Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you TM!! 6.1 gives many people what they have been looking for (discussing) for quite some time. I believe the 'beta' people are discussing ONLY refers to the Smart Conditioning. Thus, in effect we are all beta testers. I am not sure how this feature will work though. How long will it take to learn your behavior? Will you have to turn on the ventilation system at precisely the same time every day (and for how many days) to get it to learn your behviour. Believe me, I am not complaining, it is a great feature.

As to the valet mode. I will wait for the 7.0. Wish it were here but it is tough to complain when so many other great features are present.

They work really great, not overly sensitive and do not seem to shut off with street lights. Also if you follow someone they disable. I would say they disable about 1/2 a mile from the rear of someone.

Note: I believe the battery % takes into account regen going down hills.

Example: if the remaining battery % left says 14% and you go down a hill, but decide to speed above the speed limit and NOT regen anything, it'll actually drop the % by 1-2% to something like 12% at destination because it was assuming you'd get some regen.

While it might be disappointing that X feature was not implemented. This update was a huge step forward for Tesla. Did everything that has been long requested finally make it in? no. But outside of Calendar stuff and maybe the park assist change, factory reset, and the autopilot changes, everything in this list has been widely complained about forever. I am sure they will implement the remaining big ticket items (like valet mode and 3rd party software) when they can get to it.

I get you think that this feature is important, but seriously, this is something that no other car I know of has (a PIN to disable the free, built-in remote access service) mostly because no other car even has a free built-in remote access service! If you don't want a random untrusted person to disable remote access while driving your car then don't give them the keys in the first place!
Thank you for being condescending and rude. It is important enough for Elon himself to mention it as part of Valet mode ages ago.
If I loan my car to someone, trusted or otherwise (valet), or rent my car out, I still want them to realize (indirectly) that I can monitor the car and that they cannot disable the monitoring.
When away from my house, I have wifi stuff there that, while I let someone in I trust, I can still monitor their movements.
No difference.

Ok noob question - the car needs to be connected to Wi-Fi to receive firmware updates, correct?

False. The car needs to have connectivity of some kind to receive an update, but either 3G or Wi-Fi will work. Only if you are in a 3G dead zone will Wi-Fi be necessary.

Tesla claims that Wi-Fi allows you to receive the update sooner, but there isn't really any evidence of that being true.

Wi-Fi is very inconvenient for me as my home (like most in Florida) is concrete, thermal glass, and metal -- all of which block WiFi effectively, and I park outside. I received the last point update over Wi-Fi. I haven't yet received 6.1, though.

I *think* I am having problems with 3 phase charging since getting v6.1.

The car is showing 32A 3 phase supply (correct) but I'm only getting 9/10/11A charge rate, and a 17 miles an hour increase. (Battery is at 70 miles remaining range).

This is on my office's chargepoint but this doesn't sound like an EVSE issue, or the car would say the supply was 11A no?

I am passing a public charge point tomorrow, which I have used before at full 16A (my car isn't dual enabled), which equated to 30+ miles an hour increase. I'll post back. my findings.

If you need three phase 240v charging tomorrow, and are offered the update I'd hold off.

The guidelines are OK (But not as good as the ones on my 5 year old Nissan Frontier ;) ).

The biggest improvement I spotted was the buffering of RDIO.

The graph looks good, but I've not driven anywhere far enough away to test it's usefulness.

Have to wait to see if the predictive pre-heat works. I work consistent 9-6 office hours, so if it doesn't work for me, it won't work for anyone :D

I'm not sure if it's done something to the steering feedback to. I drive in normal, and it could be me, but I think it has lightened up a touch. I also can't put my finger on it but the throttle response curves appear to have been tweaked too.

Last edited:
I fully agree! Even though we've only had ours a month as of tomorrow, I called my wife at lunch to exclaim that we had a "new car", which of course caught her completely off guard!
I wonder how many ICE owners can say that, without actually getting a "new car". Awesome update from my favorite US car company!

I love a lot of things about my Tesla, but I think the software updates (not just these ones specifically, but all software updates) are going to end up being my favorite feature.

A couple times a year its like Christmas, pouring over patch notes and finding out what new things my car will be able to do. Seriously, how freakin' sweet is that? Who else has a car that introduces new functionality over time? It's awesome!

I *think* I am having problems with 3 phase charging since getting v6.1.

The car is showing 32A 3 phase supply (correct) but I'm only getting 9/10/11A charge rate, and a 17 miles an hour increase. (Battery is at 70 miles remaining range).

This is on my office's chargepoint but this doesn't sound like an EVSE issue, or the car would say the supply was 11A no?

I am passing a public charge point tomorrow, which I have used before at full 16A (my car isn't dual enabled), which equated to 30+ miles an hour increase. I'll post back. my findings.

If you need three phase 240v charging tomorrow, and are offered the update I'd hold off. The guidelines are OK.

Other than that the biggest improvement is the buffering of RDIO.

I'm not sure if it's done something to the steering feedback to. I drive in normal, and it could be me, but I think it has lightened up a touch. I also can't put my finger on it but the throttle response curves appear to have been tweaked too.

