Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about the truck lust issue. I have experienced this behavior myself. I haven't had a good opportunity to see if it has changed any in 8.0 vs 7.1. I never liked the dead center to right of center lane position that AP seems to prefer when passing a truck. But I've also started to remember back to the days I rode a light motorcycle with full fairing. I remember how when passing a truck, especially in a crosswind, that I had to fight being sucked close to the truck. I wonder if a Venturi type effect is what is causing the car to veer toward the truck. After all, the car can be steered without disengaging AP so it stands to reason that a side wind load might be able to drag the car closer to the truck. Obliviously in a pure crosswind with no traffic the car drives pretty straight, so I do believe that it is very much related to large vehicles like buses, motor homes, and trucks, all of which I have had issues passing.
This is what I think is happening too. It's not programmed to hug large vehicles.

This is what I think is happening too. It's not programmed to hug large vehicles.
If this was true with AP off why wouldn't I feel a tug on the steering wheel even a slight one when passing trucks?
Secondly, I've never been able to steer my car while AutoSteer is engaged, not even a little without disengaging it. I've read a few people here saying they thought they could. Is this really a "thing"?

Secondly, I've never been able to steer my car while AutoSteer is engaged, not even a little without disengaging it. I've read a few people here saying they thought they could. Is this really a "thing"?
Sort of.

It might depend on the steering setting (I keep mine on the middle one, not sport, but not comfort, I think standard?). There's a little give.

If I'm driving within inches of a jersey barrier (in some cases) and I have AP engaged (yadda yadda, I should't do it, but I do anyways), I push the steering wheel slightly away from the jersey barrier so that if AP does anything stupid, it wont inch any closer to it.

So while it won't necessarily "steer" you into another lane, you *might* be able to inch the car a little to the side in one lane.

First of all the aerodynamic effects are most definitely in play. It's Bernoulli's principle, a tenet of basic Physics. See: Physics Force - Physics at Minnesota

I've always felt this. You also feel it if you are just standing/walking on the side of the road and a big truck speeds by.

Second, yes, you can apply a little bias to the wheel when AP is engaged w/o disengaging it. Try it, you'l see! Start off with just a little pressure and you'l see you can influence the car's position in the lane a bit. If you deviate too far from AutoSteer's control loop limits, it will disengage however.

Reactions: airbish and vdiv
Sort of.

It might depend on the steering setting (I keep mine on the middle one, not sport, but not comfort, I think standard?). There's a little give.

If I'm driving within inches of a jersey barrier (in some cases) and I have AP engaged (yadda yadda, I should't do it, but I do anyways), I push the steering wheel slightly away from the jersey barrier so that if AP does anything stupid, it wont inch any closer to it.

So while it won't necessarily "steer" you into another lane, you *might* be able to inch the car a little to the side in one lane.
Ok but I think you're saying you hope it will inch over but have never actually experienced it. I know I've tried and I have the same "standard" steering sensitivity as you and nothing happens. Perhaps a Tesla urban myth?

First of all the aerodynamic effects are most definitely in play. It's Bernoulli's principle, a tenet of basic Physics. See: Physics Force - Physics at Minnesota

I've always felt this. You also feel it if you are just standing/walking on the side of the road and a big truck speeds by.

Second, yes, you can apply a little bias to the wheel when AP is engaged w/o disengaging it. Try it, you'l see! Start off with just a little pressure and you'l see you can influence the car's position in the lane a bit. If you deviate too far from AutoSteer's control loop limits, it will disengage however.
What's your steering sensitivity setting?

Ok but I think you're saying you hope it will inch over but have never actually experienced it. I know I've tried and I have the same "standard" steering sensitivity as you and nothing happens. Perhaps a Tesla urban myth?
I feel it does move a little bit, just a little bit. Like I said, I've never got it to move into another lane, but I feel it moves a hair to the side in your lane. Or maybe it's just psychological, maybe, dunno.

I also think that the warning buzzing when you cross a solid lane is coming from the side that you cross the lane on, but everyone here seems to say that it's coming from the center of the steering wheel/column, so I'm crazy. Which again, maybe, dunno.

The problem with applying the bias is it has a spring effect. If you let go the car will bounce in the opposite direction possibly hitting what you were trying to avoid. If you apply too much torque Autosteer will give up and you could oversteer in the bias direction. This is my biggest pet peeve with Autosteer, having to fight it almost all the time as the line it is taking is not the optimal one.

I feel it does move a little bit, just a little bit. Like I said, I've never got it to move into another lane, but I feel it moves a hair to the side in your lane. Or maybe it's just psychological, maybe, dunno.

