Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0 (beta version discussion)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't discount the complexity of delivering a major overhaul of the maps/navigation system. That update alone probably dwarfs t​he complexity of every 5.x release combined.

That depends. The idea is to write the underlying code in such a way that you can have a company such as Garmin develop something on their own and plug it in. But when it comes down to the navigator interfacing with other features, then it's a matter of whether those parts have changed. If they haven't, that's one thing. If they have in a way that goes beyond what the underlying code can allow it to interface with, it could be a much bigger deal.

The bottom line is that we simply don't know. Overall, the navigation code is a huge undertaking. I can't tell how much is done in house, what's done by Garmin, or whether they have a team working together side by side.

Umm not really. Mercedes and BMW will allow you to keep driving, but with a display that will warn you that no fob is detected inside the car. It will continue to run until the car is turned off, that it will not restart until there is a fob inside the car.

i was under the impression the Model S did the same thing. Once the car stops and you get out, it shuts off, which then means you can't start it without the FOB.

I find it somewhat disappointing. Mostly because I almost assumed it would include Valet mode. I would have also liked to have seen Spotify or Rdio baked in in the US also. But those aren't necessary and I wasn't fully expecting it. Of course Carplay support would be the Holy Grail for me, but I didn't even dream that would be in 6.0.

That's how the Prius (and presumably all Toyotas) work as well. Actually, it would be a safety problem to have it work any other way. If the fob suddenly loses connectivity because its battery got low or it's been jostled behind a phone, having the car stop would be a big problem. I don't know of any car that works that way, does anyone?

First of all, battery warnings typically come months before the batteries go dead, but that's not all that important. The assumption here is that people don't throw their fob out the window when driving or chuck it through the sun roof. There's no reason for the car to do anything if it already knew the fob was in the car and it suddenly disappears. That's quite different from knowing that the fob was outside the car and that it never entered it, or knowing that it was in the car, the car stopped, the door opened, and it sensed the fob outside of the car.

Even though I've had cars that could go a moderate number of feet (I never tested it, but I did a web search just to verify others' experience) it was also a matter of not wanting to turn off the engine. It's a moot point with the Tesla. You aren't going to want to get out and look under the hood with the engine running, or not want to stop the engine when you simply want to toss something in the trunk.

Since I did have a need to have my fob in the car to start it, it was possible for the car to sense it when I opened the door, but momentarily think it was missing when I got in. One car solved that by having a slot for the fob, where it could read it using induction instead of battery power. With another, I'm frankly not sure what I would need to do. But with a Tesla, there are many ways around it if the car can't sense the fob once inside the car, but the driver had a way to get into the car. The app could do it. Punching a code into the console could do it, as long as you don't get it wrong more than a few times in a row. I did have a handful of times when it momentarily thought the fob was missing, but nothing that ever amounted to any trouble. And I still can't see why there's a need to have it drive away in the first place just because it knew that the fob was outside the car when the driver put it in drive.

- - - Updated - - -

I find it somewhat disappointing. Mostly because I almost assumed it would include Valet mode. I would have also liked to have seen Spotify or Rdio baked in in the US also. But those aren't necessary and I wasn't fully expecting it. Of course Carplay support would be the Holy Grail for me, but I didn't even dream that would be in 6.0.

I'd like to see it too, but premature wondering about 7.0 isn't necessary. It might be in 6.1 and a few months away, or it might not. When Tesla puts out 6.0, it will have what they could reasonably have ready. It might even have bits and pieces of other features, but disabled since they weren't ready. I'd rather see 6.0 now than later, and if it would have taken until October to have it ready with Valet mode, I'd settle for getting 6.0 now and getting 6.1 in October or November with a few new features. Or not getting it then but still having what's ready now.

I'll reserve judgement until I actually know what the release includes. That seems like the reasonable approach.

jumping to conclusions.PNG

With Tesla bringing on Kristen Paget aka "Hacker Princess" earlier this year I can't help but wonder if problems were found while auditing the code and a huge amount development of time has been spent fixing issues found. That would explain the long delay without all the features everyone is hoping for.

and when you do, you'll soon learn your lessen when you're iphone battery dies. then you'll be asking random strangers in the parking lot to download an app on their phone and start your car for you. haha. my iphone can be at 64% one minute, and the next minute it dies and shows 6% and the next minute the spinning wheel and powers down and won't power on again until recharged. I hate this phone. The battery is a POS (iPhone 5) and far worse than the previous iPhones I had (original & 3GS).

OT, but go to apple support site and run the battery diagnostics; my iPhone 5 showed issues (it would shut down from 30%) and the apple store swapped the battery whilst I waited. New battery is just fine.

