Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the v8.0 (2.36.108) around 8 pm pst. Front instrument looks the same to me, the biggest difference are Media player and Nav.

Somehow I'm not as excited as the v7.0 update, there is nothing wrong with the new UI, but there aren't any major functions we asked for years after years. No Waze, no Auto Play...etc

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: hiroshiy
I got 8.0 today, and I'm not sure it adds much for me (non ap). Maybe a little more slick overall.

Unfortunately I seem to have lost album cover art on regular fm stations. Anyone else notice this? I still get them on slacker, but on fm I just get generic station logos. :( I hope this isn't permanent because it's a big downgrade in terms of polish imo.

Sorry to hear that Grossie. I would give it a few days. Hopefully they will re download.

Top icons on 17" screen:
IMG_0927.JPG

Bottom icons on 17" display:
IMG_0930.JPG

It seems that it's a modern flat GUI, with familiar functionality at this level. I have not driven the car yet, that will be tomorrow when I get to experience the various items mentioned in the release notes (mostly nav and media) and perhaps discover any other subtleties.

Here are screenshots of the release notes (complete -post 1, 10 screenshots out of 15)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    472.7 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    415.4 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    404.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 108
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    423.1 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 109
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    390.2 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    530.4 KB · Views: 101
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    511.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Informative
If anyone on here gets 8.0, please post tidbits unique to Classics, like what our instrument cluster looks like and if the odometer checkbox is there (and its effect on the IC). Thanks!

The odometer check box is NOT there on my car, but I could add Trip A and Trip B to the trips display on the IC. There is also a check box to avoid ferries and toll roads in the Nav setting screen, and I can rename Trip A and Trip B if I so desire.

• Informative
The odometer check box is NOT there on my car, but I could add Trip A and Trip B to the trips display on the IC. There is also a check box to avoid ferries and toll roads in the Nav setting screen, and I can rename Trip A and Trip B if I so desire.

:( I guess I have to watch my car roll over to 52k miles rather than just be surprised when going to service. Thanks Steve!

From the photos posted upthread, it looks like the speed tape and power levels are brighter/have greater contrast now. Is that really the case or just an artifact of the photos? This is best judged in sunlight with sunglassss on. This is how my phone's camera sees my instrument cluster looking through my Rx sunglasses in 7.1:
BJpZhJV.jpg

Drat. All of the media player improvements appear to be for streaming or radio listeners. Or for people with short list of favorites. I've got huge USB library. Browse/search for me looks worse, not better. Hope this addressed in 8.1. Ironic that they made hifi stereo that sounds so much better with flac, but now orient media player to crappy audio sources

From the photos posted upthread, it looks like the speed tape and power levels are brighter/have greater contrast now. Is that really the case or just an artifact of the photos? This is best judged in sunlight with sunglassss on. This is how my phone's camera sees my instrument cluster looking through my Rx sunglasses in 7.1:
BJpZhJV.jpg

Got my hopes up there for a second.. They appear brighter in the second IC pic above, but it's overexposed-- the green battery SOC is all white. But if you look at the other IC pic above, it looks like it didn't change. :(

From the photos posted upthread, it looks like the speed tape and power levels are brighter/have greater contrast now. Is that really the case or just an artifact of the photos? This is best judged in sunlight with sunglassss on. ...
I took those pictures last night at 10:30 in the dark in my garage. I don't know yet if the contrast of the numbers and tick marks has changed. I'll let everyone know after I get the car out in the Southern California sun.

Reactions: Cyclone
So they kept the near-useless odometer front and center and the battery meter off in the corner as in 7. Is there anyone other than some designer at Tesla who preferred those positions to the original ones? Tesla is certainly not listening to its customers on this.
I'm sure they are trying to minimize difference between AP and non AP code. They moved battery from center IC to make room for AP info. Doubt it will ever return, even for those of us without AP.