Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
8. Auto-parking seemed to be useless - I'm not even fully convinced that it was actually delivered in the update! See my full review further up, but I couldn't get it to work a single time. This is ignoring the fact that even if it did work well, it's only parallel parking at this point.

The auto park is actually my favorite part. At first it didn't seem to work for me either. But I think it has to do with speed, your lateral distance from the parked cars and the amount you pull up passed the space. It does a beautiful parking job! Completes with a stop with equal distance from the front and back cars. But I think the "P" symbol should appear a bit brighter on the instrument panel so you know it "sees" the space and is ready to park

Another pleasant addition is the removal of the TACC/AP "hold" functionality. Now, regardless of how long you wait at a stop the car will automatically resume when the car ahead of you starts to move.

That is welcome. Also, the NEW driver-activated "vehicle hold" capability, which replaced hill hold, is very welcome. In fact I was just thinking the other day, why limit the hold time? When one is sitting at a long light on a steep hill, it is (will be) really nice to just relax and hit "go" when one is ready.

Disclosure: I have only read about this in the release notes and have not tried it yet!

I'm about to write up a full review of my experience with autopilot. But since you asked, I'll post about that here first. In short, it was absolutely worthless. The plan was to take a video and post it here, but that never happened.

I went to a shopping center that I knew always has parallel parking. I read through the instructions on the release notes, as well as the instructions in the manual (which are more detailed) before trying to use the system. There were numerous spots where there were two cars on either side of a parking spot with a curb to park against, exactly what auto parking asks for.

I tried many times, in many spots. For the first while, I thought maybe the spot was too big, and Tesla expected me to be able to do that myself. Then, I thought maybe a few spots were too small for the car to be able to handle it. But then I just kept driving around, spot after spot, a few of them had to be perfect! I drove slowly, a little faster, all the way up to 15 mph. Sometimes I drove right next to the parked cars, sometimes I left a little distance. I went around in circles to the same spots, trying different combinations of speed and distance. I probably looked like an idiot, if anyone was paying attention. I basically tried everything I could to get the car to recognize the spot. All of this, for nothing. Not on one single occasion did the car recognize a parking spot and allow me to parallel park. Big disappointment!

If someone figures this out, please let me know how in the world you did it!

The auto park is actually my favorite feature. At first it didn't seem to work for me either. But I think it has to do with speed, your lateral distance from the parked cars and the amount you pull up passed the space. It does a beautiful parking job! Completes with a stop with equal distance from the front and back cars. But I think the "P" symbol should appear a bit brighter on the instrument panel so you know it "sees" the space and is ready to park

The auto park is actually my favorite part. At first it didn't seem to work for me either. But I think it has to do with speed, your lateral distance from the parked cars and the amount you pull up passed the space. It does a beautiful parking job! Completes with a stop with equal distance from the front and back cars. But I think the "P" symbol should appear a bit brighter on the instrument panel so you know it "sees" the space and is ready to park

Didn't work for me on the first, second, third, or 20th try! As mentioned, I tried every combination of speed and distance I could think of to get it to work, with varying distances between the two parked cars. Also tried stopping in various places and even just driving slowly past. Not once did that symbol show up. I don't know what kind of voodoo you're practicing to make it work, but the system is basically Goldilocks. My wife can find a spot to parallel park in more reliably than my Tesla!

Last edited:
I haven't tried coming up on a stopped vehicle with TACC engaged yet with 7.0, but it's definitely smoother when cars switch into and out of your lane. Previously, if you were moving at any reasonable speed and came up on a car stopped at a light, it would stop rather abruptly, much harder than I was ever comfortable letting it stop. I tried it a couple times just to see how it worked, but always wound up taking over pretty quickly. I'll give it a try with 7.0 later today and see how it does.

You can easily see now as soon as the car senses a vehicle ahead of you, even if it's not a vehicle that its actively tracking. Based on this, it does appear to be looking quite a good distance ahead and in theory should be able to come to a stop smoothly from that distance, no matter what speed you happen to be traveling.

Just finished my first 7.0 AP test drive. TACC definitely is smoother than before and slows down for a stopped car much better now. The sort of "jerky" auto steering are sudden adjustments I hadn't expected but I can get used to it. It also steers closer to the lines than I normally do particularly it seems in the left lane, again something I can get used to. The more I drove the more comfortable I felt. Also, as others have said, it has a hard time with offramps if you're in the right lane. I experienced a "lurch" forward at one point after I had stopped behind a car at a stop sign and was going to turn right. I dont know what I did to cause that but it made me a little nervous. All in all it's great!

Now, although the speed limit is displayed at all times (looks like a speed limit sign) and you can see what speed the TACC is set to, there is no indication if you are set to over or under the speed limit. You have to look at 3 separate places - the speed limit indicator, your actual speed, and the speed the TACC is set to. This sounds minor, and maybe it's something I'll get used to eventually, but I don't like it. It's just not nearly as intuitive.

The release notes indicate the speed limit sign will increase in size when you are exceeding the speed limit.

- - - Updated - - -

In the event of signalling to change lanes into passing traffic, surely the autopilot software with the radar and sensors would prevent itself from doing so?

Not necessarily. And this is a very dangerous misconception.

The current autopilot hardware has no rear-facing radar. The only way the car can "see" anything behind it is with the ultrasonics, which have a range of 16 feet.

If you attempt to change lanes into a lane with a car coming up rapidly behind you, you are probably going to have some sort of a problem.

Just commuted to San Francisco in rush hour traffic with AP active for over 90% of the trip. Here are my thoughts:

- The new flat design is surprisingly good and intuitive. It's even pretty. I take back my pre-release criticisms ... this is awesome.

- I got AP to work pretty flawlessly on US 101 and in San Francisco itself. Basically, I only had to get my car out of the garage, to the highway on-ramp, then it did everything else until the off-ramp. In the city, it also works super well except you do have to take over when you need to make a 90-degree turn at an intersection.

- In 20 miles of highway driving, I was nagged once to put my hands on the wheel in about 30 minutes total. It was justified due to faded lane markings in combination with an overpass that cast a shadow in low light.

- New smoothness improvements are great. In TACC, in Hill Hold, and the low-speed power application conditions are all really well done.

- AP doesn't work well when the lane splits and it doesn't know which way to go.

- AP doesn't work well when there is an intimidating k-rail on the left shoulder and the car biases right due to proximity to the wall ... I would prefer to be centered still, but that could be stylistic.

- AP doesn't work well (yet) to left-bias in my own lane when there is as column of cars much slower to the lane on the right, e.g., a HOV lane condition.

Something else I noticed with v7 (sorry if this is somewhere in the past 32 pages)
1. The cruise stalk button does nothing now. You can not turn "off" TACC. You can push the stalk, and it'll disable it. But as soon as you pull it it'll re-enable it. Pushing the button does nothing
2. When using TACC and stopped, for prolong periods of time, I no longer get the "press accelerator to resume", it just starts driving (awesome!)

I think all the other changes have been mentioned. O yeah, I love the UI!

Just commuted to San Francisco in rush hour traffic with AP active for over 90% of the trip. Here are my thoughts:

How well does AP work when you're in the HOV lane, and lane-splitting motorcycles keep coming at you from out of nowhere on your right side?

I've noticed some human drivers grossly overreact and steer half-way out of the lane, while others just hug the left side of the lane and are fine. I also used to get a little nervous of TACC confusion in this situation in the past (even if its usually fine).