Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not terribly impressed with the Blind Spot Warning feature unfortunately... pretty much what I was most looking forward to in this release.It was raining here in Seattle, a pretty average rain, nothing too crazy, but if that level of rain or roadway mist can interfere with the system then it's not very useful.- Several times as I was overtaking cars, I noticed they did not register as I slowly passed them (while others did).- I got red collision warning while changing into a wide open lane with no nearby vehicles- On a wide open side street with no other cars or obstacles, both sensors were frequently activating around 40mph (particularly the driver side sensor)I don't expect to be able to rely 100% on these sensors... a lifetime of checking my blind spot is not a habit that's going to break anyway... but the false alarms are concerning.Hoping this is something that can improve over time with software tweaks, otherwise I will probably end up turning it off.
Just drove up to Canada this morning, rain was heavy and no false positives on freeway for Blind Spot. Did have it go off once on side street at ~40 mph on passenger side- scared the living bejesus out of me. Guess a bush decided to try under-taking me.The driving side blind spot detection is a lot less sensitive. Indicators on/off make no difference. It was interesting "experimenting" this morning eithout scaring the other motorists ;-)
Other impressions:
+Blind spot warning notification is subtle, unless you drive looking at the speedo it's going to be less noticeable. Love the idea though - maybe if left / right screens changed backgrounds to red (or similar) in order to increase chance of peripheral vision / HUD like reflection in windshield (at night)

+TACC is smoother, tacc level 6 and 7 both good for ~70mph cruising.

+No noticeable efficiency increase. Did not try in range more yet.

+Planning had issue someone noticed earlier. Setting navigation to destination skipped SC at Burlington, though I overrode this. Sitting at Burlington I tried same destination, to determine how much enenergy I'd have when I return and it would be < 10% (way below my safety buffer)

Not terribly impressed with the Blind Spot Warning feature unfortunately... pretty much what I was most looking forward to in this release.

It was raining here in Seattle, a pretty average rain, nothing too crazy, but if that level of rain or roadway mist can interfere with the system then it's not very useful.

- Several times as I was overtaking cars, I noticed they did not register as I slowly passed them (while others did).
- I got red collision warning while changing into a wide open lane with no nearby vehicles
- On a wide open side street with no other cars or obstacles, both sensors were frequently activating around 40mph (particularly the driver side sensor)

I don't expect to be able to rely 100% on these sensors... a lifetime of checking my blind spot is not a habit that's going to break anyway... but the false alarms are concerning.
Hoping this is something that can improve over time with software tweaks, otherwise I will probably end up turning it off.

Similar experience. Got the update this morning. The first blind spot detection I saw was a white one with nothing there (apparently triggered by the rain). I had trucks passing me and was passing some trucks. It seems really inconsistent when it triggers and for what reasons. I'd rather have the white warning there whenever someone is on my sides rather than being hit or miss. So I agree, I'm not impressed. I haven't seen any red warnings but I didn't get to drive much.

FM reception does indeed seem better. Not sure on audio codec thing in general but didn't try the USB since I've been unhappy with the FM reception all along.

The HPWC issue with it limiting to 79A appears to be resolved as well (time will tell though).

As many of us had predicted the Emergency Braking function is not tied directly into the Collision Detection function. I had someone cut me off on the interstate and the familiar Collision Detection alarm went off, but Emergency Braking was not activated.

My initial comments
Blind spot: I was in my lane, not turning or anything and I got the two red lines and tone for impending doom. A complete false alarm.
I had the same thing happen to me this morning, as another car passed me on the left, although I had my right turn signal on. It wasn't too close, as far as I could remember - and certainly wasn't close enough for me to notice. Sounds like it may be a little too sensitive.
What I'd like is the following:
  • Two levels of blind spot warning: One (eg: just the red lines) that comes only when my turn signal is on and there's a car in my blind-spot on the same side as the direction of the turn signal, even if I'm not too close to it (ie, no impending collision). A second level (eg: add vibration, chime etc) if I'm getting too close to a car in my blind spot - even if my turn signal is not on.
  • Ability to adjust sensitivity of the second level (like the one with forward-collision)

Blind spot warning was more of a disappointment. For one thing I don't look at my speedometer when considering a lane change. I look at the mirror - and that's where other implementations of this have the warning indication.

