Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My iPhone 6s dings/beeps when plugged into an Apple charger USB or my Macbook Pro USB, but not when plugged into the USB of my Model S on 2.28.19.
The iPhone has made a noise since at least 2007 when plugged into a charger, playing with it today I suspect its related to the bluetooth connection. When the phone is connected to bluetooth in your car the sound is played over bluetooth if your playing music if not no sound will be heard. Also if you turn bluetooth off the sound will come from the phone assuming that the volume is turned up loud enough for you to hear it. If the phone is on silent it will vibrate when plugged in with bluetooth on or off.

The iPhone has made a noise since at least 2007 when plugged into a charger, playing with it today I suspect its related to the bluetooth connection. When the phone is connected to bluetooth in your car the sound is played over bluetooth if your playing music if not no sound will be heard. Also if you turn bluetooth off the sound will come from the phone assuming that the volume is turned up loud enough for you to hear it. If the phone is on silent it will vibrate when plugged in with bluetooth on or off.

Bingo :)

In my car, when the phone is connected to Bluetooth it remains silent when plugged in regardless of music playing or not; when not connected to Bluetooth, it dings when plugged in.

It will as soon as you get a more recent update.

This sounds like it may have influenced something to do with bluetooth audio routing when not using the bluetooth source.

If you have a more recent update, what happens when you try to start playing music from your phone while it's paired via BT but your car has Internet Radio selected?

The old behavior is the phone still thinks it's hooked up to the car via A2DP and starts playing all of its sounds/music to A2DP (which goes to nowhere of course because that's not the car's input source). If this behavior changed in a recent update, that is very very curious because I do not know of any other car that is capable of communicating to a paired audio device that it's not the currently selected device.

This sounds like it may have influenced something to do with bluetooth audio routing when not using the bluetooth source.

If you have a more recent update, what happens when you try to start playing music from your phone while it's paired via BT but your car has Internet Radio selected?

The old behavior is the phone still thinks it's hooked up to the car via A2DP and starts playing all of its sounds/music to A2DP (which goes to nowhere of course because that's not the car's input source). If this behavior changed in a recent update, that is very very curious because I do not know of any other car that is capable of communicating to a paired audio device that it's not the currently selected device.
You're right. The iPhone only "dings" if it's not connected via BT.

I don't think it has changed. In my case, (2.34.100) when on BT, the music from my phone won't play thru the car unless I have the media device selected on the CID. And then, I am only able to control tracks, not switch albums. I have to do that from my phone which is a PIA, since the charging station is so awkwardly placed. Either unable to see it, or unable to re-dock it....take your pick. :(

How about this message "systems are powering up press brake when this message clears". I sat there for a few minutes but the message never cleared / went away and the center touch screen also stayed dark. Finally I gave up and scroll wheel reset the touch screen waited for it to boot and then put my foot on the brake... Car started up and the message went away...
This will occur if you have power saving enabled in the settings. The CID has to be re-woke from it's deep sleep. Every so often if it has been rebooted in awhile, it will fail to resume and need rebooting.

I find energy saving mode to be buggy and a PITA. I keep it off, and if I park my car for more than a day I just plug in my external 12v battery charger to keep the 12v from cycling. Win-Win!

This will occur if you have power saving enabled in the settings. The CID has to be re-woke from it's deep sleep. Every so often if it has been rebooted in awhile, it will fail to resume and need rebooting.

I find energy saving mode to be buggy and a PITA. I keep it off, and if I park my car for more than a day I just plug in my external 12v battery charger to keep the 12v from cycling. Win-Win!

I see this message often and do NOT have energy saving turned on in my car. I've seen it so frequently that I brought it up to my Service Center and the said they would tell Engineering about it. This was probably 2-3 months ago now.

I see this message often and do NOT have energy saving turned on in my car. I've seen it so frequently that I brought it up to my Service Center and the said they would tell Engineering about it. This was probably 2-3 months ago now.
Right. It's on my list to report as well when I go in for service next month. The message became more apparent IMHO at some point this year perhaps just before or around my applying .19. I NEVER saw the message from delivery last October until early this spring timeframe with Energy Savings ON for almost all the time. Now it happens multiple times per week and is far too random -- sometimes appearing when I've stopped for just 10-15 minutes while running errands, and at times will cause what seems like a "fast" reboot of the IC and/or CID (I say "fast", because the Tesla T appears, but it takes much less time for either display to become responsive compared to if I manually reboot either display using the brake or not, AND Media Player always remembers which USB song it was playing -- generally restarting from the beginning of the track.)

Right. It's on my list to report as well when I go in for service next month. The message became more apparent IMHO at some point this year perhaps just before or around my applying .19. I NEVER saw the message from delivery last October until early this spring timeframe with Energy Savings ON for almost all the time. Now it happens multiple times per week and is far too random -- sometimes appearing when I've stopped for just 10-15 minutes while running errands, and at times will cause what seems like a "fast" reboot of the IC and/or CID (I say "fast", because the Tesla T appears, but it takes much less time for either display to become responsive compared to if I manually reboot either display using the brake or not, AND Media Player always remembers which USB song it was playing -- generally restarting from the beginning of the track.)