I also think that the warning buzzing when you cross a solid lane is coming from the side that you cross the lane on, but everyone here seems to say that it's coming from the center of the steering wheel/column, so I'm crazy. Which again, maybe, dunno.
Ah, the steering buzz, good one. Feels like the steering column to me too. @Ingineer , which is it if you know?

The problem with applying the bias is it has a spring effect. If you let go the car will bounce in the opposite direction possibly hitting what you were trying to avoid. If you apply too much torque Autosteer will give up and you could oversteer in the bias direction. This is my biggest pet peeve with Autosteer, having to fight it almost all the time as the line it is taking is not the optimal one.
Another reason I don't think it works (for me) is that during the infamous "truck veer" I have used the steering wheel while in AP to try and counter it but nothing happens.

Sort of.

For those scratching your heads (like I did)...
Jersey barrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: Max*
hah, thanks yeah, I guess it's more of a local term. I had to Google "K-rail" when someone posted it upthread, and realized that K-rail is more of a western state thing (CA, etc.) and is the same as a Jersey barrier.
I have an undergrad in civil engineering, and I can assure you that "Jersey Barrier" is the appropriate term. New Jersey DOT was pretty innovative for years, which explains some of the crazy jug-handles and traffic circle implementations they have in certain regions.

Sorry for the off topic discussion. Back to the regularly scheduled complaining. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Nevek and Max*
Ah, the steering buzz, good one. Feels like the steering column to me too. @Ingineer , which is it if you know?
Yes, the "buzz" is created by the steering rack motor itself, it's not a separate device. It's a software construct. So there is most definitely no "side" to it. It's the whole column. The frequency they chose is damped by the mass of the wheel itself, so you don't really feel it moving back and forth, just a vibration.

I have an undergrad in civil engineering, and I can assure you that "Jersey Barrier" is the appropriate term. New Jersey DOT was pretty innovative for years, which explains some of the crazy jug-handles and traffic circle implementations they have in certain regions.

Sorry for the off topic discussion. Back to the regularly scheduled complaining. ;)
OhmMan is right, All explained here: Jersey barrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO, perhaps there is a little wiggle room to override Autosteer by applying just the right amount of pressure on the wheel. That's great, but I've never experienced it myself. I suppose I consider it too much trouble trying to maintain Autosteer like that for the sake of doing so vs. taking steering control back myself. The other thing is, when I'm on Autosteer and traveling fine down my lane, and have several times been drawn either very quickly (underneath) towards the semi immediately to my right, or towards a semi just ahead (well less than 3 car lengths) to my right at 65-75 MPH, I have NO TIME to fool around, attempt a subtle tweak of the wheel, and pray Autosteer would keep me from crashing. As I've done, it's far better for me to take more assertive immediate control turning the wheel and bumping Autosteer OFF in the process, with a higher probability of keeping me safe. I do the same with medians on my left that Autosteer begins to hug closer than I desire. It's not worth my having to work harder or increase my anxiety level, with something that is supposed to be a driver assistance tool. To each their own in that regard.

As to the Bernoulli Effect, I get it, but I disagree even with @Ingineer on this one. I'm not speculating, but talking from experience in the past week with 5-6 8.0 truck lust situations that occurred only with Autosteer ON, and never with TACC alone in broadly similar environments. When Autosteer and TACC are OFF, in almost 1-year having AP enabled on my MS, I have never felt any sort of pull in my MS towards even a few semis in any conditions like I've recently experienced. What happened to me a few days ago felt extremely controlled and deliberate -- not how external more natural and random forces like high wind gusts or even the Bernoulli Effect with a semi that passes you at higher speed can sometimes do. In both of those latter cases, the feel on the wheel and vehicle I'm in, is more like some external random force is at work -- sometimes a build-up/down of power, or short and longer bursts -- not something that is immediate and sustained, which felt exactly like HAL or Skynet has taken over with intent, as I've encountered with "8.0 truck lust" a few times this past week. Don't get me wrong -- I'm not saying Tesla did something malicious or deliberately bad with 8.0, only that the resultant way my MS has behaved a few times appeared much more precise than what Mother Nature can generally do on it's own. Despite other's well-meant supposition, I remain convinced there is an Autosteer programming bug related to "truck lust" that is more pervasive in 8.0 than it may have been previously.

BTW on the anecdotal front: As I said upstream, my MS has been in for annual service since Tuesday morning, and has been parked in the same spot outside the SvC since waiting to be worked on. Tuesday night I received a firmware update ready for installation notice, but it was not installed. Last night, another firmware update became ready for installation. IDK what either entail, but as I've said to a couple of folks privately, somethings afoot.

Reactions: msnow