Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If it could be enabled/disabled while in motion I would definitely use it for what I would guess would be a decent driving style efficiency boost. But you have to be in park to toggle it. There also doesn't seem to be a way to change the PIN once it's set the first time?

So the routing through superchargers is super pessimistic it seems. It says the trip I've done a bunch of times now NC<->NJ will take 12 hours with charging. I've been able to consistently do it at or under 10 hours with charging. I think my record is right around 9 hours, actually, at night with minimal traffic and 3 supercharger stops (South Hill, Glen Allen, Woodbridge).

I guess to "end range anxiety" it would need to be on the safe side.

So the routing through superchargers is super pessimistic it seems. It says the trip I've done a bunch of times now NC<->NJ will take 12 hours with charging. I've been able to consistently do it at or under 10 hours with charging. I think my record is right around 9 hours, actually, at night with minimal traffic and 3 supercharger stops (South Hill, Glen Allen, Woodbridge).

I guess to "end range anxiety" it would need to be on the safe side.

Is it err-ing more in the drive time, or the charge time, or the number of charging stops? I would suspect the charging times are the most inaccurate estimates (assuming normal drive times)

Anyone feel like experimenting with the trip planner? Very curious about how it looks up SpC status in real time.

What if all stalls are full? How does this factor into charge times? This is easy if you're in CA.

What happens if you pull into a paired stall and power is reduced? Does the car notify you to switch to a specific stall?

For anybody who uses cruise control as part of their regular route (to/from work or whatever), I'd love to hear if Valet Mode is more efficient (due to the "must maintain speed" potentially being less aggressive on hills).

I actually was just thinking this. I could see myself using this on a trip to keep myself in check.

Did you guys both miss the part of the release notes that said that "Cruise Control / Traffic-Aware Cruise Control Is Disabled" (in Valet mode)?

If not, just what are you referring to?

Anyone feel like experimenting with the trip planner? Very curious about how it looks up SpC status in real time.

What if all stalls are full? How does this factor into charge times? This is easy if you're in CA.

What happens if you pull into a paired stall and power is reduced? Does the car notify you to switch to a specific stall?

Good idea.
My guesses-
It will only bypass a SpC if it is 100% full and you have enough range to reach the next (not 100% in use) SpC.
Otherwise it will have you stop at the full SpC and the trip time will slip minute by minute until you get a charging spot.
I highly doubt the planner will direct you to the best charge rate stall at the SpC in real time but that would be an awesome enhancement.

The release notes seem to indicate that the Trip Planner --will-- route you through Superchargers if your route requires charging, without giving you any other choices. If this is really true, until there are more Superchargers around here, I won't be able to use it at all when considering a long trip that might require a short stop at an HPWC somewhere, which would be how this might actually be useful to me. For example, there's a trip of a couple hundred miles plus, to my mother's house, with elevation changes, that I might like to take the P85D on at some point. I'm almost certainly not going to try it in the winter until there's a Supercharger in Binghamton, NY, but there are some HPWCs there. I'd like to be able to use the Trip Planner when making this trip, but if the Trip Planner is only going to work for me by telling me to go through Albany, which is where there's a Supercharger, then it's useless. So I'm very interested to see if it will have the capability to override "Supercharger charging only."

Three hours after I started the update while the car was parked in my garage, went back to check on it. Door unlocked and opened fine but both screens were dead and didn't boot up. Locked and unlocked the car a few times and eventually, the screens turned on but, with an error message that the update didn't get applied properly. However, the info screen showed that 6.2 was applied. But, then, a dash message indicated that all Driver Assistance features were disabled. I can see all the settings as per 6.2 but, all the driver assistance features are apparently not available. Rebooting the screens didn't help.

Had a similar loss of the Park Assist features when 6.1 was installed. But, they came back a day later. Hope this resolves itself too the same way.

Three hours after I started the update while the car was parked in my garage, went back to check on it. Door unlocked and opened fine but both screens were dead and didn't boot up. Locked and unlocked the car a few times and eventually, the screens turned on but, with an error message that the update didn't get applied properly. However, the info screen showed that 6.2 was applied. But, then, a dash message indicated that all Driver Assistance features were disabled. I can see all the settings as per 6.2 but, all the driver assistance features are apparently not available. Rebooting the screens didn't help.

