Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there any pattern for -what time- the updates light up?

for example, does it pop up right when arriving at home, maybe when it senses wifi? or in the morning after being parked at home and on the wifi overnight? or while driving mid afternoon with a 3G signal?

or is it only with the tire stems at 12 o'clock =)

Last edited:
So I'm still trying to figure out the conditions upon which my Slacker Radio turns itself back on again when the car powers up. I thought it depended on whether I used the steering wheel or the touchscreen to turn it off, but that's not panning out.

Curious new symptom is that it used to start playing the song that you stopped before getting out of the car. Now it's already playing a new song, and is well into it.

So I'm thinking maybe the audio starts up when I turn on preheating with the remote app. New A/B experiment in progress...

I don't think this is unique to Slacker as an audio source. I noticed this, but didn't think too much about it a couple of days ago, and the source was FLAC files from a USB drive. But you're right: when I came back to the car a different song was playing.

Some owner out there that doesn't follow Tesla that closely & had no clue of 6.1 received the update & is enjoying it on their 18 month old car, but someone who took delivery yesterday in California who has watched every youtube video trying to undersand TACC & the new trip planner etc..has no idea when the update will arrive, car left Fremont & was sitting at the Service Center after 6.1 was released.

Tesla's own web site states Software updates | Tesla Motors

The current Model S software version is
6.1 and includes traffic-aware cruise control, camera-enabled automatic high/low beam headlights, forward collision warning, smart cabin preconditioning, energy prediction for trips, and an enhanced park assist view with reverse camera guides. Download the release notes for details

We kind of understand the process but explaining it to a new owner & making excuses for Tesla isn't fun.

for example, does it pop up right when arriving at home, maybe when it senses wifi? or in the morning after being parked at home and on the wifi overnight? or while driving mid afternoon with a 3G signal?

No. I've seen the alarm clock appear while driving on my way to work, parked in the garage in the morning, sometime in the middle of the night, while parked at work during the day, driving home from work, and even on a Sunday afternoon once.

There's no pattern.

Got the update installed on the P85. Cool features. Fiance is loving shuffle on her slacker playlists.

Definitely less cool than the update on the P85D w/autopilot hardware though. She's jealous... :p

Not feeling so bad all of a sudden. My 2 year old S85 with about 40,000 miles (still on 6.0) is getting between 218 and 220 miles at 90% compared to the 245 or so I got when new.

Are you sure the 245 was 90% and not 93%, when there was only a standard and a range charge setting, and no slider? My MS is a little newer and if I remember correctly, the update with the slider came within one week of when I picked it up at Fremont.

Edit: I checked the firmware wiki and it confirms that the slider came with 4.5 in June 2013.

Last edited:
My 6.1 installed overnight (VIN in the 15,000 range) and there was a message that update did not complete successfully, you will be reminded to try again later. The T screen said 6.1 was installed and the update icon was gone. The apps on the dashboard don't display (I had media on the left and energy app on the right) and the odometer just shows ---------. Called Tesla service which advised reboot, I rebooted both the touchscreen and the dashboard but no change. Waiting for call back from Austin service center.

P.S. I had a similar message when updating to 6.0 last August and the 12V needed to be replaced then, but service said they don't see any 12V warnings now.

I believe the message display has nothing to do with your connectivity at that point in time, and connectivity is not required for the update itself. Some kind of random lottery that might be biased by your car's access to Wifi determines when the download process begins, without any notification. The firmware update arrives in increments over time and the increments are stored in the car. The better your connectivity wherever you are or travel the faster the increments will arrive. Once the download is complete the clock icon is displayed and it is ready to display the message that asks for you to set a time to do the update. I got the message for 6.1 last night as I parked the car in the garage, with poor connectivity, but I believe I had the message for previous updates appear on the road while driving.

I received 6.1 2.2.113, dated Jan 19, yesterday, Jan 22, so the download process could not have taken more than 3 days, and probably a lot less.

