Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After getting to drive with version 7.0 a little bit this afternoon, I have a few observations that I have not seen anyone else make yet.

One is that the release notes are not exactly correct with respect to the speed limit sign. The notes say that the size of the sign increases whenever the speed limit is exceeded. Here's a picture:

v7 speed limit-crop.jpg

In actuality, the size increases when the speed exceeds the speed set via the Speed Assist setting. So, for example, if the speed limit is 65, and you have speed assist set to +5, travelling 70 will not cause the speed limit sign to increase in size, but travelling 71 will.

Also the sign does not remain large the entire time the speed is exceeded. It seems to stay large momentarily, and then that repeats whenever you pass a speed limit sign.

Another observation is that the brake lights remain on if the "Hold" has been engaged, as it will be pretty much any time you come to a full stop and use the brake pedal. So, for example, if you stop at a light, your brake lights will be on, even if you remove your foot from the brake pedal. The brake lights turn off, of course, as soon as you step on the Go pedal.

Finally the parking sensors now show much cooler, more fluid graphics as you are approaching objects. Below is a picture after I parked in my garage.

New Sensors Sensing V7-crop.jpg

Last edited:
Another observation is that the brake lights remain on if the "Hold" has been engaged, as it will be pretty much any time you come to a full stop and use the brake pedal. So, for example, if you stop at a light, your brake lights will be on, even if you remove your foot from the brake pedal. The brake lights turn off, of course, as soon as you step on the Go pedal.

Thanks Andy. I expected this, but its good to have confirmation.

Last edited by a moderator:
How well does AP work when you're in the HOV lane, and lane-splitting motorcycles keep coming at you from out of nowhere on your right side?

I've noticed some human drivers grossly overreact and steer half-way out of the lane, while others just hug the left side of the lane and are fine. I also used to get a little nervous of TACC confusion in this situation in the past (even if its usually fine).

This is a very good question and I look forward to hearing what happens. The object (motorcycle) will only be seen once it gets very close to the rear sensor. Can the sensor differentiate between a motorcycle coming close or a car coming close? I would think that the software would almost *have* to be designed to either veer away automatically some, or sound the alarm that makes you take over the driving. I know that when I am driving, if I'm not looking in the rear view mirror, the motorcycle is usually already past me by the time that I can react. The extent of the "veer away" would have to be governed by what is on the opposite side, with whatever visibility the sensors have on that side.

Having said all this, Tesla must have tested this very thoroughly with as much of this kind of thing that happens here.

RT

I know that when I am driving, if I'm not looking in the rear view mirror, the motorcycle is usually already past me by the time that I can react.

This part is definitely true. They usually create a ripple of reacting (or overreacting) cars that lag their passage by at least a car-length. Even when I am looking for lane-splitters (in stop-and-go car traffic), they still surprise most of the time.

I'm sure this will be buried eventually among tons of other videos and all... but figured I'd make one anyway. :p

Tesla Autopilot Auto Steer Firmware v7 (2.7.56) - YouTube

Auto steer only tried to kill us once, but I'll forgive it. :)

Interesting vid. So, here's my question. You're there in the driver's seat. Your passenger is reading a paper (a paper?! what is this, the 1800s?). You're watching the road, as you should be.

Is it really more relaxing than driving? Isn't it...boring?

Last edited by a moderator:
Autopilot != Autonomous

If the state law is you can't use a cell phone, even if the car drives itself (it doesn't, it's a drivers aid) you can't use your phone. I see the law changing once Level 3 autonomous cars hit the road.

I can envision lots of laws changing with autonomous driver cars.

AP cars will be allowed to train at a legal 10 mph faster

No trains of more than 10 cars without a break

Insurance rates are half the rates for Human Driver cars

Human driver cars must stay in the right lanes to allow AP cars to pass

Etc.

For my 55 mile commute. Freaking amazing. No doubts about it. 2 tiny nags in 35 min of highway driving. Follows cars on city streets ok. Outstanding job Elon.

