Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I actually occasionally ask people for "don't have it" posts - the tracker does really well to capture the positive statements. But the absence of the positive statements isn't as clear - so for example, we had 406 reports for 2.9.154, 417 for 2.16.17, but only 343 for 2.17.37 - did that mean 20% people didn't get 2.17.37 or did that mean that 20% of people just stopped reporting?

I mean I don't come to TMC anymore. I haven't posted outside of this thread in many months because I found the redesign obnoxious and annoying and calloused attempt to increase revenue for the site owner. Maybe others have come to the same conclusion? I don't know.
Anyway, long story short, sometimes, after bigger roll outs, the "I didn't get it, yet" postings are really useful. Just not in the middle of a roll-out. Wait for the numbers on the tracker to taper...

I posted "don't have it yet" last night. Some Tesla employee obviously saw my post and sent it to me this morning (to be read with a very sarcastic tone of voice). I dutifully updated the tracker when I was able to determine the version. You have me trained!!!

Reactions: rickgt and dirkhh
Well, I'm thinking 2.20.30 is called TPMS Buster - for me, at least. First, the right front tire was showing "Low" and after going into a local tire shop and getting it checked to find nothing's wrong with it. Today, the left front tire was "1 Psi, OMG, so low, pull over safely immediately!" But then after awhile the psi rose to 40 and stayed there along with all the other tires and the warning stayed on until I turned the car off and back on again. I hate this "crying wolf" that TPMS sometimes does. There's very little that freaks me out, but worrying about a flat tire really does cause a lot of anxiety on the road.

Sounds like what I noted above. Was the other vehicle on your left or right side?
The big truck/bus was ahead on my right side, and only light traffic elsewhere.

It was on a gentle freeway left curve which might have made the truck appear to the car like it was somewhat in front of me. But, previously, my car always seemed to ignore out-of-lane vehicles. So, maybe the awareness zone has been widened to give an earlier warning when a car starts to enter my lane?

Previously, a vehicle entering my lane would need to be something like more than halfway into my lane before the TACC would react to the entering vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
My theory regarding who gets what updates is that these smaller releases are essentially beta tests. Tesla has no formal beta program (unlike Apple for example who sends beta's out to developers and sometimes the public). If I was at Tesla I would want to ease a release into general distribution. It's software and everyone knows it contains bugs, we just don't know the severity or consequences. The consequences of a widely distributed bug could at worst be fatal and at best be embarrassing.

Releasing to a smaller group and waiting for feedback let's Tesla do a "blind" beta. Distributing to other than the target, for example including some non-AP cars when distributing an AP fix, allows them to get some regression testing feedback, i.e., did fixing problem A inadvertently break feature B? Then they accumulate those betas into a general release at some point with more confidence that everything is good. But even then, the short gap in time between 2.16.17 and 2.17.37 suggests that there was something not quite right in 2.16.17.

Of course this is just speculation, they may have a much more sophisticated method to their madness!

Tesla does have beta testers...about 700 or more of them. They have a formal name but I forgot what it is. Your theory is still valid though if they are releasing slowly with an A/B group.

Tesla does have beta testers...about 700 or more of them. They have a formal name but I forgot what it is. Your theory is still valid though if they are releasing slowly with an A/B group.

I think it's called Early Access Program. I asked to be part of it before AutoPilot went live, but it's invitation-only and they probably already have too many beta testers in the San Francisco Bay Area as it is.

That's interesting. Do you think any of them are reporting their firmware updates? Would that explain some of the very low number of reports on some of the releases?
When the AP update first came out last October (7.0) Elon mentioned all the testing it had undergone by these people but you have to wonder about the testing, reporting and resolution process. I would expect with a large number of testers like that the software would be more refined right?

I would expect with a large number of testers like that the software would be more refined right?
I think that what they are trying to do is exceptionally difficult both in terms of getting it to do stuff and in insuring that it doesn't do stupid dangerous stuff. I think the former is progressing as fast as technology and knowledge will allow. Beta testers are primarily for the latter.

New behavior with the latest update: I have it configured to chime when I go 5 mph over the speed limit. I hit a couple of places right before traffic lights where it slowed and chimed even though it was below the speed limit and there was no traffic in sight. I was looking right at the IC when it happened. All I can guess is that it was slowing in expectation of stopped traffic, and the chime for "car going faster than AP thinks it should" kicked in. (I doubt many other people use the chime option, so that option maybe wasn't checked in QA.)
Also, I was behind a car that was turning right at quite a distance ahead. I expected AP to slow until it was completely out of my lane, but it maintained speed like a normal human driver who would expect the lane to be clear soon. AP did see the car. If this is indeed new behavior, I am pleased.

I can answer this question. My fiance's (adult) son has Asperger's Syndrome, and whenever he's in the car, the full regen gets him carsick/nausitated in just a matter of minutes, so I put it to "Low". I would put it to "off" if I could when he's in the car. And that's for short trips. He can't tolerate the car, even on low regen, for long trips. So I'd go one step further and ask Tesla to offer an "No Regen" option.
Ok, but that is just a reflection on how the driver is driving. You can accomplish the same result by letting us less on the "go" pedal.

Yes. ...and my Golden Retriever that used to always take long drives with me in my former hybrids, gets car sick in my MS, even on very short jaunts if I'm not careful. It's pretty sad for both of us, and to the point she wants to come with me, but now always puts her ears down with a very slow walk out to the car when I call her. My former constant backseat riding companion now stays home much of the time. I'm also convinced the cause is the more aggressive MS standard (or low) regen that gives her problems -- despite my best attempts at not making it that apparent every time I slow, and keeping the back windows down with fan blowing on her as hard as it will.

I'm really sorry to read this, Bert. I recall reading more than once about how much you enjoyed her company in the car, and some of the lengths you went to with respect to seat covers, etc. That's really too bad.

Reactions: BertL