Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How well does AP work when you're in the HOV lane, and lane-splitting motorcycles keep coming at you from out of nowhere on your right side?

I've noticed some human drivers grossly overreact and steer half-way out of the lane, while others just hug the left side of the lane and are fine. I also used to get a little nervous of TACC confusion in this situation in the past (even if its usually fine).

Motorcycles should not split lanes. Period. They should use a full lane like everybody else. Instead they waste thousands of man-hours due to the traffic jams they cause when they get themselves killed due to their own stupidity. I never move over for them when they zoom past me at 90 mph in my own lane. I don't want to do anything that might encourage their reckless behavior.

Would anybody care to post release notes? I am now downloading 7.0 but I want to read the notes before driving and I know I will not do that if I wait to see them after the download .:crying:

Yeah, I get you. Probably a lot of Tesla-type geeks wonder the same thing, me included. But it's still one of those things we probably shouldn't be saying 'out loud'. Tesla has enough to worry about already. Don't want to read any stories about some guy sleeping in the back seat...

as well as seat belt, weight in seat and elastic tensioner.. You guys are well into the way of deservedly winning the Darwin Award ;-)

Good lord this thread is growing fast...
Someone with AP...
1)Can you set any speed you wish with AP active or does it force you to follow the speed limit?
2)If you can set any speed (let's say you set for 85 in a 70) and the speed limit drops, does it keep you at 15 over the limit, or does it drop you to the speed limit, or does it keep you at 85MPH as you had set?
3)Some of the videos show drivers being very careful to not use lane change when there were cars approaching, but my understanding is that you can put the turn signal on at any time and the car will not attempt to change lanes until it is safe. Has anyone tested that out?
4)Some has to have tried to rig something to simulate having a hand on the wheel when there actually isn't...perhaps you can anonymously post your "solutions"/results?

3) I hit the turn signal when someone was next to me - my car waited until it was safe before making the lane change. I wasn't dumb enough to try it if there was a car quickly gaining on me in the next lane, but I might be during the drive home.

Motorcycles should not split lanes. Period. They should use a full lane like everybody else. Instead they waste thousands of man-hours due to the traffic jams they cause when they get themselves killed due to their own stupidity. I never move over for them when they zoom past me at 90 mph in my own lane. I don't want to do anything that might encourage their reckless behavior.
Sadly it's legal in some state (e.g., CA).

This is indeed brilliant. I just wonder if my wife would remember this more often than switching it back to my setting.
My low tech solution? I got a reservation for a Model X for her. Assuming she likes it if (and when) we get to do a test drive (I'll give that a 50/50 chance), that will reduce the number of times I have to reach in from the open door and reset the seat :)

Heh heh....we should set up a poll as to whether it works. Our P85, too, has an "Exit" position. And guess who ​never remembers to hit it!!!!:cursing:

I think your low-tech solution...is available only to those with high-tech salaries. :biggrin:

They almost legalized it in Oregon this past legislative session.

CA made an attempt to outlaw it. It failed. As a motorcycle rider since age 16 I have and will never lane split. I have directly seen too many near misses and have read about riders killed doing this. How they kept this law on the books is beyond me. They did make some minor modifications regarding speed but doubt those will really get enforced.

I'm sure this will be buried eventually among tons of other videos and all... but figured I'd make one anyway. :p

Tesla Autopilot Auto Steer Firmware v7 (2.7.56) - YouTube

Auto steer only tried to kill us once, but I'll forgive it. :)

I've done the Hickory <-> Charlotte run many times (usually to/from Boone for skiing) and its very easy to get too tired on it. AP should be very helpful (if I had it).

Heh heh....we should set up a poll as to whether it works. Our P85, too, has an "Exit" position. And guess who ​never remembers to hit it!!!!:cursing:
I'm sure this is a trick question... but I'll try... YOU?
I think your low-tech solution...is available only to those with high-tech salaries. :biggrin:
Yeah, that is a serious flaw... thankfully I am in high tech... just not high enough in high tech to make this as painless as I wish it was :-/

- - - Updated - - -

I see the smiley, wk057, but to me this is indeed something I worry about (as a Tesla owner and shareholder). Even once is once too often. I dread when we see the first "Tesla Model S on autopilot caused accident" threads...

- - - Updated - - -

They almost legalized it in Oregon this past legislative session.

And I was on the phone with a staffer of my representative making it crystal clear what I thought of that.
And as much as I appreciate the work of the moderators here, phone calls to your representative aren't moderated so I was able to make my thoughts about this /really/ clear without fear of landing in the snippiness thread...

Time to trade up? :)

Well, I am a bit jealous of AP-cars, but I knew full well when I decided to buy my CPO in May what I'd be missing out on. The savings difference for me to get my CPO was still worth it. I'll probably trade-up when AP 2.0 comes out (assuming it has rear radar and can do better on city streets). I drove a couple TACC vehicles around Charlotte and TACC in the 2.4.x 6.2 releases didn't like the routes I take on my commute. So the only time I would get to use TACC would be during rush hour and on Greensboro/Winston/Boone trips (plus next week's Miami trip). I'll just watch with awe at the cool kids :p

I'm sure this will be buried eventually among tons of other videos and all... but figured I'd make one anyway. :p

Awesome. I doubt this one is going to get buried - more like "go viral?"! Highly entertaining music and pacing. Thanks wk!

Yikes. There was a lot of glare during that moment - wasn't sure exactly what happened from the video.

The good news is that putting on the turn signal shouldn't do anything if somebody is in your blind spot. But if somebody is one lane over and going 25 mph faster than you are, I wouldn't expect the car to be sure what to do.

3)Some of the videos show drivers being very careful to not use lane change when there were cars approaching, but my understanding is that you can put the turn signal on at any time and the car will not attempt to change lanes until it is safe. Has anyone tested that out?

It's really scary that there is so much misunderstanding about this. I've been attempting to clear it up when and where I see it, but perhaps I haven't posted in this thread, or perhaps you two both missed it.

The current hardware does not include rear facing radar. The only way the car "sees" anything behind it is by using the ultrasonics. Those have a range of 16 feet. Tesla has published in some places that it is the driver's responsibility to make certain that the lane is clear before initiating the lane change by signalling. If there was a car within 16 feet, sure, the autopilot system would prevent the lane change. But if a car was speeding up from behind, at a much higher speed than your car was travelling, it could easily be more than 16 feet behind you when you indicate you want to change lanes, and the Tesla would not see it at all. You can imagine the consequences.

Please help spread the word on this. There is a lot of confusion on this subject, partially because of how Tesla has been describing the feature in some places, and partially because of how some of the articles have been describing it. That confusion could cost someone their life.

Awesome. I doubt this one is going to get buried - more like "go viral?"! Highly entertaining music and pacing. Thanks wk!

That'd be fun. :)

Yikes. There was a lot of glare during that moment - wasn't sure exactly what happened from the video.

Wasn't really glare... more like overexposure from the camera being in the car and it being bright out. Hard to see whats happening, but you can see the wheel turn a little towards the right, and then I notice the car creeping out of the lane a hair and grab the wheel right as the collision avoidance alert sounded. I was pretty close to the overpass guard rail and the trajectory would have had me scraping it without intervention. Perhaps the collision sense would have steered away, but wasn't taking that chance.

This was basically the only unexpected time it did something stupid. Most of the time when it would ask for holding the wheel or whatever it was explainable (sharp curve, bad line, no lines, etc). That one with that overpass I just didn't understand at all. I did go back and try to duplicate it... but it didn't happen the second time around. Maybe Skynet learned? :)