October 15 2015 is the day driving has changed forever!

+1000. A great day. Could not believe how awesome this felt. Yes, a little sketchy at times, but the future is here! And while I was driving, "Radioactive," by Imagine Dragons, came on. "It's a new age..."

Interesting vid. So, here's my question. You're there in the driver's seat. Your passenger is reading a paper (a paper?! what is this, the 1800s?). You're watching the road, as you should be.

Is it really more relaxing than driving? Isn't it...boring?

My husband gets the paper, I read it. I find riding in the passenger seat in the tesla too...relaxing. When theres enough light to read, I read the paper. It prevents me from sleeping, haha. My friend and Jason both agreed that I have the spirit of an old lady today. I'm okay with it...for today, haha.

OK, just drove home with autopilot. More feedback:

1. 10 more miles of interstate driving, not a single issue or nag.

2. Also drove about 15 miles on busy surface streets. It did remarkably well, although I was nervously watching it the whole time. Only one time did I take control out of an abundance of caution. The car didn't even ask me to take the wheel, and I was in a fairly urban environment with lots of traffic, lots of lanes (6), and lots of intersections.

3. When following a car that enters a turn lane, sometimes the S seems to prefer to follow the lead car into the turn lane, when it should clearly be able to see (using the clear lane markings) that the lane continues forward. This reminds me of how TACC initially tended to slow down excessively for cars turning off, but has since improved significantly.

4. I had a 5 mile stretch on a 4-lane bridge (2 lanes each direction) into the sun at around 6pm. This morning it worked fine. But this evening autosteer was not allowed on this stretch of roadway. Why? Contrast. The lane markings were faint, and the car could not see them. I don't blame the car though--they were definitely hard to see.

5. I actually am really liking the new "look", although I liked the old one as well. As for UI specifics:

a) IMHO the "toy car" and lane at the center of the driver display really conveys a lot of information very concisely--excellent UI design. The lanes themselves change and fade away/reappear to show you exactly what the car is seeing--brilliant. This is absolutely necessary in this stage of "semi-autonomous" driving where a driver cannot yet trust the car enough to make decisions completely all the time. You can see where you are within your lane, where the car in front of you is located relative to the center of its lane (and its distance), and it updates rapidly. I honestly am not sure how I could better trust any other car with similar technology without such a rich display.

b) The digital speedometer is fine, IMO. (Although I agree it could be moved down a smidge). I still don't understand the argument about an analog speedometer conveying acceleration better. (I understand the argument, but I don't buy it). I literally had *no* trouble determining when I was accelerating and when I was not. I just don't get that argument. When I'm accelerating, my ass pushes back into the seat. When I'm decelerating, my ass pulls away from the seat. When I'm doing neither, it feels normal. Why do you need a gauge for that?

c) I did not miss the energy/regen meter. IMHO it was fine in the energy graph. I also don't understand the argument as to why people feel they need this front and center, although I wouldn't mind it being a more permanent part of the display, perhaps next to or around the speedo.

d) When TACC is disabled, I don't believe the "set but disabled" speed is visible. (That is, I don't *think* it's visible--doing this from memory and I might be wrong). I miss that (if I'm remembering it correctly ;).

e) There was something I didn't like about the new energy graph, but I don't remember what it was. (Helpful, right?)

f) You have to see the parking sensors to believe them. Wildly cool when parking in the garage.

Haven't tried parallel parking--I don't encounter that much around here.

So far 39 entries in the tracker. Every single one to an auto pilot car (no surprise there). They seem to be heavily leaning towards 'D's, but that could be that in the "AP" population we do have a majority of 'D's.
Given that it's been about 8h since the first person reported v7 this seems indeed a rather massive roll-out. Definitely not the "trickle" we've seen in the past.

I'm still hoping that people will post screen shots of the various apps so we get a better idea of the new UI.
My vin#1571 is installing right now.