Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is all algorithm based mainly on g forces I think.

Heard this before. Never seen evidence of it. For mine, whenever regen > 30 kW my brake lights are on even on steep downgrades. This is also why a Model S with regen set to low will NEVER see their brake lights activate.

I see no brake lights on the car icon ever.

If they moved it to an app that could be displayed larger on the side of the dash then you would definitely see it.

Or the car could just pop up a reminder. Wouldn't that be a more thoughtful solution? Also, lease owners can receive a pop-up reminder as well when they exceed their daily average based upon the annual mileage limit.

In that note I'd also like the car to remind me when to rotate the tires based on my own selected interval. It's not rocket science, Elon!!

I got another "software update available" ping via the phone app. I'm not sure if this is .77 or not, and don't think there is any way to tell. I'm planning to wait a bit longer to see if they can straighten out some of these issues first.

- - - Updated - - -

All it actually shows is the numerical date. e.g. "26" for Oct 26. I personally liked the "Mon Oct 26" that it showed before.
Ok, that's good to know. I haven't upgraded to 7.0, yet, and this was one thing that wasn't clear.

I like to know when my brake lights go on -- it's a very good indication of how effectively I'm using regen and what people behind me are seeing when I use regen at various levels. For me it's an important safety indicator.

Also, I hate the the phrase "toy car" as it could be applied to any graphic representation of the car, including those on the control panel. There are what, 5 of those graphic representaions on various screens? How about car "icon or profile"

I'm with you. I think the new software is both improving and promising of further improvements, and it looks cleaner and less cluttered and technical:

+ The web app I'm most likely to use has a clock and weather, so I'm pleased to have a clock app for the instrument cluster to make room on the center screen. It would be better with the date included, and current weather.

+ I really like the new automatic trip app (current trip as well as since last charge). It gives us something we needed, even if we didn't know it. I have no problem with the manual trips being moved to the center console.

+ I also really like the "toy car" status display, especially for the brake lights (has anyone ever counted how many people end up wondering about that here?), but also for the headlights (high/low beam?), doors, and seat belts (except that doesn't seem to work for me yet).

+ The big media display is very nice when searching for new stuff.

In terms of promise for the future:

- Could we please allow cookies to remember, for the benefit of web apps, that use of our location has been approved (about 100 times!?).

- No date display anywhere?!

- Still no range projection on the instrument energy graph.

- Still no interior temperature.

Love the car, hate the stupid backwards technology of this version and now probably going to sell it. Never thought I would say that. They better get it together and at least give us a choice. I expect improvement not regression.
Wow. Tesla software and UI constantly change. Recommend that you wait for V 7.1 before selling your car because you don't like the latest UI.

Last edited:
In that note I'd also like the car to remind me when to rotate the tires based on my own selected interval. It's not rocket science, Elon!!

An infinite list of very small items is still an infinite amount of work. There are about a zillion things that would be very nice to have, but not essential to operation of the car. That's why I think the BEST possible software improvement would be an open API and development kit so that people could build apps to do stuff like this. And then, let the marketplace decide which ones are useful.

The latter, I was hoping they were brought back in .77. I frequently reference it to make sure I'm on recirc mode when driving behind polluting trucks. I consider this a high priority fix for 7.1.

Do you have a classic or AP enabled MS?

Classic, no AP.
I also find the steering improved quite a lot. Overall I would say that you def should update to 7.0!

+ I also really like the "toy car" status display, especially for the brake lights (has anyone ever counted how many people end up wondering about that here?), but also for the headlights (high/low beam?), doors, and seat belts (except that doesn't seem to work for me yet).

Would you object to it being shown on the side as a user selectable app? Could also output tire pressures and enhance the image so that folks with MC Red do not have the brake lights obscured.

Also, do you find the headlight "blob" to be annoying at all?

First off, why does anyone need to see their brake lights? Driven mine for 3 years and have never needed to see my brake lights. If regen > 30 kW, brake lights will be on. Simple.

It's actually not that simple. I've noticed cases where I'm getting nearly 60 kW and no brake lights while on the highway. Also get it much lower than 30 kW when you're going slower. It's definitely not as simple as > 30 kW.

It's actually not that simple. I've noticed cases where I'm getting nearly 60 kW and no brake lights while on the highway. Also get it much lower than 30 kW when you're going slower. It's definitely not as simple as > 30 kW.

Hmm. I experimented with this a while ago. With regen on low (30 kW max), I never saw my brake lights activate. Perhaps this has been changed I'm recent firmware? I'll keep an eye on it.

For fun, I pulled up the charging screen on 6.2 last week. Very steep downgrade. Lifted my foot off the accelerator and it went into full regen. Brake lights came on. I'm shocked that folks aren't seeing lights activate at full regen.

My brake light indicator and headlight indicator work very well. I am happy with the existing toy car, and they can even improve it by making the headlight simulate low beam and high beam and thus remove one icon on the status bar.:tongue:

I'd like if, once you initiate a route with navigation, if the toy car would peel out of the speedometer and "drive" its way over to the nav screen where it would land in the middle of the road. :wink:

I'm with you. I think the new software is both improving and promising of further improvements, and it looks cleaner and less cluttered and technical:

+ The web app I'm most likely to use has a clock and weather, so I'm pleased to have a clock app for the instrument cluster to make room on the center screen. It would be better with the date included, and current weather.

+ I really like the new automatic trip app (current trip as well as since last charge). It gives us something we needed, even if we didn't know it. I have no problem with the manual trips being moved to the center console.

+ The big media display is very nice when searching for new stuff.

In terms of promise for the future:

- Could we please allow cookies to remember, for the benefit of web apps, that use of our location has been approved (about 100 times!?).

- No date display anywhere?!

- Still no range projection on the instrument energy graph.

- Still no interior temperature.

+1 to all of this.

Would add:
+ the new mapping on the accelerator at slow speeds really enhances the drivability around town and in heavy traffic.

+ they fixed the climate control at last

- the reverse auto tilting side mirrors got reactivated when they had been deactivated