There is a LOT of psychological "changes" in the updates. Many times nothing has changed at all with regard to the way the car handles or performs it is just that the car feels new and different because of the other updates that your mind starts paying attention to other things more intently and therefore think other unannounced things have also changed. I could be wrong... and they have certainly changed things in the past, but it is rare.

What I will say about the steering is to reset your system and then change the controls manually out of Normal into a different setting and then change it back. If a setting "slipped" (which has happened with regen in the past... first I have heard of steering modes slipping) then this should fix it. This is assuming of course that something really is different about the steering and not just in your mind.

Please don't think I am being rude suggesting you might be imagining things... because I am not trying to be. It really is something I have seen posted quite a few times and is easy to perceive things that aren't really there.

Hope the power issue is the location at work as opposed to something different/wrong with the car :confused:

Please don't think I am being rude suggesting you might be imagining things... because I am not trying to be. It really is something I have seen posted quite a few times and is easy to perceive things that aren't really there.

Hope the power issue is the location at work as opposed to something different/wrong with the car :confused:

Not at all, I did wonder myself :biggrin:

I got in drove 1 mile and at the next set of lights I checked I hadn't left it in comfort (which I use on motorway trips). TBH I'm a bit of a steering snob (my other car is a Lotus Elise), I'm not saying it's bad, just feels lighter, like putting a couple of extra PSI in the tyres.

Saying all that again you might be right, it could all be in my head!

I too hope it's something about the office point (the charge point I have is the first of it's kind in the UK, and I've only had it a few days) but the car was doing weird stuff too. A warning on the dash saying unable to charge, and some text telling me to put my foot on the brake, close the charge port and try again. Meanwhile it was still showing as charging :confused:

I screen-shotted it over to Tesla, but didn't take a photo to show here.

I will confirm tomorrow at a public point (Ecotricity which all the UK guys will be familiar with)

Regarding suggest to charge. I would really like it also to suggest the most efficient charging pattern along a route - and if charging is needed to get from A to B it should give an option to route via a charger - or to let the user enter another destination where some other unlisted charger could be found. Too many drivers prefer to top it up to 100% which take unnecessary time instead of maybe charge for 10-15 minutes and arrive at the next with 25% left instead of arriving with 55%.

And - the most important change! To allow us - on the settings of the navigation app - to enter a set of URLs pointing to KML files (read about KML files on Google Maps and Google Earth) - then we would shortly have many KML files published with various charging networks, tourist type info, speed traps, etc.. etc..

If they've got real/forecasted weather in the energy model, then 6.1 contains most of the guts of the "road trip" update I've been talking about for a while. Ideally, I think it should have a configuration option that will allow it to automatically add a string of supercharger waypoints to trips beyond battery range - and the "charging needed to reach destination" warning would have an action button attached as an alternative if you don't enable that - press here to route through superchargers.

If Tesla has confidence in the energy required model, they can add to the update a countdown timer - time needed charging here to reach the next charging point/destination with X% charge (user adjustable config setting? possibly default to 5 or 10%?) - thereby accomplishing your efficiency guide goal while adding yet more useful information for the driver - at least for Supercharged trips, where arriving at the next charger with a low battery will always be the most efficient. This is also where the putative reservation server would come in, with the car looking at supercharger utilization/availability data and deciding to bypass busy or damaged locations.

It gets harder to model correctly if some of the waypoints are capable of much faster charging than others, and I'm not sure how much data Tesla has on other charge options. It's still doable, but with the way Tesla is rolling out SpC locations I think it probably makes more sense for Tesla to stick to the low hanging fruit here. If the car currently doesn't allow you to add waypoints (I thought all of them did?) then that's certainly something useful to add so you can go off of Tesla's map for charging, but I wouldn't expect them to figure out charge times for you away from the network (thought of course it would still be simple and sensible for the car once plugged in to a given location to give you time to charge for the next leg.)

For bonus points, if it has predicted charge time and drive time for each leg from traffic data, it can give you a predicted overall arrival time including supercharger stops, too. :)
Walter

Hmm, still some stuff missing but I am hopeful they will eventually add:
* Tire pressure of each tire displayed. (Something my Mom's 2012 Volt has)
* Energy meter that shows actual usage of the other stuff besides the traction motor. (Something our 2011 Leaf had)
* Valet mode with reduced power, top speed, no access to trunk/frunk or glove box, secured via PIN. (New Corvettes and others have this).

Historical note:
Valet mode existed 25 years ago on the 1990 Corvette ZR-1, as a key on the dash that disabled 8 of its 16 injectors.
Individual tire pressures were displayed as far back as the 1997 C5 Corvette.

If they've got real/forecasted weather in the energy model, then 6.1 contains most of the guts of the "road trip" update I've been talking about for a while.
Walter

It definitely sounds like this is a huge leap in the right direction. Though if we're still limited to whatever route the navigation system wants to throw at us, that will limit the usefulness until we can have some input into route selection.