Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, I only notice a whine from my front motor during deceleration (regen). And I don't think there's much difference when I turn on my Range Mode.

New owners should be aware of these!
Well since new AP drivers tend to already be the most cautious, the note to remember you're still in charge of all of the driving should go out everyone. It's a driver suggestion system that also has the ability to control the pedals and steering wheel. And it can be relatively easily blinded in its current hardware / software state.

As for the V7 firmware, I really just want 3 things fixed / added at this point:
1. Remove a road from Nav routing (let me determine why but will typically to "Avoid Toll Roads" an actual setting in every other Nav)
2. Add a waypoint (or 2 or 3) to your journey without losing the existing trip plan.
3. Fix media playback (eg FLAC,MP3 and HQ Slacker skipping, etc.) & provide the latest Bluetooth audio support.

Seems to me the firmware developers are either working on something major (AP 2.0, UI refresh, etc.), or something else entirely (eg Model 3 OS). I'm getting the feeling is we should come to expect nothing new for a while...

"Can you provide any pointers to posts indicating leaving range mode on all the time could be less than optimal for the battery? If not, could you summarize the reasoning? I don't believe I've seen any of that discussion.

Those of us with dual motor cars that want to maximize the efficiency benefits of torque sleep have no choice but to drive with range mode on all the time, as we have been told (by Jerome Guillen) that the benefits of torque sleep were greatest with range mode enabled."

Found it, here is the thread I mentioned:
Interesting finding about Range Mode

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Andyw2100
If Range Mode affects only torque distribution to effect better range, what is its cost to the user? IOW why would it be an option rather than on continuously?
It seems you may have missed this a couple pages back. Did you by chance have your HVAC on "LO"?
I suppose I should have fleshed out the "If" in my question, as follows: If the speculation above, that range mode has been decoupled from HVAC and now affects only torque distribution, is true, then why ... "

(And I've seen subsequent remarks, including that the speculation is not likely to be true, and that a cost is front motor whine.)

I suppose I should have fleshed out the "If" in my question, as follows: If the speculation above, that range mode has been decoupled from HVAC and now affects only torque distribution, is true, then why ... "

(And I've seen subsequent remarks, including that the speculation is not likely to be true, and that a cost is front motor whine.)

But have they decoupled it all the time, or only at the extreme setting of being at LO? As I said in my post a couple weeks back, it makes sense to let the fan go to 11 at LO. Do we know that it will now go to 11 when on 64 with range mode on?

I know this is personal preference, but for trips I always use range mode. But, for around town I don't like how range mode feels when under hard acceleration. It's hard to describe, but it feels like the front wheels are doing more work than I want.

I haven't seen any change in the torque behavior of range mode between versions. If they did enable the full fan speed then I'm glad.

One report of 2.22.15 - so we skipped 2.21 and continue the odd "multiples of 15" pattern.
But one single report of a new version? Strange.

I feel the same strangeness

I took a picture of the about screen when I arrived at home from the service center and first thought "why did they install an old version ".15" until I realized that it's newer ".22" when it wasn't listed as a choice on the tracker site

I apologize if you already mentioned this but do you always drive with Range Mode on and what other pros and cons have you observed?

Yes, my wife and I always drive with range mode on, to take full advantage of the torque sleep benefits of our dual motor P85D. Far and away the biggest negative is in the winter, when the car is cold and the regenerative braking limit takes a long time to go away because range mode is preventing the pack from being heated. We do things like attempt to have our nightly charge end just before departing in the morning, and we charge with range mode off, and we also preheat the cabin on shore power, with range mode off, but even with all of that, if we leave with a regen limit, it will take some time before it goes away.

I guess the other negative would be that my wife does complain of being cold sometimes, but I suggested she just crank the heater higher, and I think that has solved the problem.

If Tesla came out and said that range mode had nothing to do with torque sleep, we would not use range mode. We are using it solely to get the full benefits of torque sleep.

Are you missing the driving dynamics of regenerative braking or the presumed energy savings? If the latter, is it possible that Tesla
got this right and that heating the battery would cost more energy that you'd recoup with regen?

The driving dynamics certainly more than any energy savings.

A point that I've made with Tesla a number of times in letters, and in posts here that had a lot of support, is that there should be an option to preheat the battery while on shore power, so that we could choose, if we so desire, to use some power to eliminate the regen limit, so that the car always drives the same way. I'm not sure why Tesla has not provided this option.

I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but isn't it fairly obvious (to Tesla) that range mode should have no effect when
you're plugged in?

That has also been worked into some of my letters. Having to remember to toggle range mode off when we get home, and back on before we start driving is silly.

I'll try to dig up some of the threads I'm talking about and come back and edit this post.

Edit: Here are a couple of the threads--

Suggestion for battery pre-heating and charge-end scheduling sent to Tesla

Would you use battery heating if it were available?

• Informative
Reactions: msnow