Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
all around, really great to see this update. extra exciting since i've had my Model S for nine days.

i've been reading about some Tesla foibles (no shuffle, no energy-aware Nav) here for a long time, so i was ready for them when i picked up the car. and obviously i haven't been waiting for these things to be fixed as long as most of you guys have, but now that i've been personally dealing with and adjusting to them, it's pretty great to see them corrected. begone, "Instant" always being selected by default in the Energy app!

Has anyone done any accuracy testing on the reverse lines? I'm finding that I'm not convinced that when it shows I will miss the car behind me (like when reversing out of a spot in a parking lot) that it still looks like I might hit that car in real life. I haven't tested it yet. Obviously I'd have to have someone standing outside, as opposed to potentially reversing into another car.

Has anyone done any accuracy testing on the reverse lines? I'm finding that I'm not convinced that when it shows I will miss the car behind me (like when reversing out of a spot in a parking lot) that it still looks like I might hit that car in real life. I haven't tested it yet. Obviously I'd have to have someone standing outside, as opposed to potentially reversing into another car.

Or just test it with your parking sensors.

I did a very quick test earlier (though in the dark; it's nearly 11pm where I am). The lines definitely seem quite cautious (i.e. the wheels seem to fall a few inches inside them).

Question on the forward collision warning feature for those with auto pilot...I've been looking forward to this but I was thinking it would actually apply the brakes in an impending rear-ending accident. Apparently it just gives a chime and a dash display. In a situation where fractions of a second count, this doesn't seem too useful, especially when competitors like mercedes and volvo actually hit the brakes for you. This is a huge safety feature that has the potential to drastically reduce the most common accident scenario. Why did tesla half-ass-this? A chime is mostly going to announce the accident rather than prevent it.

I still don't have 6.1 on my car yet, but someone from Facebook sent me these. Looks like a lot of the annoyances related to not being able to draw over the rear camera are now fixed!

HomeLink can now overlap with the camera image:

image1.JPG

And the temperature sync control now pops up when you have the camera on the lower part of the screen:

IMG_7814.JPG

Can't wait to get 6.1!

While it might be disappointing that X feature was not implemented. This update was a huge step forward for Tesla. Did everything that has been long requested finally make it in? no. But outside of Calendar stuff and maybe the park assist change, factory reset, and the autopilot changes, everything in this list has been widely complained about forever. I am sure they will implement the remaining big ticket items (like valet mode and 3rd party software) when they can get to it.
Been waiting on valet mode for 2 years... Yeah, I have a 2012 ;)

Question on the forward collision warning feature for those with auto pilot...I've been looking forward to this but I was thinking it would actually apply the brakes in an impending rear-ending accident. Apparently it just gives a chime and a dash display. In a situation where fractions of a second count, this doesn't seem too useful, especially when competitors like mercedes and volvo actually hit the brakes for you. This is a huge safety feature that has the potential to drastically reduce the most common accident scenario. Why did tesla half-ass-this? A chime is mostly going to announce the accident rather than prevent it.

That's a different feature. Forward Collision Warning (FCW) is just a warning. You're thinking of Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) which hopefully is coming later. The different features are described on the MobilEye website:

Vehicle Detection - Mobileye

This looks like what I thought 6.0 was going to be based Elon's comments. Looks like the biggest and best update yet!

I really like the addition of the Trip Chart to the nav range estimation tools. I've basically been doing that by hand with evtripplanner.com data for various points along the way to see how close we are to "on track". Having it automatic will make long distance travel much simpler.

I think they are primarily guidelines and should be supplemented by the sensors. Because you can keep changing the trajectory I think you could end up impacting a car if relying just on the guidelines.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if the P85Ds are the last batch to get 6.1 while they finish up torque sleep.

That seems a likely possibility

- - - Updated - - -

Historical note:
Valet mode existed 25 years ago on the 1990 Corvette ZR-1, as a key on the dash that disabled 8 of its 16 injectors.
Individual tire pressures were displayed as far back as the 1997 C5 Corvette.

Newer cars have new TMPS sensors presumably someone with the new sensors has confirmed that they don't have individual tire pressures?

I know, same with the SDK, both were talked about during the Beta Reveal event way back in the day if I am not mistaken. I am not saying they shouldn't do them. Clearly there is a huge request for both (and quite a few others) and I am certain they will come to the car sooner or later... But it really isn't fair to them to just blow off what is a totally awesome update like they aren't doing any work... Or some such. I hate to say it, but we all bought the car with only what was promised when you clicked the order button... Everything else is icing on the awesome car cake. I for one am sufficiently please with this update, especially since it basically came out of nowhere.

Keep in mind that Model S firmware improves over time. Don't assume that the way a new feature works in this release is the way that feature will always work. Future improvements to that feature are certainly possible.

It is important enough for Elon himself to mention it as part of Valet mode ages ago.
If I loan my car to someone, trusted or otherwise (valet), or rent my car out, I still want them to realize (indirectly) that I can monitor the car and that they cannot disable the monitoring.
When away from my house, I have wifi stuff there that, while I let someone in I trust, I can still monitor their movements.
No difference.

I am very happy with all the new 6.1 features. I am also a HUGE advocate of valet/safe/restricted mode (whatever you want to call it). It exists in a rudimentary form already as the SCs can limit the speed by loaners to 80mph. For those that don't want the mode, no problem, you never have to use it. It would be accessed via a punch in code on the touch screen. Limits acceleration, top speed and could alert you by phone message that the car is a certain distance away from a point (ex: your home).

Just thought I'd say hi!

I was the lucky UK owner who received the update and posted the pics early this morning.

Feels like having a brand new car all over again, only slightly jealous of those with auto-pilot hardware :)

Loving 6.1, having driven for 3 hours today, the trip graph is easily my favourite part of the upgrade.

I hate to say it, but we all bought the car with only what was promised when you clicked the order button... Everything else is icing on the awesome car cake. I for one am sufficiently please with this update, especially since it basically came out of nowhere.

Well, software updates were an advertised feature of the car at the time I purchased mine. And certain features have been promised but not delivered upon. Having said that, 6.1 is looking like a very solid release and I look forward to it.

Acc reacted well to deceleration needed. Collision assist mutes radio so you pay attention. Very Happy.

Wish it displayed speed your setting cruise at vs the little triangle tick. Hard to tell 75 from 74 or 73 etc. Should show set number for a second.

The speed up to pass feature only works on the left signal. Does not speed up to overtake on the right.

Trip Computer is nice.

Nav on instrument panel seems to redraw itself alot more. Not good.

Compared to my 30k miles with mb distronic plus.... This acc is better. It did not shut off when making a left turn. The mb would get confused and turn dist plus off. But that was a 2011. The 2014 mb distronic plus was upgraded.

When lane tracking and active steering assist with blind spot graphics and the video game display come in an update it will be freaking awesome.

The parking sensors are much better. You see all 5 front ones separate when parking in a garage. 3 front and one each side. And they go to 12" before saying stop now.

Car is much better than when purchased 1 mos ago!

Thanks Elon.

Last edited: