Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meant to post this here:

Just curious, is there anyone out there with a car that has the new hardware but doesn't have the tech package? I'm curious because the autopilot "convenience features" were only supposed to come with the tech package. Curious as to if this update adheres to that with TACC.

Question on the forward collision warning feature for those with auto pilot...I've been looking forward to this but I was thinking it would actually apply the brakes in an impending rear-ending accident. Apparently it just gives a chime and a dash display. In a situation where fractions of a second count, this doesn't seem too useful, especially when competitors like mercedes and volvo actually hit the brakes for you. This is a huge safety feature that has the potential to drastically reduce the most common accident scenario. Why did tesla half-ass-this? A chime is mostly going to announce the accident rather than prevent it.

Tesla hasn't half-assed it, it hasn't released mitigation yet. To do it right, crash mitigation has to brake hard, and that means it has to get absolutely right, because a false positive could well end up with you getting rear ended. The adaptive cruise would have been a priority, but having mastered that, I'd expect mitigation to com next, but after a serious testing period.

Tesla hasn't half-assed it, it hasn't released mitigation yet. To do it right, crash mitigation has to brake hard, and that means it has to get absolutely right, because a false positive could well end up with you getting rear ended. The adaptive cruise would have been a priority, but having mastered that, I'd expect mitigation to com next, but after a serious testing period.

and i would think that the 'testing period' will include data from real-life implementation of 6.1. you'd think they'd be eager to learn more about their forward sensor readings as applied in driving situations from actual cars on actual roads.

Probably a stupid question:
Do the auto-highbeams require the newer hardware? I would imagine that a sensor would be required.

I assume yes...it should be using the camera on the rear view mirror.

That would be correct. I have the 6.1 on my 2013 P85+ and no mention of auto highbeams in the release notes

It's crazy, it was only last night that I was fiddling with the high beams on my p85d wondering if it had smartbeam.

I was gonna email ownership and ask if the camera was capable. Crazy to see it here the next day

It's crazy, it was only last night that I was fiddling with the high beams on my p85d wondering if it had smartbeam.

I was gonna email ownership and ask if the camera was capable. Crazy to see it here the next day

When you say "see it here" you mean discussed here, in the forums, right? You don't actually HAVE the update on your P85D, right? I ask, because if you have it, I think you'd be the first P85D owner with the update, in which case we'd have lots of questions for you.

Hmm, still some stuff missing but I am hopeful they will eventually add:
* Tire pressure of each tire displayed. (Something my Mom's 2012 Volt has)
* Energy meter that shows actual usage of the other stuff besides the traction motor. (Something our 2011 Leaf had)
* Valet mode with reduced power, top speed, no access to trunk/frunk or glove box, secured via PIN. (New Corvettes and others have this).

Not sure if this is what you are referencing in your second bullet above, but I have noticed in my P85D with v 6.0 software that the dash energy meter actually does show current energy usage above and beyond what is being pulled from the electrical motors. This is especially noticeable when starting the car up after it has been parked in near sub-zero temperatures for 8-10 hours. This slowly improves once the battery is fully heated with the orange line returning to zero. I posted an image of this in another thread here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=68391&d=1420593275

I love a lot of things about my Tesla, but I think the software updates (not just these ones specifically, but all software updates) are going to end up being my favorite feature.

A couple times a year its like Christmas, pouring over patch notes and finding out what new things my car will be able to do. Seriously, how freakin' sweet is that? Who else has a car that introduces new functionality over time? It's awesome!

I could not agree more. I was just texting a good friend to tell him that a new version of the car's software has been released today and that it comes with some awesome new features. Having only had the car for just over two weeks, I feel like once the software installs it will be like driving a new car all over again.

So two questions about the Tesla app on the iPhone. Will the app notify you of a pending software upgrade even if it is running in the background or do you actually have to be in the app? Can you tell the car to install the upgrade from the Tesla app or only from within the car?

Looking at WiFi traffic, it looks like my P85D is downloading something right now... (pretty sure it's the P85D and not the P85...)

For those who care it looks like it is coming over the VPN at about 15 megabit.

Looking at WiFi traffic, it looks like my P85D is downloading something right now... (pretty sure it's the P85D and not the P85...)

For those who care it looks like it is coming over the VPN at about 15 megabit.

Wonder how big this update is... it's at 150 MB and counting...

How ironic would it be, if after all the hassle you had with delivery, etc., and then after all the work you put in to the range analysis comparison between your car and your fiance's car, if you wound up being the first P85D owner to get the 6.1 update, and on top of that it actually has the torque sleep software? I bet you could live with that irony, huh?