Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There you go. That's the alarm we don't have here in the US. We only have a basic Settings/Security/Alarm ON or OFF, not Tilt/Intrusion like MS must have where you are, and my former BMW had as well..
You're right; I just compared the owners' manuals and the US version does not mention tilt/intrusion. Seems a strange thing to omit; my 2002 Jeep has it, like your BMW.

You're right; I just compared the owners' manuals and the US version does not mention tilt/intrusion. Seems a strange thing to omit; my 2002 Jeep has it, like your BMW.

The only reason the Euro version has it is because it let Tesla be in a better insurance category, making it cheaper to insure. In the U.S., there is a discount for having an alarm, but not a further discount for glass breakage or other types of alarm (though I think there is a discount for GPS trackable vehicles, which ours should count). Had Eurospec cars not get that insurance advantage, I'm sure Tesla wouldn't have put the "security package" in any of their vehicles.

My S85 with 2.20.30 on TACC (and possibly AP) surprisingly slowed fairly abruptly for a big bus or truck in the adjacent lane that I was overtaking. The TACC might be getting more sensitive to adjacent lane traffic, and appeared to be responding earlier to vehicles starting to enter my lane, so ... possibly even responding to vehicles just appearing to begin to head toward my lane. Any others notice this behavior?

Also, the AP seemed to handle one veering-exit lane better, where the exit lane angles to the right, rather than making a gentle curve to the right. It is likely I will have a chance to test this at a familiar veering-exit that has not been well recognized several times previously (and the car attempted to veer left into the triangle).

I guess I thought it was your vision for the tracker in the first place, to prevent people from making "I have it.. I don't have it" posts. :)
I actually occasionally ask people for "don't have it" posts - the tracker does really well to capture the positive statements. But the absence of the positive statements isn't as clear - so for example, we had 406 reports for 2.9.154, 417 for 2.16.17, but only 343 for 2.17.37 - did that mean 20% people didn't get 2.17.37 or did that mean that 20% of people just stopped reporting?

I mean I don't come to TMC anymore. I haven't posted outside of this thread in many months because I found the redesign obnoxious and annoying and calloused attempt to increase revenue for the site owner. Maybe others have come to the same conclusion? I don't know.
Anyway, long story short, sometimes, after bigger roll outs, the "I didn't get it, yet" postings are really useful. Just not in the middle of a roll-out. Wait for the numbers on the tracker to taper...

So the 2.20.30 roll-out seems to be fading, replaced with 2.30.45 (again that jump of '15' like we had with the 2.17.x series). We have 137 2.20.30 reports, seemingly tapering off yesterday and already have 44 reports of 2.20.45.
While I didn't see any 2.20.30 reports for Model X, quite a few of the 2.20.45 reports are from Model X owners - but .45 already covers a wide range of Model S as well, broadly across batteries, VIN ranges, etc. and much more broadly across countries than .30 ever was.

Last edited:
I got 2.20.45 last night (classic S85) and noticed they still haven't fixed the bug where the car "forgets" the state the media player was in the last time the car was on. So even though I had the car set to say an AM radio station, and I can roll upwards the left steering wheel scroll button and sure enough there's the radio station's volume goes up, but there is no visual indication on the left side of the driver's display. And I have the driver's display set to show media status. One has to still "remind" the firmware that you're listening to radio/internet/whatever by waking up the media app, re-drilling down through the menus, re-selecting the station, and then "Oh!" the firmware figures it out and starts showing the proper state in dash view again.

The car seems "sleepier" now too. As in, when I get in the car, not only is the driver's screen black, but sometimes the 17" screen too, taking a second or two longer to wake up. And the gray T logo takes longer to appear in the driver's screen.

The other thing I am keen to find out, and will test today: did they fix the long-broken NAV map issues, especially relating to the blue route lines not going away when you set a new destination and you wind up seeing the OLD destination's route mixed in with the new.

2.20.30 arrived last night for me, and today I noticed a TACC behavior that I hadn't noticed before. Is this new?

