Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of the six, one was Elon, at least two were Tesla board members, and I believe one was Sergey Brin. Not exactly normal customers. Was Kimbal Musk one?

Bear in mind these aren't "customers" in the truest sense. They are all "Founders" which are really more like release candidate cars, to an extremely loyal/involved bunch of people. We are probably a month or so off before the keys are handed out for press cars or first proper customers.

Of the six, one was Elon, at least two were Tesla board members, and I believe one was Sergey Brin. Not exactly normal customers. Was Kimbal Musk one?

I understand that. And yes, to a degree, these cars might not be 100% reflective of what's going to hit mass market, but that's not my point. These are not test mules. These cars/drivers are not under any sort of NDA (presumably?) and if the Model S release is any indication, I suspect they'll get a fair amount of press coverage. I can't see Tesla putting out initial release cars to the press that aren't fully functional or have "beta" plastered over the UI. They may be "beta" in the sense that not all features, such as AP, are present, and will come over time, but it would be hard to believe they don't come with a fully functional final release of v7. A very early .0 release, maybe even RC caliber, but I have to assume this is farther along than what early access beta testers have been driving around with.

Apples to oranges. P85D unveil did not involve handing keys to customers and releasing a new product out into the wild. These customers are walking away with v7 software and I can't imagine Tesla would unveil their latest and greatest with unfinished half baked tech. If v7 for these cars was unfinished I think it's much more likely the whole release would have been pushed back with it. That or, these cars come with v7 minus full AP which may be incrementally rolled out. We'll know soon enough once reviews of the cars surface.

These aren't customers who bought things off the lot. It's not as if they were invited and the delivery got sprung upon them as a surprise. They were invited to the event and had knowledge of things ahead of time in order to get things configured and to cover logistics and sign a sales contract. I don't see how an NDA as part of the deal would have killed it for anybody just because it meant having the same software that beta testers now have and that's scheduled to be introduced shortly.

Had the software been complete, that would have been worthy of a press conference in and of itself, or at the very minimum would have been part of the presentation, given that some of the things that 7.0 will supposedly have were never demoed in the past.

I can only go by what Tesla said in the past, which was vague enough and had enough wiggle room that anything could be the case. But considering that at least one reporter was told that Tesla plans to release the software in lock step with the S, it could mean that this deviated from the plan, or that Tesla did something different for a very limited, tightly controlled release. It seems unlikely to me that Tesla would decide that a release was final in order to get it pushed out the door before the end of the quarter when they didn't have the level of confidence to push it to the MS.

If these were rolling off the assembly line and were being handed out all day long, then the distinction between whether or not this is considered production software would be real.

Those people are all in the early access program. I imagine those Xs (assuming they ever left Tesla property) have software updates waiting right now which will give them auto-steer. Beta auto-steer, to be sure.

I understand that. And yes, to a degree, these cars might not be 100% reflective of what's going to hit mass market, but that's not my point. These are not test mules. These cars/drivers are not under any sort of NDA (presumably?) and if the Model S release is any indication, I suspect they'll get a fair amount of press coverage. I can't see Tesla putting out initial release cars to the press that aren't fully functional or have "beta" plastered over the UI. They may be "beta" in the sense that not all features, such as AP, are present, and will come over time, but it would be hard to believe they don't come with a fully functional final release of v7. A very early .0 release, maybe even RC caliber, but I have to assume this is farther along than what early access beta testers have been driving around with.

I was there, got these pics of Elon's X.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443632710.328992.jpg

No auto-steer

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443632727.936416.jpg

I've been posting about it in every thread since this morning! (at least 3 threads)

Someone said they asked Tesla and Tesla denied having stereoscopic cameras. (could be a typical Tesla no, meaning really yes).

Good observation! Keep your fingers crossed but don't hold your breath just yet. :smile: It will be interesting to see if the signature and production Xs have this feature as well as the other upgraded AP hardware we've been wondering about.

Due to the Osborne Effect, I don't think they will announce new hardware far in advance as it could lead to a huge number of cancelations or people holding off on ordering and that would negatively affect the 4th quarter numbers. Maybe it will be like when AP was first released and it will show up on cars being delivered before it has even been officially unveiled. In order to keep things in "lockstep" with the S, I would assume they would quickly add the same hardware to the S once it is added to the X.

I'm not in any hurry so I'll probably wait until the new AP hardware comes out...unless I see a really good inventory or CPO deal.

- - - Updated - - -

That may explain why no radar in front like on Model S. Since two cameras can be used to see depth. Like Subaru's EyeSight System

Could the new nosecone be hiding new radars as well?

That's the same triangle single camera that's on the Model S with AP hardware. The upper things are just reflections of the side panels on the back doors.

There are 2 triangles and 1 circle visible in that picture. Model S has 1 triangle and 1 circle. It could be stereoscopic cameras (my guess), but someone mentioned that they're too close together (Suburu with mobileye have them much further apart, as does the S-class mercedes).

There are 2 triangles and 1 circle visible in that picture. Model S has 1 triangle and 1 circle. It could be stereoscopic cameras (my guess), but someone mentioned that they're too close together (Suburu with mobileye have them much further apart, as does the S-class mercedes).

If there are two cameras, which I currently doubt, especially since Tesla folks were quoted as saying the S and the X would in in "lockstep" for autopilot features, they may not be stereoscopic but two different focal lengths. A narrow-field and a wide-field camera allow much greater flexibility than a single wide-field.