I actually suspect the old battery was fine, but the gas gauge was badly calibrated.

+1 to Occam's razor. It likely is what it is.

Nobody gives a closer shave than Occam. It is what it appears to be.

(Cue someone predicting that fake photos are part of a crafty plan to ward off a short squeeze, or some other tin-foil hat theory that involves a stock with $30B market cap being yanked up and down by blog posts.)

The only late-breaking surprise that would make sense is some minor feature tied to iOS 8, for which Tesla is under NDA to Apple. But even then, if they're trying to get 6.0 out the door, it would make more sense to just wait until 6.1.

I would love to be wrong, and be greeted by CarPlay tomorrow morning. But, realistically -- not gonna happen. If it does, I will literally eat my Tesla hat on youtube.

About losing a key fob while driving...I've had that experience just two days ago. Had my car washed and when they finished, as always in a hurry, I jumped in my car and took off. After about 10 minutes on the highway, doing about 130 km/h, something jumped up from the windscreen wiper. still no idea, I thought it was a part of that whiper. As I arrived at my appointment I got out and, still in a hurry, wanted to get in 5 minutes later the door handles wouldn't come out. So I reached for my keyfob, but it wasnt there. Still no clue, I called the carwash and they told me they put the key at my windscreen wiper. The thing I could do at that moment was opening the car with my phone and let the people, who wanted to see my car but told them I was in a hurry, that they could take all the time they wanted, because I had to wait for my wife to come with the spare key:redface:.

About losing a key fob while driving...I've had that experience just two days ago. Had my car washed and when they finished, as always in a hurry, I jumped in my car and took off. After about 10 minutes on the highway, doing about 130 km/h, something jumped up from the windscreen wiper. still no idea, I thought it was a part of that whiper. As I arrived at my appointment I got out and, still in a hurry, wanted to get in 5 minutes later the door handles wouldn't come out. So I reached for my keyfob, but it wasnt there. Still no clue, I called the carwash and they told me they put the key at my windscreen wiper. The thing I could do at that moment was opening the car with my phone and let the people, who wanted to see my car but told them I was in a hurry, that they could take all the time they wanted, because I had to wait for my wife to come with the spare key:redface:.

They put your key fob on the windshield wiper?? lol that's a pretty dumb place for it. They should have rolled the window down and put it on the seat or cupholder.

Also I'll say it again, I know I'm critical of a Tesla at times but I'm a huuuuge advocate of everything they are doing. I only strongly criticize them at times sort of like constructive feedback because I know they read these threads and I only want them to do best and a lot of times it's only to spread awareness or to make sure they consider all possibilities!

You're right that I'm preemptively criticizing on the start from phone app thing and I'm fully aware that they stole that hacker chick from Apple and that they were hiring hackers at DEFCON for helping with finding security holes. so I should give them the benefit of the doubt that they should have the knowledge now to build something very secure and wouldn't be vulnerable to just any joe brute forcing the rest API until an authentication succeeds and then being able to start the car. There's gotta be ways to secure that further that I am unaware of. It could even be something simple like you push a button and then tesla dial's your pre configured phone number for your account (kind of like how some bank accounts will do this even time you log in from an unknown or public location). That way they know their dialing you and it's your DTMF tone response that actually triggers the start of the car. Or they could text you a key and then you can enter that key on the phone. See? Just two ways of doing it. If that's secure enough to work for a bank and your retirement accounts then it should be secure enough to start your car. At least your car has a GPS if anything goes bad :p. Can't say the same for a web session to a bank account transfer.

I consider that a weakness. Acura and Infiniti won't let you drive away very far without the FOB.

Had a 2010 Infiniti. I could drive across the country without the fob as long as I didn't turn the car off. Once it's off, then it won't start again without the fob being detected inside (and the antennas could tell the difference between the fob being near the door for unlocking and inside for driving). It would beep at you (external beep) when it detected the fob leaving the inside of the car, if it was running.

I'm pretty sure no car actually turns off (or even slows down) in this situation, as this would be a law suit waiting to happen. Say bye to wife who has fob in her purse as you drive off and enter the highway on-ramp. Then the car turns off...

I'm pretty sure no car actually turns off (or even slows down) in this situation, as this would be a law suit waiting to happen. Say bye to wife who has fob in her purse as you drive off and enter the highway on-ramp. Then the car turns off...

Many car security systems have remote ignition shutoff so you can't start it but there are some security systems that do remote engine immobilization. Those ones don't turn off the engine while you are actively driving, but I think they do shut it off as soon as you come to a stop and of course you won't be able to start it again.