I was on a freeway with slower traffic in lanes to my right and left, autopilot engaged, TACC set to X mph, and no vehicles visible in front of me on the dashboard display. I noticed that TACC maintained a speed somewhat faster than the traffic on either side, but slower than X. I had a good amount of free space in front of me, and while I could see a vehicle up ahead, it wasn't visible on the dash display. I don't think TACC could see it yet, and I think TACC was going a bit faster than the distant vehicle ahead.

New or not, I was pleased by this behavior. You never know when someone in the adjacent lane will jump out in front of you.

My S85 with 2.20.30 on TACC (and possibly AP) surprisingly slowed fairly abruptly for a big bus or truck in the adjacent lane that I was overtaking. The TACC might be getting more sensitive to adjacent lane traffic, and appeared to be responding earlier to vehicles starting to enter my lane, so ... possibly even responding to vehicles just appearing to begin to head toward my lane. Any others notice this behavior?

Sounds like what I noted above. Was the other vehicle on your left or right side?

So this is a me too post for 2.20.45...tracker already updated.
but I don't get many firmware releases (only major ones, 5 in a year) and I typically get them late...probably bad wifi for the car.
So this 'could' indicate a major roll out for 2.20.45.
That's my excuse for 'me too' posting :)

...The car seems "sleepier" now too. As in, when I get in the car, not only is the driver's screen black, but sometimes the 17" screen too, taking a second or two longer to wake up. And the gray T logo takes longer to appear in the driver's screen...
IMHO the occasional lagging display problem was introduced 2-3 firmware releases ago. I did not have it for the first several months of ownership, or at least almost never, compared to it's increased frequency in more recent weeks. I just described symptoms I see in another thread here earlier today, as well as what the SC told me about it.

I really don't see why anyone would want anything less than max regen. Why would you want to recapture less energy than you otherwise could?

I can answer this question. My fiance's (adult) son has Asperger's Syndrome, and whenever he's in the car, the full regen gets him carsick/nausitated in just a matter of minutes, so I put it to "Low". I would put it to "off" if I could when he's in the car. And that's for short trips. He can't tolerate the car, even on low regen, for long trips. So I'd go one step further and ask Tesla to offer an "No Regen" option.

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
I can answer this question. My fiance's (adult) son has Asperger's Syndrome, and whenever he's in the car, the full regen gets him carsick/nausitated in just a matter of minutes, so I put it to "Low". I would put it to "off" if I could when he's in the car. And that's for short trips. He can't tolerate the car, even on low regen, for long trips. So I'd go one step further and ask Tesla to offer an "No Regen" option.
Yes. ...and my Golden Retriever that used to always take long drives with me in my former hybrids, gets car sick in my MS, even on very short jaunts if I'm not careful. It's pretty sad for both of us, and to the point she wants to come with me, but now always puts her ears down with a very slow walk out to the car when I call her. My former constant backseat riding companion now stays home much of the time. I'm also convinced the cause is the more aggressive MS standard (or low) regen that gives her problems -- despite my best attempts at not making it that apparent every time I slow, and keeping the back windows down with fan blowing on her as hard as it will.

My theory regarding who gets what updates is that these smaller releases are essentially beta tests. Tesla has no formal beta program (unlike Apple for example who sends beta's out to developers and sometimes the public). If I was at Tesla I would want to ease a release into general distribution. It's software and everyone knows it contains bugs, we just don't know the severity or consequences. The consequences of a widely distributed bug could at worst be fatal and at best be embarrassing.

Releasing to a smaller group and waiting for feedback let's Tesla do a "blind" beta. Distributing to other than the target, for example including some non-AP cars when distributing an AP fix, allows them to get some regression testing feedback, i.e., did fixing problem A inadvertently break feature B? Then they accumulate those betas into a general release at some point with more confidence that everything is good. But even then, the short gap in time between 2.16.17 and 2.17.37 suggests that there was something not quite right in 2.16.17.

Of course this is just speculation, they may have a much more sophisticated method to their madness!

• Funny
Reactions: smartypnz