Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What model? Same for a friend who got a P85 this week.

85 with tech.

They would probably deliver a new car with the most stable and bug free version pending proofing and reliability of the new releases.

Thats not going to cut it, 6.1 with its new features has been out for 2 weeks, a person picking up a brand new car should not have to wait for Tesla's blackhole algorithm to pick their number. Had I been with them at Van Nuys SC today I would have wanted 6.1 installed.

I have been touting how great the new feature are & totally expected 6.1 to be on his car...lesson learned.

Last edited:
Got 6/1 (the .113 subversion) on my Sig S85 tonight. Nice upgrade for "classic" early VIN. One interesting thing I noticed tonight is that the media "shuffle" mode is not random per se, its a shuffled 'list' that you can step forward and backward thru. Whats the difference? Well if you listen to a song, it shuffles to the next one, yet you want to go back one or many songs it does exactly that rather than "shuffling backward" (random).

Nice small detail but Tesla has done shuffle right.

Got 6/1 (the .113 subversion) on my Sig S85 tonight. Nice upgrade for "classic" early VIN. One interesting thing I noticed tonight is that the media "shuffle" mode is not random per se, its a shuffled 'list' that you can step forward and backward thru. Whats the difference? Well if you listen to a song, it shuffles to the next one, yet you want to go back one or many songs it does exactly that rather than "shuffling backward" (random).

Nice small detail but Tesla has done shuffle right.

.... I.....I might need to start a 6.0 support group soon.... :crying:

Update was ready on my P85+ last night, so had it install at 1am (after quickly perusing the last 25 pages of this thread for serious bugs).

Came out today to V6.1 (2.2.113) but didn't have a chance to go anywhere. :crying:

Interestingly, I did not receive any kind of "Update Successful" message. Had I not went looking for the version number, I wouldn't have known the update installed.

Looks like a false alarm... for some reason my car has been downloading songs from slacker all day? With no one touching it... (doors closed, locked, energy saver on, etc...)

This car is so smart it makes its own music playlists?!

Nice to see the range number - 237 miles - at 90% in my P85D with the latest iteration of 6.1:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421937831.048639.jpg

Nice to see the range number - 237 miles - at 90% in my P85D with the latest iteration of 6.1:

View attachment 69944

This is really interesting. Because some time ago, on January 10, when you were last updated, you had written:

With 6.1, 90% charge yielded 228 miles for me:

View attachment 68848

At that time, the update that took you up to 228 took me up to 225. The most recent update just took me up to 228/229, but took you up significantly higher, to 237.

I am wondering if you are one update (range-wise) ahead of me and some of the other P85D owners, or if Tesla is somehow adjusting for weather in the range estimates. Either way, it is interesting.

Many posts already indicate that 6.1 does not launch "update successful" message.

I got the Update Successful window when I returned to my car after it updated to 6.1. Maybe it has something to do with what you do during the update. I just went to the car, tapped Install Now, got out and left it (plugged in) for several hours, then checked with the app and went back to the car. Maybe opening the door or checking it with the app during the update somehow stops the Update Successful window from appearing. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it - you can see whether it installed and read the release notes in the "T" window.

What lesson have you learned? Don't make predictions regarding things you don't understand?

Delivering new cars with stable, well understood software makes a lot of sense to me. You really, really don't want new owners to have new problems.

No, I am with Lump on this one. Back on the release of 5.9 (I think it was 5.9...) when I first took delivery of my car, it came from the factory with 5.9 installed and the update had been out less than a week. Keeping in mind that 5.9 included not just the return of lowering the suspension but allowing you more control over those settings. Given that there was that whole fire risk thing being thrown around... if any update would want to make sure it was going to be safe it would be that one, right?

This whole update seems like a decent departure from how they were doing business previously. For better or worse. So I don't blame Lump at all for talking highly about the update that was logical to think that the new owner would have had it on delivery.

When I see him later I will tell him "instead of being disappointed in not having the latest features be thankful your not a beta tester like the others"

Or, you can say "you are getting a magic car that gets improved software OTA several times per year with significant new features". And, just as a precaution to manage expectations, you could also tell him "but don't freak out if you aren't among the first to get new releases, it takes a couple of months to get them out to all the cars." Your friend will have ALL the features you raved about in a very short period of time - in the scheme of things!

I think Tesla HAS made a recent change in the distribution... at very least making it completely OTA vs SC option. I'm guessing with the significant new configs and now a large number of config-dependent features, engineering wants full control, which is completely fair. I want Tesla engineering to get it right more than I want faster rollouts.

This is really interesting. Because some time ago, on January 10, when you were last updated, you had written:

At that time, the update that took you up to 228 took me up to 225. The most recent update just took me up to 228/229, but took you up significantly higher, to 237.

I am wondering if you are one update (range-wise) ahead of me and some of the other P85D owners, or if Tesla is somehow adjusting for weather in the range estimates. Either way, it is interesting.

Interesting indeed. Not quite sure if this is a factor but, I've been relatively-deep-cycling the battery atleast once a week. As you can see from the screenshots, my wife and I are taking the battery down to 50-80 miles before topping it off again; essentially plugging it in once a week. I did take the car past the 90% mark (but not all the way to 100%) once last weekend.

Love it!! Do any of your Tesla's have 6.1? I see you have 4!?!?!

Nope. Not 1 of them do. Wait, I lied... the one not in my posession apparently did.

- - - Updated - - -

85 with tech.

Thats not going to cut it, 6.1 with its new features has been out for 2 weeks, a person picking up a brand new car should not have to wait for Tesla's blackhole algorithm to pick their number. Had I been with them at Van Nuys SC today I would have wanted 6.1 installed.

I have been touting how great the new feature are & totally expected 6.1 to be on his car...lesson learned.

You could try but the service centers apparently don't even have 6.1. Many have tried but Freemont seems to be doing this their way and sticking their fingers in their ears to block out the complaints.

I had emailed service about the lack of updates on my fiance's P85 (still on the initial buggy 6.0 firmware that makes nav virtually unusable with no route line) and they basically said to just wait. :-\

Or, you can say "you are getting a magic car that gets improved software OTA several times per year with significant new features". And, just as a precaution to manage expectations, you could also tell him "but don't freak out if you aren't among the first to get new releases, it takes a couple of months to get them out to all the cars." Your friend will have ALL the features you raved about in a very short period of time - in the scheme of things!

I think Tesla HAS made a recent change in the distribution... at very least making it completely OTA vs SC option. I'm guessing with the significant new configs and now a large number of config-dependent features, engineering wants full control, which is completely fair. I want Tesla engineering to get it right more than I want faster rollouts.

Just curious, do you have 6.1? I think most frustration is coming from all of us standing in the cold like outcasts begging for scraps while the forum and Tesla go on and on about how star spangled awesome all these new features are. It can be frustrating and if it weren't for a death in the family I'd probably be much mire ticked about it as I drive long distance and TACC would be a huge improvement.

Tesla needs to COMMUNICATE with us better so that our expectations are managed. Failing to causes too much resentment and conflict when none need be. They really don't seem to get that one, from just changing designs with no warning, to removing features, to software updates... we seem to be an afterthought and that takes the shine off of the warm and fuzzies we normally get from our cars.

May be a business decision. It takes time and manpower to do software updates at the SC. Whereas, at home, it costs much less to Tesla.

Would you rather have appts scheduled even later (six weeks?) because time is being used to update service vehicles as well as soon to be delivered vehicles?