Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 95% of the gripes over 7.1 and 8.0 (compared to 6.x) could easily be fixed by Tesla just giving us choices. Let *us* decide which new options or design changes to enable ("toy car", etc). Stop forcing things down our throats that we can't change. If we like the interface from 6.x or 7, let us select that (to a point). Make the display layouts 'themes' and not hard-coded (I know that's a big ask and not easy). If we don't want the hiding icons or 'map always on top' just let us toggle those on/off.

I'm all for advancement of the interface, even in ways that seem braindead to me. But for the love of god, let **ME** decide if I want them enabled.
I think Tesla has chosen to go down the Apple iOS route of "we'll decide what's best for you" instead of the Android route of "you can do it, but you'll probably make your phone look like a 90s 'under construction' style Geocities website."

I'm not married to either of those platforms because, well, you can't marry that kind of stuff. But I'll say that when my friends show off their Android based phones, they're rarely attractive. They're probably more functional than my 6S, but they're gaudy. So maybe that's part of the trade-off. Allow people too much leeway, and they may not represent the brand in the way Tesla wants. Not to mention the dev workload to support multiple configurations. The downside to the current method is that some people are going to be upset about changes that you force down their throat.

I bet we'd fill the forum with complaints no matter which route Tesla chose. There are things I'm really not thrilled about with my classic S. The IC is a turn-off. But that's mostly because I know what I'm missing...

I think Tesla has chosen to go down the Apple iOS route of "we'll decide what's best for you" instead of the Android route of "you can do it, but you'll probably make your phone look like a 90s 'under construction' style Geocities website."

I'm not married to either of those platforms because, well, you can't marry that kind of stuff. But I'll say that when my friends show off their Android based phones, they're rarely attractive. They're probably more functional than my 6S, but they're gaudy. So maybe that's part of the trade-off. Allow people too much leeway, and they may not represent the brand in the way Tesla wants. Not to mention the dev workload to support multiple configurations. The downside to the current method is that some people are going to be upset about changes that you force down their throat.

I bet we'd fill the forum with complaints no matter which route Tesla chose. There are things I'm really not thrilled about with my classic S. The IC is a turn-off. But that's mostly because I know what I'm missing...
I get so tired of these analogies... it's a car, not a phone or a computer. No car offers close to the level of configurability of displays that tesla does. We really don't need more. We just need continuous improvement with less regression.

Plus, if they allowed the level of customization some people want, it would cause testing and support complexity. God knows tesla cannot handle more testing complexity, haven't even demonstrated that beta process works.

Reactions: markn455 and ohmman
I get so tired of these analogies... it's a car, not a phone or a computer. No car offers close to the level of configurability of displays that tesla does. We really don't need more. We just need continuous improvement with less regression.

Plus, if they allowed the level of customization some people want, it would cause testing and support complexity. God knows tesla cannot handle more testing complexity, haven't even demonstrated that beta process works.
I think we reached the same conclusion. ;)

I installed v14.42.40 two days ago and just discovered the mirrors no longer tilt down when I back up.
I followed the instructions in the manual but cannot seem to get this function to work
The mirrors still tilt down for me. Try rebooting both screens and then adjust the mirrors. Don't forget to save your driver profile after you do so because the settings are tied to driver profile.

• Helpful
Reactions: hiroshiy
I agree, they cannot afford having the toy car UI as an option, and really probably don't need to. I have not come across anyone so far who prefers the toy car to the battery SoC in the center.

The IC center is anyway different from cars with autopilot hw. We have a speedometer. Why must the toy car part match with autopilot? They can have all the flat UI elements, they can remove all the Skeuomorph. Just swapping the odo and SoC is a big step towards making owners happy. And I really don't believe there is anyone who'd dislike tha change.

Unless Tesla has other reasons behind it. Like someone suggested before, may be they don't want SoC to be front an center. It is not the most important thing one should be worried about. ;)

(I know there are other items we want too - like the time date temp alert icons etc. but just focusing on the toy here)

I installed v14.42.40 two days ago and just discovered the mirrors no longer tilt down when I back up.
I followed the instructions in the manual but cannot seem to get this function to work
A couple of other people posted about the same issue. If you checked the setting for that in the center display and it is turned on and you have followed the procedure to set the mirror positions when in Reverse, contact your Service Center.