So I'm still trying to figure out the conditions upon which my Slacker Radio turns itself back on again when the car powers up. I thought it depended on whether I used the steering wheel or the touchscreen to turn it off, but that's not panning out.

Curious new symptom is that it used to start playing the song that you stopped before getting out of the car. Now it's already playing a new song, and is well into it.

So I'm thinking maybe the audio starts up when I turn on preheating with the remote app. New A/B experiment in progress...

I don't think this is unique to Slacker as an audio source. I noticed this, but didn't think too much about it a couple of days ago, and the source was FLAC files from a USB drive. But you're right: when I came back to the car a different song was playing.

So I think this might be a bug as evidenced by the previous postings by wk057 in which he was highlighting that slacker has continued to download songs all day long even though the car should be "asleep". I too have noticed that it is not staying off when you are gone and picks up on an entirely different song than where you left off. The big problem for this would likely be on Tesla's end, since they are needlessly paying for bandwidth for music noone is listening to. I would "bug report" it, but I don't know that useful information would be sent to them since you need to observe it while the car is "off".

I got my car back from it's second annual service and was plesantly surprised to see they installed 6.1 on it (firmware 2.2.113). I asked my service advisor and he said that they just started installing 6.1 on all cars as of yesterday.

Well that is indeed good news to hear that they are now finally installing at the Service Centers. Maybe they just put an embargo on it for a couple weeks to hopefully limit those who just go into their service center to ask for the update. I wonder whether this was a time threshold or a user base installation threshold. Hopefully the guy who was having parking sensor issues can finally take his car in to get it troubleshot (troubleshooted?).

The big problem for this would likely be on Tesla's end, since they are needlessly paying for bandwidth for music noone is listening to. I would "bug report" it, but I don't know that useful information would be sent to them since you need to observe it while the car is "off"..
Or you are paying for the bandwidth if it is connected via wifi. But you may not care since it is pretty insignificant for most of us.

Presumably Tesla could monitor and notice that an awful lot of Tesla owners are listening to music all night long while their car's are not moving and still plugged in. Hopefully someone from Tesla is reading this thread and will have a look at this.

5bc71ab19e5d7775c467eb0b9393ccc5.jpg

Anyone get 6.1 today? Haven't seen a post of it at all, surprising since it seems to have been rolling out steadily the last day or two.

Got the notification around 1:30 this afternoon while I was at work. Went out to the car and started the install. By the time I left around 5:30 it was ready to go. Totally thrilled with it. TACC is everything I hoped it would be. It's a shame that tomorrow is supposed to be snow and ice so I doubt I will play with it much.

I installed 6.1 last night.

The rearrangement of of the settings will take some getting used to, but where the settings are now and the tabs makes much more sense.

The guides for the backup camera are interesting. I'm not sure I will use them, but they do look a little ghetto. I realize this is a beta, but I wish the lines weren't grey and perhaps more like a train track.

With V6.1 (2.2.92) when you have your right scroll wheel set to select media sources and you press the right scroll wheel while listening to media, the current station is added/removed from your favorites. Unfortunately, when listening to internet favorites (like Slacker or TuneIn), if the current station is already a favorite, it is removed from favorites and immediately disappears from the the screen and the favorites list. In it's place is the next favorite station. At first I thought this was a feature to skip to the next favorite station. After pressing the right scroll wheel several times, I realized I had deleted all of my favorites.

Hopefully, the next update will address this. Ideally, for me, the favorites selection should either not remove the currently playing station from the screen or should favorite/unfavorite the currently playing song.
I was updated to the "latest" version 6.1 (2.2.105) at the service center yesterday. Actually, they staged the update and I later updated it while waiting for my windshield replacement. The above problem I described has been fixed. Pressing the right scroll wheel no longer deletes internet favorites - it just marks/unmarks them as favorite. But the question is why I only got 6.1 (2.2.105) rather than 6.1 (2.2.113)?