Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bert, We trust you, but just make sure to use bullet points.
Seriously, as you indicated, any correlation between customer requests and what they give looks purely incidental. I am thankful for whatever I get, but this is all about AP. Perhaps if I weren't driving a Classic, I'd be more excited, but again, so many easy fix requests, almost none of which have been granted. Like with 7.0, when they gave us auto garage open, they gave us a couple of nice features in 8.0, but not the big ones, apparently.
I can't wait until we know more about the Bolt.

To BertL as well. I'm slowly going through the list right now. PM me and I'll send you the copy that was sent to Tesla. I think there is a disconnect of what Tesla things needs to be put in and what owners want. But there are several items that did make it into v8 that were requested that make me think they actually listened. The one in particular was reading the volume name of the USB storage media and displaying it in lieu of 'USB1,2,3,etc.'. To be sure, a very long list to go still, even if you only count the good ideas :)

Not going to dislike your post, since I understand the "fix it or kill it" argument, but please don't give them any ideas. One of the things I paid for was the ability to play my own music files in the car. The interior features section of my delivery sticker states that the sound system "supports mp3, AAC, and mp4 music formats." Granted, it doesn't explicitly say FLAC or lossless anywhere, but it also doesn't say I will need to stream those music files from my phone or over the air from some third-party service.

Let's hope these issues are quickly recognized and dealt with. I don't have 8.0 yet, so I'm not sure how bad it is that they took away the ability to jump to a particular letter of the alphabet, but it sure doesn't sound good.
I walked away from my Emepg of 14 years to put up with the Media Player in the car. Mark my words, if they killed the USB play feature all together, they can have the car back. But the good news is that USB is slowly getting some love. We have a thread about it going on to maybe help figure out what is left (search is a big one). Comprehensive USB Bug List

So I tried changing the label of the flash drive, I've made an MP3 and FLAC folder to dump in the appropriate folders whereas it used to be all in the root. When I picked a song, it didn't have cover art. So then I selected by album and saw some albums had cover art. Dusted off TagScanner and updated to newest version and edited the files. I found out that the albums that worked had cover art imbedded into the file. So now I'm TagScanning the ones that didn't have cover art and that's most of the files I have on there. I guess the advantage of this is you won't have mislabeled cover art like people have complained about in the past.
This really should be described in the release notes rather than by some random user on TMC. I mean, that's literally the job of whomever writes those notes, to educate the user on what's changed and how to properly use it.

I happen to agree with your assessment, however, I think we are overthinking this. It's not about us (owners), or even perfecting the product (the car), it's about new sales to new owners (customers!). They (as many of us once did) respond to the hype machine.

This is the point though. Tesla owners are Tesla's sales force. By giving owners features they actually want and request, they make us more excited to tell others about the car. And by having the features people actually want, you help draw in a potential owner that is making a decision by what features are available. Tesla needs include the good features everyone else has, as well as the features that set them apart.

Last edited:
Reactions: sillydriver
Couple of random notes.

Automatic operation of Homelink via geofencing now beeps when it triggers/operates. I love this. Sometimes it's the little things.

Someone posted earlier that the log on information for TuneIn and Slacker is missing. It's relocated. Bring the media window to full screen and scroll to the bottom of the "Streaming" window for the Slacker log on. Same thing for TuneIn.

Back to your regularly scheduled hand wringing and anticipation... :)

Mike
NOW INCLUDE THE MIRRORS FOLDING WITH THE GARAGE DOOR GOING UP.

Update: still doesn't work now having added "rename USB stick" and "reorganize root directory" to the list of ways to poke at it. I did verify that if I drop a few tracks onto a different stick, it works fine. I'm torn whether to reformat the stick and start from scratch as my next step, or report it to Tesla as a bug and preserve the stick as-is so the problem can be reproduced. (See how I am optimistically assuming I can get rid of the problem by reformatting the stick and reloading the music? Isn't that cute?)

Given nobody else has reported problems I'm inclined to reformat rather than trying to get a response on a media player bug, though, the USB standard may have been deprecated before they get around to triaging much less working on it. By the way, have others had success with large-ish libraries? (Mine is 200 GB or so, roughly 25k tracks.)
Check to make sure you have it formatted as FAT32 and not NTFS or exFAT.

I was the one that confirmed embedded artwork. I just tried the folder.jpg for those that haven't gotten 8.0 yet.
Thanks for confirming that embedded cover art now works in 8.0 (and that an external folder.jpg file does not get displayed.)

By the way, it's not easy to find a tag editor that supports embedding cover art for FLAC files on Mac OS, but xACT seems to work well and is free. It looks like MP3Tag will do the job on Windows, and might even work on Mac OS with a wrapped version.

To BertL as well. I'm slowly going through the list right now. PM me and I'll send you the copy that was sent to Tesla. I think there is a disconnect of what Tesla things needs to be put in and what owners want. But there are several items that did make it into v8 that were requested that make me think they actually listened. The one in particular was reading the volume name of the USB storage media and displaying it in lieu of 'USB1,2,3,etc.'. To be sure, a very long list to go still, even if you only count the good ideas :)
Again, I love your enthusiasm, but I did go back and review Korban's list as last published to the TMC community before writing my earlier reply. All is good. We just have a difference of opinion as to how much Tesla really implemented the most important recommendations, or IMHO perhaps there is only a coincidence a couple of the lower prioritized items appeared in 8.0. I agree Tesla needs to listen to its owners and future owners more (and better balance that with the visionary improvements we've come to expect from Tesla as well.) Peace.

Reactions: msnow
NOW INCLUDE THE MIRRORS FOLDING WITH THE GARAGE DOOR GOING UP.

I don't know why the geolocation folding mirrors still hasn't been implemented. All they need is an option within HomeLink to folder mirrors while in geolocation. The can use the same code for the smart suspension.

Oh no, I prefer my mirrors not fold when the doors open. :(