Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For all those posting in this thread about software version numbers, etc., I highly recommend Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App.

ev-fw was a lot more useful when there were indications of what was the key deliverable in each release. Now, we just see a string of 8.0 releases with no indication of the significance of each, even when something momentous, like the auto-headlight, etc. functions added to AP2 cars.

I just downloaded firmware version 8.2.50.114. I'll post some pictures of the release notes later. One big improvement is the ability to tie the fobs to the driver profiles. I'll test this more later, but I wanted to get this post up.

I believe I am the first to post in this thread about the update, so I'd like to name this version "Fob-o-licious!"

Edit:

Below is a photo of the release notes.

I tested the driver profile selection by key fob, and it worked well. I had posted in another thread that I was concerned that the driver's seat steering wheel, etc. might adjust every time a different fob was near the car. I said that I hoped Tesla would have the adjustments take place only when the driver's door is opened, and as it turns out, that is exactly what they have done!

Well-done, Tesla! This is a very welcome improvement, and one that many people have been requesting for a long time. It's great to see Tesla listen to what their customers want, and provide it!

Update Notes.jpg

Last edited:
Does the idle fee show up for "mostly empty" supercharger locations?

Someone else can say more definitively, but I'm going to guess yes. The supercharger I showed in my picture had the note, and unless something has drastically changed, that Supercharger is not a busy one. It has eight charging spots (I believe) and the couple of times I've been there have been six to eight open spots the entire time.

• Informative
Reactions: kavyboy
Can you also post a screenshot of the key fob profile settings screen?

I'll see if I can capture something shortly, but it's basically shown in the release notes.

Connecting my fob to my profile couldn't have been easier. I accessed the driver profile settings, and the only fob available to connect to a profile was the one in the car with me, which I learned was named "Fob 2", or something along those lines. (Apparently my wife has Fob 1. :) ) I simply selected my profile, and then selected "Tie this profile to Fob 2", or something along those lines.

I tested whether or not it worked, and when the adjustment would take place, by getting out of the car, leaning in awkwardly, which has always been a pain in the butt, and selecting my wife's profile in the usual way, from the screen. I then closed the door, locked the car, and walked away. When I approached the car, the handles presented, so my fob was recognized. The seat and steering wheel did not adjust to my profile settings until I opened the door, which is exactly as it should work, since those adjustments should not happen any time a different fob is near the car.

I have to give credit where it is due, and Tesla got this right! I'll say it again--well done, Tesla!

I'll see if I can capture something shortly, but it's basically shown in the release notes.

Connecting my fob to my profile couldn't have been easier. I accessed the driver profile settings, and the only fob available to connect to a profile was the one in the car with me, which I learned was named "Fob 2", or something along those lines. (Apparently my wife has Fob 1. :) ) I simply selected my profile, and then selected "Tie this profile to Fob 2", or something along those lines.

I tested whether or not it worked, and when the adjustment would take place, by getting out of the car, leaning in awkwardly, which has always been a pain in the butt, and selecting my wife's profile in the usual way, from the screen. I then closed the door, locked the car, and walked away. When I approached the car, the handles presented, so my fob was recognized. The seat and steering wheel did not adjust to my profile settings until I opened the door, which is exactly as it should work, since those adjustments should not happen any time a different fob is near the car.

I have to give credit where it is due, and Tesla got this right! I'll say it again--well done, Tesla!
...but does the steering wheel retract and seat automatically go back upon turning off the vehicle in preparation for driver exit ...then make the profile changes when you turn the vehicle on, like my former Lexus, MBZ and BMWs all did? That combination makes it easy to get in/out and have our luxury vehicle also automatically set driver items based on sensing the fob catching-up with what the competition has done for years. If Tesla also does that with this point update, I'll also say they got it right. ;)

(I frankly won't use the profile settings if the MS makes the changes before I get into the vehicle. With the contorted positioning I need to have the steering wheel and seat to see some of the top part of the IC, the automatic movement will only work for me if it happens after I get in. I'll have to keep using my manual 2-profile process until perhaps another enhancement is made with FOBs and Profiles.)

Someone else can say more definitively, but I'm going to guess yes. The supercharger I showed in my picture had the note, and unless something has drastically changed, that Supercharger is not a busy one. It has eight charging spots (I believe) and the couple of times I've been there have been six to eight open spots the entire time.

I do not think you'll be able to use this as a "busy/non-busy" indicator. I think they simply are spelling it out there to clarify what the idle charges are and account for currency differences (different price in different countries). Nothing on the current app notification actually said how much it would be, only the blog post did.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
...but does the steering wheel retract and seat automatically go back upon turning off the vehicle in preparation for driver exit ...then make the profile changes when you turn the vehicle on, like my former Lexus, MBZ and BMWs all did?

Yes, right after you remove the key from the ignition! :)

Seriously, though, I'm not sure how Tesla could implement this, because what would they consider "turning the car off?"

That combination makes it easy to get in/out and have our luxury vehicle also automatically set driver items based on sensing the fob catching-up with what the competition has done for years. If Tesla also does that with this point update, I'll also say they got it right. ;)

I agree that what you propose would be better, but I'll take what I can get!

...Seriously, though, I'm not sure how Tesla could implement this, because what would they consider "turning the car off?"...
Park. I bet most owners would take the benefits over the perhaps slight inconvenience of having the seat/steering wheel move out of the way if say you parked, but were going to remain in the vehicle for some amount of time. IMHO, the vehicle giving me more space would be a benefit in that example if I were going to play with my phone, tablet or just take a quick nap waiting for my charge to complete or someone else to return from running an errand.

My former Lexus e.g. even provided two user-customizable options to move the seat and/or move the steering wheel out of the way as part of their "EZ Access" functionality. ;) I, e.g. had the steering wheel move, but not the seat ... because it allowed my dog who rode with me much of the time in her backseat more room to enter/exit if I didn't move the seat. ;)

It just seems Tesla eventually makes a good try at some of these functions, but doesn't go as far as they really could to both catch-up and where possible, exceed functionality that other mfgrs have provided for years. It isn't like Tesla has to think up the functions on their own, as they can easily examine how other competitors are already doing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andyw2100
Park. I bet most owners would take the benefits over the perhaps slight inconvenience of having the seat/steering wheel move out of the way if say you parked, but were going to remain in the vehicle for some amount of time. IMHO, the vehicle giving me more space would be a benefit in that example if I were going to play with my phone, tablet or just take a quick nap waiting for my charge to complete or someone else to return from running an errand.

Yes, that could work.

And there could, of course, be options with respect to how we want the adjustments to be made. So people who don't want adjustments could easily not have adjustments.

I wonder if one issue preventing Tesla from providing this additional functionality has to do with wear and tear on the parts.

Reactions: wesley888
Since the software only changes profiles when the door is opened, they could implement an exit profile very easy.
First software recognizes if there is a profile named "Exit".
If driver is in the driver's seat (sensor is there) and car is put into park and driver's door opens, revert to Exit profile.