It was like this for me for the longest time, but with Energy Savings turned OFF. When my drive unit was replaced, they flashed my car again with the then-new version (before .32/.34) and now I don't get this message multiple times a day, but my instrument cluster is off when getting in the car, even if turning on conditioning via the app. I will go into Jimmy Johns to pick up my online order and get in the car to turned off screen and Tesla logo on the IC (17" stays normal). Sometimes I will see the powering up message once the screen comes on, but usually not. But again, I will be in the car for 30 minutes coming home from work, pick up a phoned in order at the Pho restaurant, and come back to this. I will turn on preconditioning via the app from my desk and walk to the car and see this. It is getting annoying and I've all but given up on my car being "instantly on" like when I got it. This happens multiple times a day when using the car. Very annoying.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
It was like this for me for the longest time, but with Energy Savings turned OFF. When my drive unit was replaced, they flashed my car again with the then-new version (before .32/.34) and now I don't get this message multiple times a day, but my instrument cluster is off when getting in the car, even if turning on conditioning via the app. I will go into Jimmy Johns to pick up my online order and get in the car to turned off screen and Tesla logo on the IC (17" stays normal). Sometimes I will see the powering up message once the screen comes on, but usually not. But again, I will be in the car for 30 minutes coming home from work, pick up a phoned in order at the Pho restaurant, and come back to this. I will turn on preconditioning via the app from my desk and walk to the car and see this. It is getting annoying and I've all but given up on my car being "instantly on" like when I got it. This happens multiple times a day when using the car. Very annoying.
Man, what the Pho?

I am driving here on a restricted, divided 6 lane (3 each direction) roadway. Speed limit is 55 and highly policed so I never push it. What I like about this warning though, was it reduced speed as I approached a temporary construction zone (1 year project) with cones, idle equipment and dirt/debris piles along the left median and right shoulder. The car did not cede control, but proceeded to reduce speed and limit the auto steer speed almost immediately. The road was in good shape but re-striping was messy.

Question.....did it drop to 45 mph because it lost the left side lane line or because it 'detected' the temp 40 mph limit? (orange signs now post reduced speed for about 1/2 mile) If so, how do these machines learn a temp speed versus customary limits? Given 40 mph is displayed, I assumed it was actually detecting the reduced speed but then wondered why it didn't drop speed all the way to 40 mph? It bounced around a bit but once past the cone zone, it ramped back up to 55 mph. It was impressive, whatever it was thinking. [PS - it was after construction hours so the site/roads were clear and no one around. If needed, I was ready.] Any thoughts?

IMG_0953b.jpg

The Speed limit icon updating implies that it read the speed limit from the sign. Note that sometimes this feature doesn't work in your favor and it reads oddly labeled highway route numbers as a speed limit, etc. It's yet another reminder that this isn't a self driving car and it's still our job to be attentive to what our cars are doing.

The Speed limit icon updating implies that it read the speed limit from the sign. Note that sometimes this feature doesn't work in your favor and it reads oddly labeled highway route numbers as a speed limit, etc. It's yet another reminder that this isn't a self driving car and it's still our job to be attentive to what our cars are doing.

So it literally can 'read' the signs, even temporary ones? So freakin' cool, seriously!
Yes, I was very careful, thank you and I'll stay off back road route 66 just in case.

So it literally can 'read' the signs, even temporary ones? So freakin' cool, seriously!
Yes, I was very careful, thank you and I'll stay off back road route 66 just in case.
Yep, the camera is definitely capable of reading speed limit signs in a variety of formats! It has some built-in secret sauce for whether to trust a sign it reads vs what its GPS tiles say the speed limit is, etc.

Watch out for friends pranking you by holding fake speed limit signs by the side of the road ;-) (ok fine maybe only I have really mean friends!)

Reactions: NikeWings
Question.....did it drop to 45 mph because it lost the left side lane line or because it 'detected' the temp 40 mph limit? (orange signs now post reduced speed for about 1/2 mile) If so, how do these machines learn a temp speed versus customary limits? Given 40 mph is displayed, I assumed it was actually detecting the reduced speed but then wondered why it didn't drop speed all the way to 40 mph? It bounced around a bit but once past the cone zone, it ramped back up to 55 mph. It was impressive, whatever it was thinking. [PS - it was after construction hours so the site/roads were clear and no one around. If needed, I was ready.] Any thoughts?

View attachment 193452

Same issue with school zones. The car can't detect "when children are present" (yet) so be prepared to slow quickly to 30 (5 over the 25).

Interesting experience about the signs.

I was using AP a couple of nights ago on a highway where the speed transitions from 55 mph to 45 mph. I had the car set at 55 mph (Autosteer & TACC). The 45 mph sign has a pasted over "4" which I forgot about, and in the past the speed limit on the dash shows up as 5 mph at night (sorry no pics, traffic). Something about the pasted over "4" prevents the camera from seeing the number at night.

Anyhow, last minute I saw the sign, remembered that it will go to 5 mph and hovered my foot over the accelerator (expecting a sudden drop off in speed). Nothing. It kept going at 55 mph, no alarms, no nothing.

So AP ignored this false positive... (it did see the sign as 5 mph and showed up on the dash as such).

I have tried to test it during the day in the same location as it does read the sign as 45 mph. But during the day there is enough traffic that I'm sitting still at this location.

Closer to home that night it still automatically limited the speed to within 5 mph of a 25 mph zone (TACC & Autosteer) as I was testing it at 40 mph (divided local road with a median and no traffic, keeping safe...yes not a highway I know...). Brought me down to 30 mph.

Reactions: NikeWings