I agree, they cannot afford having the toy car UI as an option, and really probably don't need to. I have not come across anyone so far who prefers the toy car to the battery SoC in the center.

The IC center is anyway different from cars with autopilot hw. We have a speedometer. Why must the toy car part match with autopilot? They can have all the flat UI elements, they can remove all the Skeuomorph. Just swapping the odo and SoC is a big step towards making owners happy. And I really don't believe there is anyone who'd dislike tha change.

Unless Tesla has other reasons behind it. Like someone suggested before, may be they don't want SoC to be front an center. It is not the most important thing one should be worried about. ;)

(I know there are other items we want too - like the time date temp alert icons etc. but just focusing on the toy here)
I really believe it is as you say at end: conscious decision to de-emphasize range. Range used to be the first and last question about EVs. Tesla has put that to bed with >225 on just about every car, superchargers, and excellent tools and predictors. They do not want range to be right in the middle of the IC. It would just underscore the single biggest buyer anxiety. Owners since 7.0 probably don't miss what they never had. Us classic owners may miss it, but we ought to appreciate the reason. It's really not that big a deal.

A couple of other people posted about the same issue. If you checked the setting for that in the center display and it is turned on and you have followed the procedure to set the mirror positions when in Reverse, contact your Service Center.
An update a few years ago caused a setting that looked on to actually have been turned off in some cars, and you had to toggle it off and back on again for it to work correctly. I forgot which setting it was, but you could try that for the mirrors.

I really believe it is as you say at end: conscious decision to de-emphasize range. Range used to be the first and last question about EVs. Tesla has put that to bed with >225 on just about every car, superchargers, and excellent tools and predictors. They do not want range to be right in the middle of the IC. It would just underscore the single biggest buyer anxiety. Owners since 7.0 probably don't miss what they never had. Us classic owners may miss it, but we ought to appreciate the reason. It's really not that big a deal.
Certainly, the placement of the charge level indicator is less important than the display that's not readable in the daytime.

The mirrors still tilt down for me. Try rebooting both screens and then adjust the mirrors. Don't forget to save your driver profile after you do so because the settings are tied to driver profile.

Thanks for the suggestions.
I did the "cold" boot on both the IC and Console, carefully follow the instructions to setup the reverse tilt mirrors but no change. Finally I just deleted my driver profile and created a new one. Everything OK.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Sorry in advance if this has been addressed or resolved in prior posts. I've been having random moments where I enter the car and once I step on the brake, the radio is on full volume 11. It also happens sometimes after ending a phone call. It's really random and very disturbing when it happens. Does anyone know what can be the cause and how to resolve this?

I have never had a problem reading my S displays in the day time.
Here's an example. The power metre is almost invisible.
low_contrast.jpg

Sorry in advance if this has been addressed or resolved in prior posts. I've been having random moments where I enter the car and once I step on the brake, the radio is on full volume 11. It also happens sometimes after ending a phone call. It's really random and very disturbing when it happens. Does anyone know what can be the cause and how to resolve this?
I haven't had this. Did you try a reboot? I have had calls disconnected when changing the volume. (To fix you have to reboot, delete, and recreate the bluetooth connection.)

Here's an example. The power metre is almost invisible.
View attachment 201378
I really think this is heavily dependent upon personal vision, IC display characteristic, or some combination of the two. You're not the only one to complain about it, but I also don't have trouble seeing things on my display. Photos aren't great representations because they're a single exposure. Our eyes adjust exposure (or at least aperture) like a video as they move around to light and then dark areas. I can take photos of my kids in the shade with a bright sunny background and never get the right exposure, but I can see them perfectly well.

I do believe you and others are having trouble, and I don't minimize the importance of it. But I do think it's dependent upon some combination of the individual and their display.

I have never had a problem reading my S displays in the day time.

I do when trying to set the slider on the battery. They sure messed that up in 8.0. It used to be big and easy to set it where you wanted. Not anymore, for me at least, and probably others without 20/20 vision.

I agree with @ohmman and think it all comes down to your eyesight and with poor eyesight the small battery icon can look washed out, especially when mostly full, like in the pic above. What's worse is that the Nav will sometimes go on top of it, but you can read the faded battery meter underneath. That can be a tough to read but at least you can wait until the Nav box goes away.