Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long did it take? I checked after 70 Minutes and it still said "update in progress" If its hung that way what do you do to reboot? Just hold down both steering wheel controls?

Mine took an hour, I think. I strongly recommend you just let it do its thing. Rebooting in the middle of an update could leave the car is an bad state.

Just drove on a planned route to test whether or not the efficiency had increased or not. With 90% of a charge I left with 227 miles. Yesterday before the update it was 217 miles. On yesterday's trip I got 353Wh/mi. Today I got 366Wh/mi. An increase of 13Wh/mi or 3.7%. While it rated range did start higher it ended up around the same place as yesterday. While it was slightly colder today that might be the culprit for the increase of 3.7%. But from what the update seemed to say via the increased range was that the efficiency would have increased. But alas from my data it seems like that is not true. Maybe this update is not the update that Elon had mentioned yesterday about idling one of the motors. Please to other drivers of the P85D, have you seen an increase in efficiency? I know many have seen an increase in range but it seems that range is just an addition that does not hold true.

True, I will continue to drive on the same route everyday and see if I see any similarities or differences. And I will take into consideration other variables, like weather, traffic, etc. Though I am very conservative with driving to try and recreate the conditions to make sure the data is comparable. I will include all variables that may screw my data when reporting it. I know data can be flawed but some users would like to have data. Whether they want to trust it or not is fine. I will keep driving the car and recording the data for myself. And if others want to have that info shared then all be fine with sharing it.

Just drove on a planned route to test whether or not the efficiency had increased or not. With 90% of a charge I left with 227 miles. Yesterday before the update it was 217 miles. On yesterday's trip I got 353Wh/mi. Today I got 366Wh/mi. An increase of 13Wh/mi or 3.7%. While it rated range did start higher it ended up around the same place as yesterday. While it was slightly colder today that might be the culprit for the increase of 3.7%. But from what the update seemed to say via the increased range was that the efficiency would have increased. But alas from my data it seems like that is not true. Maybe this update is not the update that Elon had mentioned yesterday about idling one of the motors. Please to other drivers of the P85D, have you seen an increase in efficiency? I know many have seen an increase in range but it seems that range is just an addition that does not hold true.

You cannot compare one drive to another. Too many variables besides colder weather like wind, speed, etc. Your data is like the Dr. Oz of medicine...

May not be fair to compare the two drives, but on the other hand I think it fairly safe to say that based on that data greg provided, it does not look like the software update his P85D received today is the one Elon Musk was referring to in the tweet in which he promised P85-like range.

I had the same thing happen, but only once right after upgrading. The algorithm sorted itself out after the first charge and it has been back to normal since.
My working theory since I first reported this has remained: it's not an algorithm thing, it's a "memory reset" of your battery. After < 5 charges (usually after 1) the normal 90% rated value returns. I've seen this behavior on 4 firmware upgrades so far.

Here's my most recent example:

FirmwareUpdate_Now239At90.png

Last edited:
What...like Mississippi? or North Dakota??? You mean something like coming out of warp speed unexpectedly?

IIRC, initially it was said that an upgrade could take two or three hours, although most so far have taken an hour or less. Generally, stopping in the middle of a firmware upgrade (on any device) will require the EPROMs to be cleared. Often this can't be done on site--worst case, it has to be done at the factory or new EPROMs have to be installed. This is similar to the "Do not unplug your computer" warnings you sometimes see.

If I thought the upgrade was taking too long (e.g. it went for over three hours), I'd call Service before doing anything.

My working theory since I first reported this has remained: it's not an algorithm thing, it's a "memory reset" of your battery. After < 5 charges (usually after 1) the normal 90% rated value returns. I've seen this behavior on 4 firmware upgrades so far.

Oddly, the last update was the first time my range increased after an update. The increase has NOT reverted, even after a dozen charges. Standard charge went from 365 km to 390 km, and since then has only slightly dropped to 389 km.

That's a P85D thing - they had to reorganize the screens to make more room for more buttons (e.g. Insane Mode, Slip Start).

Some people with non-D cars have reported getting the extra tab when doing a minor V6 update. Oddly I believe I now have the latest and my tabs did not change.

I have a P85 from August 2013. I received the 2.0.77 update at the SC and have the new tab layout. Also, have not seen any changes to my range estimate since 5.x.

So it finally took a road trip to reset my Rated Range display to normal values. Had been charging to 434 km, but after going from 100% down to 18% it reset. Now it displays 404 km for a full charge. This is just a few km higher than before the last firmware update.

On the other hand, it was painfully obvious that the V6 software gives horrible estimates of the trip time. So bad that on a long trip it was estimating almost an extra hour of travel time.

Also at one point during my trip the navigation gave me a totally stupid route, which I didn't notice was fubar until it was too late, resulting in me taking the car down a road made entirely of mud. Didn't realize what had happened until it was already too late to turn around. Was a little tense wading through all that. It was really stupid because there was a perfectly good paved road that the navigation system took me past, and then dog-legged me back to a couple of km along.

So it finally took a road trip to reset my Rated Range display to normal values. Had been charging to 434 km, but after going from 100% down to 18% it reset. Now it displays 404 km for a full charge. This is just a few km higher than before the last firmware update.

On the other hand, it was painfully obvious that the V6 software gives horrible estimates of the trip time. So bad that on a long trip it was estimating almost an extra hour of travel time.

Also at one point during my trip the navigation gave me a totally stupid route, which I didn't notice was fubar until it was too late, resulting in me taking the car down a road made entirely of mud. Didn't realize what had happened until it was already too late to turn around. Was a little tense wading through all that. It was really stupid because there was a perfectly good paved road that the navigation system took me past, and then dog-legged me back to a couple of km along.

Seems like perhaps there was some glitch in the traffic info. I've had 6.0 divert me off a major highway to get around severe traffic and it has actually worked incredibly well.