleep in 5.0, it's immediately available to me. The "instrument cluster" powers down, and perhaps some of the radios, etc. in the center screen, but the apps still run, music is still remembered, etc.

Don't know if this is a new feature, as I don't own a Model S, but it looks like there is a new tab titled 'Xtras'. Could this be a new feature in 5.0? Found the pic today while browsing around on the Design Studio. You can see it on the right side of the touchscreen next to the phone tab.
ui_option_extended_napa_leather_2_large.jpg

Don't know if this is a new feature, as I don't own a Model S, but it looks like there is a new tab titled 'Xtras'. Could this be a new feature in 5.0? Found the pic today while browsing around on the Design Studio. You can see it on the right side of the touchscreen next to the phone tab.

I don't have it... curious nonetheless. :)

Could be a factory mode thing or something?

Probably has something to do with third party apps (when they finally release the SDK, of course, which I wouldn't count on happening anytime soon).

On another note, has anyone received 5.0 as an OTA (beta testers excluded)? Coming up on the end of August and the roll out is taking forever.

Been running 5.0 for 2 weeks now. Never saw this.

I believe that's an old picture. 99% certain I saw it before, maybe a year ago? In any case it's an early version of the FW as indicated by the position of the icons in the very top of the screen. In previous iterations the 3G signal, Bluetooth icon etc. all moved slightly to the left (presumably making space for the WiFi icon).

View attachment 29346
This is from very old (pre-production, I think) firmware. I know this because I remember the early firmware and this icon. :)

You can tell it's older than 4.5 (or older than 4.4, I forget) by the separated 3G and bar graph icons at the top.
You can also tell it's older than 4.5 because it's missing the lightning bolt to the right of the crosshairs at the top right of the map.

I believe that's an old picture. 99% certain I saw it before, maybe a year ago? In any case it's an early version of the FW as indicated by the position of the icons in the very top of the screen. In previous iterations the 3G signal, Bluetooth icon etc. all moved slightly to the left (presumably making space for the WiFi icon).

The Wi-Fi icon replaces the 3G icon when active.

That's already been fixed. Wonder what else is holding it up ...

Couldn't say. I had wanted the update before I leave town for a month. No place to keep my car plugged in and figured the reduced energy usage in sleep mode would be nice. They felt for me. Even went so far as to offer storing my car at the service center and dropping me off at the airport. That was a unique and amazing experience that I've never had from any other auto company. I might just take them up on it.

That's already been fixed. Wonder what else is holding it up ...

My opinion: Trying to decide if they want to give owners the option on the control screen of using 'sleep mode' that saves energy vs. 'old mode' that has 'immediate on' but has more vampire loss. In addition, I suspect they are working on better app to car connection speed before general release.

I suspect the same. Despite it not being ideal, I wish they would release 5.0 and update the mobile app later. I'd put up with a long connection time for the time being in exchange for not losing several miles overnight.

Agreed, but they are probably worried more about complaints from people whose app connections times are very long or just don't get connected versus everyone that has been waiting for a vampire loss fix. The vampire loss group (me) have already expressed their concerns while there will be a whole new group of complaints from the 'new' group that will complain about connection times. Simplest fix, IMO, is giving people the option on control pattern of 'old' way or 'new' way while they are working on a permanent fix for everything.

Service in Burlingame reiterated that 5.0 is on hold due to issues. The guy there was from Seattle and mentioned they had one or two cars up there that were updated and refused to wake up.

My understanding is that some new cars are shipping with 5.0, others still with 4.5. If the software isn't ready, why are they installing it on some new vehicles? Mine was delivered just this past Friday and build completed earlier last week. My car arrived with 4.5 installed, but I also don't have any features that require 5.0 (parking sensors, winter package, etc.).

My understanding is that some new cars are shipping with 5.0, others still with 4.5. If the software isn't ready, why are they installing it on some new vehicles? Mine was delivered just this past Friday and build completed earlier last week. My car arrived with 4.5 installed, but I also don't have any features that require 5.0 (parking sensors, winter package, etc.).

4.5 doesn't support parking sensors. So if a new car has those, they need 5.0. But if there are known problems (I now have seen two reports about care refusing to wake up) then they are smart to try to address those, first.

Interestingly I have an email from someone who appears to have received 5.0 over the air without being a beta tester. Still trying to get more information from him (or to have him post here...)