Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't read all 52 pages so apologies in advance if this is duplicative. A few thoughts:

+ Overall I'm pleased to have time and temp back on instrument panel screen
+ getting much smarter routings via Superchargers - big improvement
+ Nav told me to drive "under 60" to reach my destination, not just "drive slowly"

- reaction time from clicking on a listed Supercharger, favorite or recent destination to drawing and finishing the map seems much slower - and is exacerbated by the lack of visible response to my destination choice touch. It feels like the app didn't sense my touch or else froze
- I don't understand why they removed the quick media choice button. They were not running out of screen real estate. Main screen alternative takes more clicks and is less intuitive. Scroll wheel isn't accessible to passenger, and means I can't have it preset for sunroof or other control
- a v7.x issue, but putting the battery gauge on the lower left rather than where odometer is now means that sometimes it's covered by Nav lane diagrams. Noticed this on a drive yesterday when I was at a decision point for whether to go for a more distant SpC or stop and charge. Had to quickly pull up the energy app to see my remaining charge. I would rather have the odometer covered in that case.

I have an update for my car, I'm already on 7.1 2.9.154.... Take it and possibly get more restrictions? Wait it out and not be first?

If your model is 70D, then you will get V2.9.172 with includes a correction of the model type bug introduced in V2.9.154. The bug caused the car to show model 60 instead of 70 when you tap the Tesla T. This bug was reported by few 70D owners on the German Tesla forum. The release noted were exactly the same.

No Spotify here
I doubt most people expected it in the USA, even if some would like some other additional streaming service to be made available directly in the MS interface.

Not directed at you specifically, but I don't see why a for-profit fledgling company like Tesla should take cash from their bottom line to pay outside companies for additional free services. The USA didn't have the Rdio problem that Europe had with Rdio going out of business, and I applaud Tesla providing an alternative for those Owners. Even if some don't prefer to use them, Tesla continues to provide US owners 2 different free streaming alternatives as described when we each ordered our MS.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an update for my car, I'm already on 7.1 2.9.154.... Take it and possibly get more restrictions? Wait it out and not be first?
Ah, come on. Being a guinea pig can be fun. Being first gives you the opportunity to be in the headlines. Install, and it will give everyone something new to banter about (in a couple of cases, over and over and over). :)

Last edited:
Be the lab rat for us all!

Coming this soon it sounds like some sort of bug fix release. Besides, we're all curious about what the guinea pigs experience.

Ah, come on. Being a guinea pig can be fun. Being first gives you the opportunity to be in the headlines. Install, and it will give everyone something new to banter about (in a couple of cases, over and over and over).
smile.gif

It's downloading now, I'll try to get out at lunch to mess with it. Though based on the answer below, I'm not first, and it's nothing exciting...

- - - Updated - - -

If your model is 70D, then you will get V2.9.172 with includes a correction of the model type bug introduced in V2.9.154. The bug caused the car to show model 60 instead of 70 when you tap the Tesla T. This bug was reported by few 70D owners on the German Tesla forum. The release noted were exactly the same.

I have a 70D, I didn't notice it showing as a 60. Also 2.7.172 in the firmware tracker is showing for both 70D and 90D, so it has to have something else besides making the 60 a 70? (maybe the 90's were showing 85?)

See above. It's downloading now (started about 20mins ago, and actually it's done, finished in 18minutes. that's a VERY quick update).

But based on the above, it seems like it's just a bug fix to some 70D owners seeing their cars showing a 60 (though I didn't notice this).

I'll test it out during lunch.

Yes sorry, saw that after I posted. I did see a 90 car in Tracker though so was hopeful there would be something there for me like range algorithm update [emoji6]

Re: Spotify
I doubt most people expected it in the USA, even if some would like some other additional streaming service to be made available directly in the MS interface.

Not directed at you specifically, but I don't see why a for-profit fledgling company like Tesla should take cash from their bottom line to pay outside companies for additional free services. The USA didn't have the Rdio problem that Europe had with Rdio going out of business, and I applaud Tesla providing an alternative for those Owners. Even if some don't prefer to use them, Tesla continues to provide US owners 2 different free streaming alternatives as described when we each ordered our MS.
There have been MANY threads about this. We are not asking for a Tesla-paid account. We're asking for them to enable Spotify so we can use our own accounts.
According to wk057's work the Spotify app is included in US builds as well but disabled. The disappointing things he discovered were a) sound quality of the Spotify app was disappointing and b) you can have only either Slacker or Spotify, but not both. Which makes sense given it was designed for different markets, but is still disappointing.

- - - Updated - - -

It's downloading now,
Sorry to be a stickler for details... but you get the "update available message" AFTER it was downloaded to your car. I think what you mean is "it's installing".

It it took me a few days to notice it, but I think 7.1 must have turned off walk-away door locking on my car. At least, I know I didn't turn it off, but after my wife complained the car wasn't locking I checked, and sure enough, it was turned off. After turning it back on, no further problems noticed. Also auto-folding mirrors.

It it took me a few days to notice it, but I think 7.1 must have turned off walk-away door locking on my car. At least, I know I didn't turn it off, but after my wife complained the car wasn't locking I checked, and sure enough, it was turned off. After turning it back on, no further problems noticed. Also auto-folding mirrors.
I've noticed that after pulling the car out of the garage with summons that the auto present handles do not open, I have to use the fob to open the door

While I'm enjoying the "Driver Mode" to make only the driver door handle extend first. But I'll share a couple points:
1 - When using the Tesla app to unlock, all door handles extend even when in driver mode.
2 - The only other way to get all handles to extend from outside the car would be to double-click the keyfob. Double pressingn the driver door handle or pressing other doors while you have the fob at that door will not extend the handles.

Mainly because of #2, I'm tempted to turn off driver mode. It's thrown my passengers for a loop because they need to get in the car after I pull out the garage and when popping into park, the door handles retract while I'm in the garage. They ended up tapping the glass and I scrambled to press unlock on the screen since it was raining.

Still, a worthwhile first attempt by Tesla. Just too extreme for my use-case, but plenty great for others.

I think that´s normal after the update. It seems to reset these functions.
Same after my update to 7.1
Good to know now (I´ll check seriously after the next update) as I walked away after parking in the city without closing by keyfob.
Fortunately nobody got aware of my open Tesla within these 10 minutes I was away (handles were retracted).
Now I switched these functions ON again and everything is working fine!

Update: So my update was .172, I updated the firmware tracker. Same release notes (or at least I couldn't find a difference). No real difference elsewhere either.

I had to run an errand, so I took the car for a drive, a few more points of interest about the timed nag
1. I was going 55mph in a 55mph, TACC at 3, at the 3minute mark it said to the hold the wheel (straight road, no turns at/around that section). I thought "hey, crazy idea, what if it's TACC set to 3 for 3 minutes?" Like I said, crazy idea.
2. I changed 2 variables (bad me), 65mph in a 55mph TACC at 7. I got stuck behind a dump truck going 48mph. I made it to 3:32 seconds before I disengaged AP (no nag at all, I just had to change lanes)
3. 55mph in a 55mph TACC at 1, got stuck behind a car going 52mph. I made it to 4:58seconds before I got the message. So either I made it to 5 minutes and I screwed up by pressing the start button on my phone's stopwatch later than intended or this is unrelated.

In either case, it's interesting that both times the car was going less than the speed limit, I made it past the 3 minute mark (this is the same road where I had the 3-minute nag 4 consecutive times)