Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After months of pushing cancel update, in order to keep my auto lowering feature, I pulled the trigger tonight. After the update I am now on 5.8.7. One step closer to 5.9...

I guess I have to live with no auto lowering for a while until I am prompted to update at least one more time.

I mentioned the supercharger dot sizes.... Here are some pics. Sorry for clunking up this page with redundant pics. Funny how turning traffic on gets rid of state names in night mode without satellite imagery...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,044
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,020
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,017
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,010
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,011
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 999
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,008
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 999
Hmmm, interesting. Preparation for the "autobahn" upgrade Elon mentioned in Munich?

I wonder of they did some testing and decided it was ok, mechanically and electrically, to increase the software imposed max speed limiter.

With Elons last visit to Amsterdam in January he told that the Germany Package was only suspension improvements for better handling at high speeds. There will be no upgrade of max speed :mad:. For US cars that doesnt matter....but we as neighbors of Germany want to speed up at the German Autobahn ;-)

I'm still at 5.6.
Didn't want the suspension settings in 5.8.

How does this work - does it update from 5.6 directly to 5.9??

I have seen it speculated on this forum that the car downloads firmware updates to a temporary location first, and then prompts you to install - and that it won't download a newer version while an older one is still "queued" for install

The end result being that if you've been ignoring the upgrade notification because you wanted to skip 5.8, chances are you won't get 5.9 until you allow that install to complete and wait for the next download

Alternatively visit a friendly service centre, as it seems they are now able to install 5.9

Disclaimer - I'm no expert and don't have a model S (not yet available in Oz) I am basing this purely on speculation I've seen in these firmware threads.

I have seen it speculated on this forum that the car downloads firmware updates to a temporary location first, and then prompts you to install - and that it won't download a newer version while an older one is still "queued" for install

The end result being that if you've been ignoring the upgrade notification because you wanted to skip 5.8, chances are you won't get 5.9 until you allow that install to complete and wait for the next download

Alternatively visit a friendly service centre, as it seems they are now able to install 5.9

Disclaimer - I'm no expert and don't have a model S (not yet available in Oz) I am basing this purely on speculation I've seen in these firmware threads.

This was my theory which I now need to adjust. I was running 5.6 and had been ignoring the update prompt for months. I pulled the trigger yesterday and ended up with 5.8.10. I was not surprised that I didn't get 5.9, but I was surprised that I didn't get an earlier version of 5.8. The car had been prompting me long before 5.8.10 was released, so there is a bit more to the story.

It appears the car may continue to download newer images, but perhaps only minor versions. I expect I'll get the prompt for 5.9 any day (I turned wifi back on).

Count me as one happy S40 owner! I saw my range decrease from 141 when new (in the summer) to about 115 several months later in the winter (after algorithm changes too). But with 5.9 I am back up to a range of 135 even though it is still cold!

I know nothing changed to the battery due to the algorithm changes, but still, seeing the miles left less then miles to go on my infrequent long trips was a bit nerve wracking. I'm glad to see this resolved for us 4% ers.

Last edited:
Now for some issues with 5.9

Clicking some buttons for the first time in a while has some delay. The most notable is the controls button. It's bad. The end result is that if I'm pressing it out of habit, I end up naturally pressing it again subconsciously because it isn't opening. My wife did the same thing. It takes way more focus to press those buttons now. (Controls is the most noticeable, but others like climate control and the top icons seem to have some lag too, but maybe only because I'm looking for it since I found it in the controls button). It only happens the first time you press the button in a minute or so. If you've just pressed the button, it seems to have the menu cached and doesn't need to load it again. It probably takes 2 or 3 seconds to get into the controls menu now after pressing the button a few times.

This morning it took about 3 minutes to come out of sleep mode. I still had lost about 3 miles of vampire drain in 6 hours. The car wouldn't let anything work until the system powered up. Hopefully it was a one time thing while it finished loading some changes.

Perhaps the cause was waking up the car by opening the rear hatch with the button on the hatch, but that isn't good either.

Here is a pic of what the car said:
IMAG0936.jpg

Did you reboot? a couple of times? I'm not scolding, just asking because after last 6 or 7 releases, gotta discount all bug reports immediately after update unless there have been a couple of reboots. And, for those who are about to chime in "the need to reboot is itself a bug", agreed, let's please not start that discussion again!

... First thing I did after installing was check the settings and a reboot. I only did one. I also attempted to do the center screen reboot method when the car was slow posting up (I don't have the method to reboot everything memorized, just the center screen one). I don't know if that helped anything as the center screen was off anyway, but it as shortly after doing it that the car started to fully wake up, starting with the center screen.

I have not received the update yet, and have never experienced auto lowering of the car because 5.8 was already on mine when I took delivery. So, I was wondering - once I have 5.9 and auto-lowering enabled, will I actually notice it while driving on the highway? I am afraid it might be too subtle to notice. Any comments from experienced owners?

Next, about the cold weather battery indicator. Could someone please elaborate how this information is useful to the driver? May be I am missing something here. When the battery is cold, is the rated miles left displayed now a lower number than before? What exactly does *75 mean - that I would have more than 75, had the battery not been cold; or that I have less than 75 because part of it is unusable?

Hill Start Assist, is a nice feature, but as someone mentioned before, I would have loved to have it forever, rather than 1s. That way, when creep is off, I can take my foot off the brake pedal when stopped. By the way, was this a popularly requested feature? I don't remember many people (if any) asking for this on the wishlist thread.

In my opinion, this, and making the charger locations visible by default, etc. raise the question - given Elon's comment that Tesla is still a very small company with very limited resources (in response to why s/w updates were taking so long), why devote resources to add features which are neither super essential, nor heavily requested rather than which are? I think there are several other features which can be very easily implemented, do not mess with any other functionality in any way, and very heavily requested. Showing embedded album art on local audio files, for example, off the top of my head. There are several others.

Hill Start Assist, is a nice feature, but as someone mentioned before, I would have loved to have it forever, rather than 1s. That way, when creep is off, I can take my foot off the brake pedal when stopped.

I leave my foot is on the break whenever I'm at a stop, whether on a hill or flat ground. That's partly from driving automatics my whole life, but it just sort of makes sense. Why do you want to take your foot off the brake?

I know Hill assist was asked for in various places, and of course the return of auto-lowering was clamored for.
Philosophically, I would hope that Tesla is NOT choosing what to implement solely on customer feedback. They know more about their system, plans and resources than we do. Take things as suggestions and consider them yes. A democratically designed car would look like this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 735
I have not received the update yet, and have never experienced auto lowering of the car because 5.8 was already on mine when I took delivery. So, I was wondering - once I have 5.9 and auto-lowering enabled, will I actually notice it while driving on the highway? I am afraid it might be too subtle to notice. Any comments from experienced owners?

IMO
It's not noticeable in the sense you feel a distinct drop. It's noticeable when on the highway and you feel closer to the road so to speak. It's very well done and you don't necessarily realize when the car raises back up either.