Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still don't get it. Your goal is to maintain speed or decelerate at a particular rate. Unless that rate happens to be at your current regen limit (max or otherwise) you will still be modulating with the go pedal or the brake.

My goal is to not make my passengers carsick. Yes, one can maintain speed or decelerate without regen by feathering the accelerator, which is easy to do when you intend to do it (say when you are near 0kWh need to coast to conserve energy), but it is very very hard to maintain a "no regen" policy 100% of the time. And at some point when slowing to a stop, you have to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake, and unless you're going <3mph, regen is going to kick in. So as I suggested, try driving an hour with absolutely zero regen, and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Reactions: msnow
My goal is to not make my passengers carsick. Yes, one can maintain speed or decelerate without regen by feathering the accelerator, which is easy to do when you intend to do it (say when you are near 0kWh need to coast to conserve energy), but it is very very hard to maintain a "no regen" policy 100% of the time. And at some point when slowing to a stop, you have to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake, and unless you're going <3mph, regen is going to kick in. So as I suggested, try driving an hour with absolutely zero regen, and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

I agree with this. While trying to keep my dog from getting carsick I have learned to not use TACC or AP and to feather my acceleration and slowing while he's in the car. TACC has a tendency to brake hard and late and accelerate fast to get up to speed which isn't good from my dogs point of view.

I agree with this. While trying to keep my dog from getting carsick I have learned to not use TACC or AP and to feather my acceleration and slowing while he's in the car. TACC has a tendency to brake hard and late and accelerate fast to get up to speed which isn't good from my dogs point of view.

Noticed the braking/acceleration is a lot smoother as you increase the distance setting. 4 is really smooth in my opinion. I normally drive in 3 though.

And at some point when slowing to a stop, you have to move your foot from the accelerator to the brake, and unless you're going <3mph, regen is going to kick in. So as I suggested, try driving an hour with absolutely zero regen, and I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that regen causes car sickness and using the brakes doesn't? In reality it doesn't matter if there was no regen you can still make people car sick by how you drive. And for some people it is way worse in an EV because there isn't the engine noise giving them warning of the acceleration and deceleration.

It would be interesting if someone rigged up a sound effect system to an accelerometer and see how much difference, if any, it makes for those people/pets.

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying that regen causes car sickness and using the brakes doesn't? In reality it doesn't matter if there was no regen you can still make people car sick by how you drive. And for some people it is way worse in an EV because there isn't the engine noise giving them warning of the acceleration and deceleration.

It would be interesting if someone rigged up a sound effect system to an accelerometer and see how much difference, if any, it makes for those people/pets.

Yes, the regen is the cause, and it has nothing to do with engine sounds (how condescending can you get?). It's not the same as just coasting and hitting the brakes (slowly and evenly). It is a significantly different feeling and experience.

He has no problem when driving in any other (ICE) cars. It's the instant "regen pullback" that most people don't notice or don't care about.

I was just out driving trying to reproduce what I am talking about. When going say 35mph and you want to slow down, as soon as I pull off the accelerator, FULL Regen kicks in, MUCH stronger than in an ICE and using just the brake, which you can moderate and slow down much more evenly. And if I try to feather the accelerator to slow down slower and not hit regen, I can't slow down fast enough for the stop sign or turn or whatever reason one needs to slow down.

Have you ever driven with someone (in an ICE) who uses the accelerator as an "ON/OFF" button on the highway? It's like that -- it's full force acceleration during the ON phase, and full force coasting thrusting you forward during the "OFF" phase. People who drive like this 'average out' to highway speed, but it's really harsh for the passengers. I know several people who drive like this.

@HankLloydRight, have you tried just using TACC even at lower speeds?

I haven't so I cannot say whether the TACC mitigates the jerkiness of the regen when "coasting" etc... I've only used it on the highways.

I have, it brakes harder than I do without it. I start to slow as soon as I see brake lights ahead or something even further ahead of the car I'm following that might cause it to slow. TACC starts to slow as soon as the sensors tell it to and that can be harsh sometimes.
@RogerHScott - I haven't tried other TACC implementations on other cars just normal manual cruise control so I don't know how it compares. I just know my dog hates it.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
So, after multiple updates that I didn't get (was still on 2.16.17 as of yesterday), I finally got updated to 2.20.45 and the reverse gps location is still reporting incorrectly (affects location as reported by Tesla app, API and garage auto-open/close position)

In red my real movement, in blue the movement reported by the API / app / in-car touchscreen. So, despite the fact that I backed in my garage, the car thinks I am parked beside my front neighbor pool.

