Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was my initial concern as well. When Tesla pushes out an update quickly it means they've done something they know we won't like and are trying to get as many people to install it as possible before the change is discovered.

Hopefully, this update was to fix the slacker bandwidth bug and is not hiding something more nefarious that hasn't been found yet. Everybody's suspension still work?:wink:

That seems to the tinfoil hat wearing view of the matter.

I'd suggest the less-nefarious reason is that they push out updates because they feel they are critical for safety or to correct a significant bug.

The fact is that they can (as they did with the temporary suspension FW change) make an update installation mandatory in that it can't be user-postponed... so there's no need for cloak and dagger "quick get it out before they notice" pushes of firmware.

The car was untouched for roughly a day. It was sleeping, no WiFi activity at all until it woke up on it's on in the middle of the night, connected to WiFi, and started pulling songs. It is also unplugged, which makes this more bothersome.

Ah I see. So it was waking up to maintain the 12 V. It's possible this still occurs over 3G even when the car is sleeping. The car maintains a cellular connection even while sleeping.

The fact is that they can (as they did with the temporary suspension FW change) make an update installation mandatory in that it can't be user-postponed... so there's no need for cloak and dagger "quick get it out before they notice" pushes of firmware.

No. I recall several owners holding back on 5.6 for a few months while they waited out 5.8.

The car was untouched for roughly a day. It was sleeping, no WiFi activity at all until it woke up on it's on in the middle of the night, connected to WiFi, and started pulling songs. It is also unplugged, which makes this more bothersome.

Can you try pressing "pause" on the radio before getting out and see if that keeps it from pulling song at night?

Can you try pressing "pause" on the radio before getting out and see if that keeps it from pulling song at night?

I haven't tried this personally, but others have reported that it doesn't matter.

My concern as a user of the vehicle is that it is sitting and using power on it's own while unplugged for no reason. From Tesla's view, it is likely wasting bandwidth on 3G if the user isn't on WiFi, which could have costs and repercussions with AT&T. Just two vehicles were able to eat 600MB overnight, so imagine if most of the fleet is doing this on 3G...

I haven't tried this personally, but others have reported that it doesn't matter.

My concern as a user of the vehicle is that it is sitting and using power on it's own while unplugged for no reason. From Tesla's view, it is likely wasting bandwidth on 3G if the user isn't on WiFi, which could have costs and repercussions with AT&T. Just two vehicles were able to eat 600MB overnight, so imagine if most of the fleet is doing this on 3G...

Clearly this isn't good, and needs to be corrected. And it's great that engineering / tech support has already acknowledged that you helped them identify the issue, wk057, and that they will get things straightened out.

I'm wondering, though, why everyone seems to think Tesla is paying ATT based on data usage. Has that ever been stated anywhere? Personally I'd think whatever deal Tesla worked out with ATT wouldn't be that open-ended. Obviously I could be wrong. I'm only asking because so many people here have pointed to the wasted band-width and the expense that Tesla must be incurring because of it. If I was negotiatiing the deal for Tesla, I'd have tried to negotiate a flat rate for up to X number of cars, or a rate per car, or something along those lines. I can't imagine accepting terms that would leave Tesla open to potentially huge costs, with no cap.

I'm wondering, though, why everyone seems to think Tesla is paying ATT based on data usage. Has that ever been stated anywhere? Personally I'd think whatever deal Tesla worked out with ATT wouldn't be that open-ended. Obviously I could be wrong. I'm only asking because so many people here have pointed to the wasted band-width and the expense that Tesla must be incurring because of it. If I was negotiatiing the deal for Tesla, I'd have tried to negotiate a flat rate for up to X number of cars, or a rate per car, or something along those lines. I can't imagine accepting terms that would leave Tesla open to potentially huge costs, with no cap.

I agree with this...especially since it's only using 3G bandwidth. I doubt Tesla is paying per MG/GB downloaded. All data and information that the car can download is a drop in the bandwidth bucket.. and slacker and other audio streaming services are compressed, so I really don't see a few thousand cars, pulling a few hours/days of streaming audio to really amount to much that either Tesla or AT&T would even blink an eye at.

