Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is interesting.. The release notes say "Smart conditioning is only available if you save home and work locations". I assumed that means both, but perhaps it only actually needs Home location? That would be good.

I am also unclear as to what exactly this means: "will start Smart Preconditioning when you are charging, at home, or at work". Is it 2 cases, "charging at home" or "charging at work", or 3 cases, "charging", "at home" or "at work". I hope the latter..

Could someone post a picture or two of what the new parking assist screen look like? It is supposed to use all sensors and show results from individual sensors. Thanks!

The screen looks the same except there seems to be more zones including side fenders, and now there's white lines first (without beeping) before yellow lines as you get closer. Will try to take a picture tonight if no one else posts one sooner.

Could someone post a picture or two of what the new parking assist screen look like? It is supposed to use all sensors and show results from individual sensors. Thanks!

The screen looks the same except there seems to be more zones including side fenders, and now there's white lines first (without beeping) before yellow lines as you get closer. Will try to take a picture tonight if no one else posts one sooner.

You can get a full 360 of the car with all sensors reporting with colored lines and then distances:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420927368.163460.jpg

Can anyone with the updated firmware AND the front facing camera kit let us know if there are any issues with the new parking assist lines?

I can see a situation where the Tesla is drawing the lines (while in reverse), but the touchscreen is toggled to the front camera view (not sure why anyone would do that, but it seems possible).

edit: Also, will the new software get confused when the camera is switching from front to rear when there is briefly no signal, if that will affect the line drawing.

Can anyone with the updated firmware AND the front facing camera kit let us know if there are any issues with the new parking assist lines?

I can see a situation where the Tesla is drawing the lines (while in reverse), but the touchscreen is toggled to the front camera view (not sure why anyone would do that, but it seems possible).

edit: Also, will the new software get confused when the camera is switching from front to rear when there is briefly no signal, if that will affect the line drawing.

There's no front camera view. The MobilEye camera isn't available to the driver.

There's no front camera view. The MobilEye camera isn't available to the driver.

Yep. Just as a frame of reference from the Germans, the front camera on top of the windshield usually (always?) is just for the ACC, lane detection, traffic sign recognition and the like - it is not for the driver. It is not even placed very conveniently to help driver, because its field of view is similar.

360 degree parking camera cars have an additional front camera(s) around the front grille or the front bumper, which can display to the driver, but AFAIK Model S with AutoPilot does not have such camera(s) at all, so seems unlikely the current setup would ever offer front camera view for the driver.

I think he's referring to those of us who bought ARTSCI's front camera add-on. I don't have the update, yet, but I don't think it will affect anything as it just changes what's on the video. The switch itself (third party) is what determines what feed you're looking at. Although under normal operation, you wouldn't want the front cam on while you're reversing anyways.

However...since the front camera is mounted up a little higher and more forward than the driver, it might have a slightly better view of the front hood area...for instance, when pulling into a garage. This could automatically come on when in drive and the front parking sensors are triggered.

Would have to see what the front camera looks like to know...but this could potentially come in a future update for the cars with mobileye cameras.

I think he's referring to those of us who bought ARTSCI's front camera add-on. I don't have the update, yet, but I don't think it will affect anything as it just changes what's on the video. The switch itself (third party) is what determines what feed you're looking at. Although under normal operation, you wouldn't want the front cam on while you're reversing anyways.

Yes, I'm referring to the add-on kit. (see: Front-rear camera touchscreen parking protection switch kit reservations) My question is, where are the lines added? Most likely *after* the signal from the camera is processed, so will whatever module adds the lines could get confused when it looses the camera signal during the switch from front to rear. That module is probably assuming a fixed/constant video signal from the rear camera.

Like I did say, it's an unlikely combination to be looking through the front camera while in reverse, but it can be set that way. But more importantly is the loss of signal during the switch and how the line generator might react to that.

Will the new park assist view even work on non-AP cars?

I have front/rear parking sensors on my car, but it seems like this would require the new 360-degree ultrasonic sensors that are part of the AP system.

New owner, new to forum. My P85D installed the 6.1 update this morning and I noticed something odd. When my car is charging on the high power wall connector the charge port light no longer glows green when the car is locked. I could have sworn it used to glow green even when locked prior to the update ( or am I crazy remembering that ? )

Or better yet have it pull from your calendar, ie pull the location field and if it's a tag like home or work, determine expected conditioning time (combo of outside car and inside car differential), and start just in time... Just a thought.

Anybody have a clear idea as to why exactly does the Smart Preconditioning need both Home and Work locations set in the navigator? I set the Smart Preconditioning on as soon as I got 6.1, but then began to wonder why I didn't get the "Learning..." text that is shown in the screen capture at the page 3 of this thread. Today I decided to make sure whether I have Home and Work locations set up. Turned out I did not have Home setup at all. After setting that, now I got the "Learning..." string visible.

Is this because the preconditioning ONLY works for commutes between home and work? It would be nice if it also learned some other repeated trips (in my case I play volleyball certain days a week, it would be nice that I didn't have to manually precondition the car for these trips). But the requirement for those Home and Work places makes me suspect it is limited to home and work for some reason.

I also wonder if it will precondition for my work to home commute, as I have no charging option at work. I don't mind using battery power for cabin preheat.

I guess we shall see in the coming weeks. :)

+1, If "Google Now" can look at your calendar, current location, and traffic to next destination, then alert you when you have to leave, seems Tesla could just piggyback on that and pre-condition 20 minutes before, rather than re-inventing the wheel.

Last edited:
New owner, new to forum. My P85D installed the 6.1 update this morning and I noticed something odd. When my car is charging on the high power wall connector the charge port light no longer glows green when the car is locked. I could have sworn it used to glow green even when locked prior to the update ( or am I crazy remembering that ? )

You're correct, it's no longer green.