Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The login server was down part of yesterday, hence the 20 minutes. The 30 seconds isn't a huge jump from the 15-20 seconds it has always taken, and is hardly unacceptable considering over a sometimes fast/sometimes slow connection it needs to verify security credentials, ping the car, wake it enough to provide data, etc. (and over a 3G connection on the way back, incidentally). Frankly it is a bit of a miracle of modern technology that it takes only 30 seconds. It takes longer for ESPN's mobile homepage to show up sometimes!

By comparison: OVMS, which provides equivalent functionality, takes an average of 2 to 3 seconds. Main difference is we don't have to wake up the entire car to get a response from the module in the car.

I realise that it is an architectural choice, but waiting 30 seconds is not what I would call a great user experience on a smartphone.

Regards, Mark.

2) My connection with the app has been extremely variable, sometimes taking as much as 15 minutes to connect. I was sitting at a restaurant today, right in front of my car, with an excellent signal on both my phone and car. Never connected after 20 minutes, trying resets, retries, etc.
Just curious, how long did it take to connect with your previous car? Was it an issue then?

That is slightly discouraging. Is this what everyone else with 5.0 is seeing? Initial estimates pegged start up time at 11 seconds, but 30 seconds is unacceptable IMHO. Also, 20 minutes for the mobile app? What's up with that? Seems crazy.

----update----

I'm pretty sure that's how it works. The car is always connected via 3G, but in order for it to communicate SOC, location, etc. the systems have to wake up.

Tesla could cache some of this data for faster response. How much can the car's location change while it is asleep? Unless of course it's on a truck being delivered (or stolen).
Even SOC should be fairly constant when in sleep mode.

Tesla could cache some of this data for faster response. How much can the car's location change while it is asleep? Unless of course it's on a truck being delivered (or stolen).

And realistically all you really need are the stats when it fell asleep, and the ability to force a wakeup. At which time you could get new data after 30-45 seconds.

And realistically all you really need are the stats when it fell asleep, and the ability to force a wakeup. At which time you could get new data after 30-45 seconds.

What is the point in having the app "appear" to be connected with old, cached data when it is actually still connecting to new data? Tho I have not yet experienced 5.0 connection, I'd rather wait 30 secs and then have all app functions working than have app appear to function earlier, even though it isn't. Of course, it would also be nice to have the 30 secs cut down... and I'm sure Tesla will whittle away at it.

This discussion reminds me of hilarious and true Louis CK bit on cell phones - if you haven't heard it is worth a few minutes.

I had the same idea and so I emailed ownership a couple weeks ago.

The 30 seconds isn't a huge jump from the 15-20 seconds it has always taken, and is hardly unacceptable considering over a sometimes fast/sometimes slow connection it needs to verify security credentials, ping the car, wake it enough to provide data, etc. (and over a 3G connection on the way back, incidentally). Frankly it is a bit of a miracle of modern technology that it takes only 30 seconds. It takes longer for ESPN's mobile homepage to show up sometimes!

We are talking about two different things. 30 seconds is how long the car supposedly takes to start up, not the mobile app.

I had the same idea and so I emailed ownership a couple weeks ago.

We are talking about two different things. 30 seconds is how long the car supposedly takes to start up, not the mobile app.

5.0: From what I have read: Full start up of onborad computer functions is about 10 seconds after some type of 'contact' is made with the car: opening trunk/frunk; remote opening of door. Connection between the car and phone app takes about 45-60 seconds when the car is in the sleep mode. Reports are that sleep mode starts about 15 minutes after you have left the car.

Just curious, how long did it take to connect with your previous car? Was it an issue then?

My old car used OnStar. It too was slow and often did not connect. Kind of similar to how our current app functions. The issue here is that it worked far better (according to what I've read here) with prior versions. I only have experience with 5.0.

As I have said many times before, I could live with it as is, if I had no choice, and would take this over vampire drain. Of course, I would like it to work better if possible. If TM cannot solve this, then I would like an option to disable sleep mode (just like on my PC). Even better, again if they can't fix it, additional options as to when sleep mode becomes active (i.e.: After 30 min, after 1 hour, after 2 hours...).

That is slightly discouraging. Is this what everyone else with 5.0 is seeing? Initial estimates pegged start up time at 11 seconds, but 30 seconds is unacceptable IMHO. Also, 20 minutes for the mobile app? What's up with that? Seems crazy.

On the loaner, I'm consistently seeing less than 10 seconds to wakup but I don't fall into the speedy getaway category. One day i jumped in the car while the screen was booting up and a couple seconds into bootup i shifted to reverse with no problems. I don't see the big deal. Unfortunately i can't comment on the mobile app w the loaner.

On the loaner, I'm consistently seeing less than 10 seconds to wakup but I don't fall into the speedy getaway category. One day i jumped in the car while the screen was booting up and a couple seconds into bootup i shifted to reverse with no problems. I don't see the big deal. Unfortunately i can't comment on the mobile app w the loaner.

10 seconds would be no big deal. Unfortunately, that is not what I am seeing. You really begin to feel it when it's 20 sec or longer.

10 seconds would be no big deal. Unfortunately, that is not what I am seeing. You really begin to feel it when it's 20 sec or longer.

I have 5.0 and 10 sec would be the max I have waited, if that. By the time I open the door, sit in the car, put my seat belt on, the car is ready. The longest I've waited after all that is about 2-3 seconds. If thats too long for you, then just wake the car up while your walking to the car by pressing the top of the fob.

You just can't make some people happy. A few seconds to wake the car up is a dam good trade-off for 8+ miles of range lost by vamp drain.

I have 5.0 and 10 sec would be the max I have waited, if that. By the time I open the door, sit in the car, put my seat belt on, the car is ready. The longest I've waited after all that is about 2-3 seconds. If thats too long for you, then just wake the car up while your walking to the car by pressing the top of the fob.

You just can't make some people happy. A few seconds to wake the car up is a dam good trade-off for 8+ miles of range lost by vamp drain.

I agree that the 10 seconds is acceptable and what is seen by most people but if 4SUPER9 is experiencing 20 seconds or more that would give me cause for concern. Personally, I would have the local SC or TM central reload his 5.0. That may solve the issue.

Renegade,

Would you, by any chance, be willing to make a video showing the delay? Starting from walking up to the car, letting the handles pop out by themselves (no fob) and then sitting in the car? Just to get a feel for the delay?

Thanks!