Had a similar loss of the Park Assist features when 6.1 was installed. But, they came back a day later. Hope this resolves itself too the same way.
I know that we had a few of these instances in the early days of the 2.2.xxx series - and some people called Tesla and got them to re-trigger the update and then things were stable... maybe you should try that...

In the meantime, would you mind filling out the Firmware Upgrade Tracker wiki? :)

I know that we had a few of these instances in the early days of the 2.2.xxx series - and some people called Tesla and got them to re-trigger the update and then things were stable... maybe you should try that...

There were also some people who had installation issues much more recently than that, with versions of 6.1. Some of those people had error messages, but the firmware seemed to be fine, but then they had issues later and needed to have the software pushed to them again. So I wouldn't just assume that if everything seems OK it probably is. Based on what happened to people in the past, I'd say there's probably at least as much of a chance that there's something wrong that a re-installation of the firmware would solve.

Clean install on my P85+ with autopilot. Got the notice about 10:00 PM PDT on Sunday night and installed right away. Took about 2.5 hours to complete. Drove to/from work today - about 100 miles in total. The TACC is much smoother and the blind spot is nice. Audio is a little better but not anything that I'd write home about. In general noticed smoother acceleration and stopping under TACC plus a better view of the road ahead in traffic.

I like what I see so far!

I'll wait and watch through tomorrow and reach out to Tech Support if things don't look normal. Speaking of Audio, my Standard Audio has definitely come alive! Listened to a couple of songs on Slacker that my son makes me play everyday and it's apples to oranges: there's a lot more bass now than I ever had!

Is it err-ing more in the drive time, or the charge time, or the number of charging stops? I would suspect the charging times are the most inaccurate estimates (assuming normal drive times)

Seemed like charge times were a bit high, as well as drive times. More charge times, I believe. It's saying a 550 mile trip will take just under 12 hours. That's not even 46 MPH average, and I've been able to do the trip at around 62 MPH average riding the bottom of the battery and highest part of the supercharge taper curve. I could be in and out of the superchargers I need in ~ 20 minutes each, and get to my destination in 3 stops.

It wants me to hit every supercharger on the route, when normally I can skip at least 2 of the 5 depending on how hungry I am by the time I get to South Hill or Glen Allen. I've done the trip in 2 long stops (~90 minutes each for 100% charge), but that's 3 hours of charging. Better to do three 20 minute stops for an hour of charging. It only really works at night though, since traffic around the Woodbridge, VA supercharger is terrible at all times of the day from dawn to dusk.

*shrugs*

Guess I'll see how it works out on my next trip in a few weeks.

I'll wait and watch through tomorrow and reach out to Tech Support if things don't look normal.

My point was that for some of the people that had the same thing happen, things --DID-- look normal, but then they had somewhat significant problems later that were attributed to the bad installation. I'm suggesting, because I remember reading these posts, that you may want to avoid having happen to you what happened to some of them, and just have Tesla push the update again. The downside is a couple of hours of installation time. The downside if something else pops up down the road could be much worse. I don't remember exactly what issues people were having, but my vague recollection is they were not completely trivial.

Perhaps some of them will weigh in and refresh my memory and enlighten us.

My point was that for some of the people that had the same thing happen, things --DID-- look normal, but then they had somewhat significant problems later that were attributed to the bad installation. I'm suggesting, because I remember reading these posts, that you may want to avoid having happen to you what happened to some of them, and just have Tesla push the update again. The downside is a couple of hours of installation time. The downside if something else pops up down the road could be much worse. I don't remember exactly what issues people were having, but my vague recollection is they were not completely trivial.

Perhaps some of them will weigh in and refresh my memory and enlighten us.

I was one of these people and ended up having to get long range ultrasonic control unit replaced. Always good to have TM (remotely, or SC) check the logs.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll wait and watch through tomorrow and reach out to Tech Support if things don't look normal. Speaking of Audio, my Standard Audio has definitely come alive! Listened to a couple of songs on Slacker that my son makes me play everyday and it's apples to oranges: there's a lot more bass now than I ever had!

Mentioned already, though just call an get TM to check the logs. There's a reason for those errors on install

DANG
Same here. OTA update to 6.2/2.4.124. When I got back to the car I had an error message. Drive Assistance disabled. Contact Tesla Service.
Several reboots and deep reboots didn't clear it. I'll call them tomorrow.