Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, having multiple times done a reboot of both displays while driving without causing any issue with driving related functionality, figured I'd give it a try while parked to see if I could still shift into D or R. No problems there while either display was restarting, but not sure how different a soft reboot is vs waking the car from sleep, as I don't have 5.0 on my S.

I believe that the 5.6 they have in Europe shows that you will be given a power management choice: Sleep mode with slow start up and slow app connection with little vampire loss or something similar to the 4.5 power management.

v5.0-v5.6 turns on the wi-fi antenna. Just click on the bar graph on the upper right of the touch screen, find the wi-fi signal you want, click on it (enter password if needed) and boom, you're surfin' the web just like on the iPhone, only much slower. :confused:

Yes, the power management option is the only really new "feature" with 5.6. The rest is behind-the-scenes bug fixes.
Yes... but most importantly, 5.6 appears to be a new minor build number (1.45.x) and is bringing together the different branches that Tesla was on. So this has us hopeful that this is a sign that we are getting closer to a general rollout of 5.x...

Renegade,

Would you, by any chance, be willing to make a video showing the delay? Starting from walking up to the car, letting the handles pop out by themselves (no fob) and then sitting in the car? Just to get a feel for the delay?

Thanks!

I made a couple of videos, but don't have the connection to post them right now (I've also never posted a video before, but assume it's no hard).

Unfortunately (actually, fortunately), since I've been trying to capture a long delay. When the car is asleep, I am getting exactly 15 sec from door opening to dash screen on. What I need to do is go from presenting of handles to getting the car into Drive. There have been some delays for me from after the dash is ready to when it will accept my press on the brake. Actually, several times after wake-up is complete, I found myself pressing on the brake with the car not turning on. I have to make sure my foot is not on the brake until everything is ready, or sometimes (though not every time I think), the car won't turn on until I release and press it again.

Anyway, since Europe's 5.6 has the option, all this discussion will be superfluous. This is good enough for me. Ideally, I would have sleep mode with a rapid wake up. Guess there were barriers...

I was told that release of 5.6 to N.A. is soon (5.0 will not be the next step for most of us). Apparently they had to work out some bugs with the sleep function on early builds-- some cars were taking as much as 2 hours to wake up! Also, release was somewhat delayed by engineering resources being committed to the EU rollout.

Just spoke with tech support. 5.6 to be downloaded to all cars next month. It takes about an hour. Vampire drain will be less. We get if I understand correctly, web hotspot as well as ability to connect to house wi-fi.

Natick mall mass. sales person says that two new superchargers for Northeast in Nov. Providence RI and Sturbridge MA. Rt. 90

So reported to [email protected] a couple glitches in both consoles. Got call back tonight and person from OE said I would be receiving version "5.6 in "a few weeks" which would resolve issues. Found that version number, which he was extremely explicit on, to be interesting.

Not really surprising -- Europe cars already receiving 5.6 OTA updates. This just aligns the US/Europe versions...