Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One test driver got a shot at the firmware version , but missed the release notes.

image.png

Not a word about Autopilot at the X reveal, which I found more than interesting.

Not during the presentation, but there was also the opportunity for reporters to ask questions and test drive it. It will be a while before there are enough articles written, but according to one of them the software for the S and X will be identical and Tesla plans to keep updates in sync. There wasn't any talk about interior features or any features that the S has because that wouldn't be news.

That still goes back to the issue of release date. Tesla's intent for a long time was to have all of these features out by the time the X hit the road. Apparently they didn't quite make it, according to Musk's statements about releasing the software next month. But they did get the car out by the third quarter. Perhaps it was best not to mention the software and "soon" at this juncture.

From what was shown, it seems as if the sensor array with one front camera and one radar will be the same, which makes sense if they are going to use the same software.

- - - Updated - - -

That 7.0 might not be the production level software, at least until beta ends in a few weeks. The software shown when the P85D came out was nothing like what went with the car at the time, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that the software in this one isn't the final release.

Not during the presentation, but there was also the opportunity for reporters to ask questions and test drive it. It will be a while before there are enough articles written, but according to one of them the software for the S and X will be identical and Tesla plans to keep updates in sync. There wasn't any talk about interior features or any features that the S has because that wouldn't be news.

That still goes back to the issue of release date. Tesla's intent for a long time was to have all of these features out by the time the X hit the road. Apparently they didn't quite make it, according to Musk's statements about releasing the software next month. But they did get the car out by the third quarter. Perhaps it was best not to mention the software and "soon" at this juncture.

From what was shown, it seems as if the sensor array with one front camera and one radar will be the same, which makes sense if they are going to use the same software.

- - - Updated - - -

That 7.0 might not be the production level software, at least until beta ends in a few weeks. The software shown when the P85D came out was nothing like what went with the car at the time, so I don't think it's a stretch to say that the software in this one isn't the final release.

Apples to oranges. P85D unveil did not involve handing keys to customers and releasing a new product out into the wild. These customers are walking away with v7 software and I can't imagine Tesla would unveil their latest and greatest with unfinished half baked tech. If v7 for these cars was unfinished I think it's much more likely the whole release would have been pushed back with it. That or, these cars come with v7 minus full AP which may be incrementally rolled out. We'll know soon enough once reviews of the cars surface.

Not a word about Autopilot at the X reveal, which I found more than interesting.

I spoke to a few Tesla engineers that would know what's going on, and when I brought up AP they got quiet. The X does not have stereo cameras in front, nor does it have rear radar that I could see.

I don't think the X is shipping with AP 2.0 hardware. Yet.

Apples to oranges. P85D unveil did not involve handing keys to customers and releasing a new product out into the wild. These customers are walking away with v7 software and I can't imagine Tesla would unveil their latest and greatest with unfinished half baked tech. If v7 for these cars was unfinished I think it's much more likely the whole release would have been pushed back with it. That or, these cars come with v7 minus full AP which may be incrementally rolled out. We'll know soon enough once reviews of the cars surface.

Bear in mind these aren't "customers" in the truest sense. They are all "Founders" which are really more like release candidate cars, to an extremely loyal/involved bunch of people. We are probably a month or so off before the keys are handed out for press cars or first proper customers.

So we have 101.xxx build numbers again. Intriguing

Does this just mean they are not for general release ?

>100 = internal beta, <100 = external beta / full release ? (So 101.87.4 becomes 1.87.5 on regular cars.)

Also where had these cars been prior to being delivered to customers. Page Ave. is < 3 miles from the factory, yet they all seem to have covered 30+ Was there a more private handover earlier in the day?

I spoke to a few Tesla engineers that would know what's going on, and when I brought up AP they got quiet. The X does not have stereo cameras in front, nor does it have rear radar that I could see.

I don't think the X is shipping with AP 2.0 hardware. Yet.

I would have to speculate that AP 2.0 (and 360 view) is a ways off if it wasn't included here. I hope they would not hand out the first 5 top $$ cars and then change everything a few months later.