I agree, an LED indicator on the mirror would be a better implementation, but that would require a hardware change. Perhaps the model X will have this (or something similar if it doesn't have mirrors.)

You can now engage TACC at speeds below 18 mph - it simply engages at the 18 mph point and the tracking function matches your current speed if you're in stop-and-go traffic.

The Slacker sound quality is noticeably better (less raspiness on vocals) although still not quite as good as streaming songs from the iPhone over Bluetooth. Still, a welcome improvement!

Hadn't seen this mentioned, and maybe I've missed this previously, though has anyone else noticed the lightning bolt icon on the navigation (top right corner above zoom icons)? It shows all known charge locations in your area and lists them, ie

image.jpg

Pretty cool

First off, as my car just happened to be in for service (my annual service couldn't have been better timed it seems) they sent me the report via email that they had updated my software to 6.2, 2.4.124. So I guess, at least for my SC, they have the update. Although it may still be limited to certain VINs or whatever. I don't say this to influence people to mad rush your SC to get the update (as I think they are really trying to curb that behavior... and for good reason, my SC is busy enough as it is) but rather as a mention because of the discussions that happened during the initial rollout of 6.1 and people having their car in for service... on an issue that might have been fixed through the update... and they were refused the update.

So hopefully now we are at a "best of both worlds" situation where if your car is in for service already, they can update the software in-house for you rather than waiting for the OTA. (please, seriously, don't take this information and bum rush your SC begging for the update... at least not until things quiet down here over the next week or so as the end of quarter push is rounded out)

Second, regarding the sound quality (which I still don't have my car back yet to check anything), and specifically for slacker, make sure you go into the music app settings and under slacker and select "High Quality". This is not turned on by default (at least it wasn't in my car) and made a huge difference. I don't know what changes 6.2 makes on top of this, but if you have been streaming "normal quality" from slacker, then it is no surprise that it sounds like crap.

After install of 6.2 I have found that when braking there is now a kind of a jerk as the car comes to a stop. A kind of sqeak and then small reverse movement. For me that was present in the previous release (6.1) when the auto-following cruise control brought the car to a stop but not when I do the braking. I wonder if anyone else has noticed this.

In my opinion, the blind sport warning should not appear in the instrument cluster. That requires you to look at your instrument cluster while changing lanes, which is not where you should be looking during a lane change. It would appear the other manufacturers have this right - put the indicator on the side view mirrors. That's most likely where you are looking at that moment.

No, that is definitely new.

In case it is not totally clear, they added a charging icon above the zoom buttons to execute a "search" on all your nearby charging options: ...
The top is 6.1 (my loaner car) and the bottom is 6.2
I think we may be talking about different things.

Also note that the lightning bolt first appeared in 4.5 (and that's what I was referring to)...
Firmware 4.5 - Page 6

(See the 2nd screenshot in that post.)

It seems Tesla probably introduced it in 4.5, removed it sometime later, and then is now reintroducing the icon with changed functionality.

In my opinion, the blind sport warning should not appear in the instrument cluster. That requires you to look at your instrument cluster while changing lanes, which is not where you should be looking during a lane change. It would appear the other manufacturers have this right - put the indicator on the side view mirrors. That's most likely where you are looking at that moment.

I would argue that you are generally looking forward under your default driving mode (with the instrument cluster in view), so you already know *before* even trying to consider a lane change that someone is in your blind spot. Now you can opt to look left or right to figure out how to change lanes more informed than without the information given by the sensor.

So if you are driving normally, and you see the blind spot indicator, then you know without even bothering to look left or right that there is something there and you can just wait for the notice to clear before you even consider diverting your eyes off of what is in front of you to see if it is safe to merge.

It should also be mentioned that the charging locations you see on your navigation screen are Tesla-only charging stations. They do not include locations from Blink, ChargePoint, EVGo, etc. They also do not include any CHAdeMO stations, only Superchargers and "destination" HPWCs.