I agree with this...especially since it's only using 3G bandwidth. I doubt Tesla is paying per MG/GB downloaded. All data and information that the car can download is a drop in the bandwidth bucket.. and slacker and other audio streaming services are compressed, so I really don't see a few thousand cars, pulling a few hours/days of streaming audio to really amount to much that either Tesla or AT&T would even blink an eye at.

Their contract with AT&T could charge them for bandwidth, we don't know. If it doesn't, however, there is likely a clause on excess usage and such.

In the past 2 days my P85D and P85 combined have eaten roughly 1.3GB of data from Slacker. So, lets say 650MB per car, so 325MB/day/car. This is low because both cars were away from Wifi for good periods of time in the past couple of days.

Lets say conservatively only 10,000 Model S have the bug and are not on WiFi.... that's 3,250,000 MB, or 3.25 TB of bandwidth PER DAY. Keep in mind that this is in addition to any normal data usage the car would do.

The average American drives 12,000 miles per year, so, ~33 miles per day. Lets say that 33 miles was done at 45 MPH, so a driving time of 44 minutes. We'll round to 45 minutes for simplicity. The Slacker MP3s I see in my WiFi traffic are 128kbit, so, 45 minutes worth would be about 43MB. So we'll say normal usage is about 50MB/day, give or take, on average for a slacker listener. Even if we double that to 100 MB/day the car is still eating over 3x that on it's own with this bug.

I'm pretty sure that is something Tesla and AT&T will notice.

Edit: I'll note that the above portion of the issue is Tesla's problem and won't bother 99% of users. However, the fact that the car stays awake while this is happening, and thus eats energy, is the end user part of this bug.

My assumption is that this is not just a bug in the media app and is related to energy saving/sleep in general.

I'm wondering, though, why everyone seems to think Tesla is paying ATT based on data usage. Has that ever been stated anywhere? Personally I'd think whatever deal Tesla worked out with ATT wouldn't be that open-ended.

I'm privy to another major consumer product deal that comes bundled with AT&T wireless service and it absolutely includes a bandwidth tax. Its impossible to know how the Tesla deal is structured, but there is no way that AT&T gave them unlimited bandwidth without charging an absurd rate.

I had to turn off "Smart Pre-conditioning" because it's not very smart. It has some strange idea of when I commute and keeps conditioning the car at all hours of the day and on the weekends. This might also be what is causing slacker to wake in the middle of the night but that is a total guess on my part.

I had to turn off "Smart Pre-conditioning" because it's not very smart. It has some strange idea of when I commute and keeps conditioning the car at all hours of the day and on the weekends. This might also be what is causing slacker to wake in the middle of the night but that is a total guess on my part.

The smart conditioning is disabled on both of my Model S and both still have the slacker bandwidth waster bug. (.113 and .115)

This was actually one of the first thoughts an engineer had about the bug, until I said it was disabled and got a "Darn" for a response. Lol

According to the post I'm about to quote from below, the old "Night Only" mode is now the "Off" mode. (I have no first-hand knowledge of this.)

Yes, I can confirm this. Off now means only-at-night.
Got .115 this morning (after getting .113 about a week back). Didn't notice any other difference (just based on a quick glance at the release notes, and controls/settings menus).

Ah. If the information page says that Off is the same as Night, then I am fine with that. Too bad for those who work night shift. Then again, how many of them would actually be driving at those hours.

Where did you get that "off" now means only at night? Are you saying that there is no more "off" during the day? I would be upset if that is the case because my vampire draw used to be 3mph, losing 30 miles every 10 hours until they released the off mode for all day. I rely on that mode to save a ton of energy.

Where did you get that "off" now means only at night? Are you saying that there is no more "off" during the day? I would be upset if that is the case because my vampire draw used to be 3mph, losing 30 miles every 10 hours until they released the off mode for all day. I rely on that mode to save a ton of energy.

Click the little information "i" button next to power management :

2ff1192109004a28b5f41850e531bbf2.jpg

That says it right there. Off explains that night time only energy savings.

Based on this quote in the shareholder letter from last year when they announced the four years of free data I get the impression they at the very least have to pay for data usage above some amount (relevant part in bold):

"To further enhance the driver experience, new Model S customers will now receive free data connectivity and Internet radio for four years. As an added benefit to our existing Model S customers, the free four year period starts on January 1, 2014. To be fair to all, in rare cases a customer may be charged for extreme data use."