2.20.45.png

I have, it brakes harder than I do without it. I start to slow as soon as I see brake lights ahead or something even further ahead of the car I'm following that might cause it to slow. TACC starts to slow as soon as the sensors tell it to and that can be harsh sometimes.
@RogerHScott - I haven't tried other TACC implementations on other cars just normal manual cruise control so I don't know how it compares. I just know my dog hates it.

FWIW IMHO, even if I'm paying a lot of attention to my foot control, my MS and TACC is more abrupt when slowing/stopping than my former Lexus RX450h with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control or my MBZ SLK with Distronic Plus (which includes radar cruise control) were. While I'm no engineer, from what was marketed to me, I believe the technologies of all three are/were similar in terms of physically how and what the vehicle can see ahead. There certainly can be differences in programming from brand-to-brand, and except in one emergency situation I can remember with my MBZ, both it and my Lexus were about as good as I could have been slowing in their radar cruise control modes. Tesla gets the job done, but it does seem more abrupt -- IDK if perhaps Tesla just has not prioritized improving the slowing/braking finesse as other mfgrs may have.

But, I believe perhaps the more important point here is the effects of regen can simply be more noticeable in any condition with a Tesla because of the design choice to have regen kick in as soon as you (or TACC or AP) let up on the accelerator -- and how much you or it does that -- vs. my former Lexus Hybrid where it's more subtle (and less-effective) regen kicked-in only concurrently as brakes were applied and in certain (downhill coasting) situations, or my MBZ ICE which of course had no regen at all, so how smooth you came to a stop was all one's own doing or that of of it's automated safety systems.

After driving two Lexus RXh for nearly 10 years before my MS, I loved their torque on take off (not as good as my MS), and while I elected to not be a hyper-miler, I did almost always let the vehicle slow itself to a stop by taking my foot slowly off the accelerator and using the brake at the end -- similar to how I drive my MS to maximize regen. My Lexus was very smooth and it was an easily accomplished experience that I've not been able to replicate with my MS after almost 8 months. It's why I believe this Tesla design point of heavier regen tied to the accelerator is the real differentiator, which I won't be able to overcome unless as has been suggested, there was a setting to completely turn it off. That sounds crazy, but for me putting a very small number of miles on my S90D most days, it would be a great improvement, especially if I could have my riding companion back with me and comfortable once again. I could then just change the setting like say Range Mode if/when I need the distance and greater regen benefits. It sounds perhaps to me like another refinement Tesla could consider one day (after firmware bug resolution, then basic Infotainment improvements, please ;).)

• Informative
Reactions: msnow
Since updating to 2.20.30 I've noticed a greater sensitivity in the Forward Collision detection software. Have had 3 false positives driving down my street when I go between cars parked on both sides of the street. Same cars parked in the same spots did not trigger the alert in previous releases.

Not a huge deal, nothing like some of the things others have posted. Just thought I'd call it out.

Yes, I've received both, 2.20.30 on my Wife's Autopilot car and 2.20.45 on my classic non autopilot car. I'm sure you wanted to know though if one car had received both.

On the autopilot car is just said in the release notes that it was a Summons update
On the classic non autopilot car the release notes just said bug fixes.
These two updates have had the least information of any update provided by the release notes even though in many cases release notes did not change from version to version in the past. So I guess this is progress.

On another note, the Audio selection bug introduced a few revisions ago is not fixed with the 2.20.45, I still had to manually select the music source a couple of times today.

I have the MS-85D, and I just downloaded & installed 2.20.30, wonder what gives. The release note saud Summon "when activating by parking stalk, choose diection". This was the same notes for 2.18.77
As noted throughout this thread, it is very common for Tesla to release multiple releases with the same release notes. While many of us would like more info what the differences are, we get to try and determine on our own what the changes may well be. Happy hunting, and welcome to the club! ;)