Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I tried changing the label of the flash drive, I've made an MP3 and FLAC folder to dump in the appropriate folders whereas it used to be all in the root. When I picked a song, it didn't have cover art. So then I selected by album and saw some albums had cover art. Dusted off TagScanner and updated to newest version and edited the files. I found out that the albums that worked had cover art imbedded into the file. So now I'm TagScanning the ones that didn't have cover art and that's most of the files I have on there. I guess the advantage of this is you won't have mislabeled cover art like people have complained about in the past.
The only way to know for sure if it's picking up your embedded cover art would be to embed some cover art that you've added yourself and marked in some way (like a picture of your dog, or something that only you would have.) People have thought the media player was reading cover art before, but it always turned out to be fetching it from the Gracenote servers.

I sure hope you are right, though!

So as long as you "reset" and hold the wheel if you hear the first warning double beep, you can let go again. Seems like you can repeat that unlimited number of times. Someone needs to test :)
We can't really tell from that video if this is the case. I really hope what your'e saying is true though. I think it should at least allow AP to stay on if you respond to the first warning quickly.

Looks like your lane changes might have counted as driver input here. As long as you were continuing to use the turn signal every so often, you didn't get a nag.

Elon was quoted as saying that if the driver "ignores the audible alarm more than 3 times in an hour, the driver will have to park the car and restart it in order to enable Autosteer." So I wonder: even if you take control before the 3rd sequence of beeps, do you already have 2 strikes, and will you lose Autopilot if the next nag occurs within the next hour and only gets to 1 beep?

We can't really tell from that video if this is the case. I really hope what your'e saying is true though. I think it should at least allow AP to stay on if you respond to the first warning quickly.

It resets as long as you take control of the wheel before the 3rd set of beeps, I tested it before I shot the video and each instance where you grab the wheel counts as a RESET to the counter so its really the continuous ignoring of the signals to get to the 3 beeps that gets you a disabled AP. Happy for someone else to try and confirm on their end.

It resets as long as you take control of the wheel before the 3rd set of beeps, I tested it before I shot the video and each instance where you grab the wheel counts as a RESET to the counter so its really the continuous ignoring of the signals to get to the 3 beeps that gets you a disabled AP. Happy for someone else to try and confirm on their end.

Excellent, thanks for confirming that.

That's encouraging to hear. Thanks!

That isn't how someone else reports it: they said that the strikes counted up even between AP activations during his drive. So ignoring all three beep levels at once strikes you out, but so does getting three level 1 beeps in an hour. (Or is it three level 2 beeps.) The post is here and the quote is "Worth noting that although the 3 strikes were within an hour, they were not all within the same AP session (In case you were hoping this could be a way out of it). Due to my route I had to cancel it after the first strike, and then resume it and got the second and third strike." And he said "As soon as I heard the first chime I put my hand on the wheel." So that is three level 1 beeps and your out.

But it sounds like if you respond to the flashing border you are fine and keeping going forever.

The only way to know for sure if it's picking up your embedded cover art would be to embed some cover art that you've added yourself and marked in some way (like a picture of your dog, or something that only you would have.) People have thought the media player was reading cover art before, but it always turned out to be fetching it from the Gracenote servers.

I sure hope you are right, though!
I thought of that and am going to try it on an existing album that has art embedded already and change one song that I will end up deleting the song since I don't like it. So if it displays different cover art it's confirmed.

Don't worry about the nag things. Just drive with AP with your hand on the wheel, respond to the warnings, and everything works great. You can get and respond to warnings repeatedly forever. You will never notice a difference unless you *ignore* warnings.
Apparently ignore warnings means that you triggered audible warnings. As that is really frequent with 7.1, it is only increased visibility of non-audible warnings that makes 8.0 tolerable.

Calling this "ignore" warnings is a (?deliberate) mis-characterization. We have not been "ignoring" non-audible warnings in 7.0! Most of us have been watching the road, not the driver display. (Which is a low-contrast display, hard to see ever since 7.0, but that is another story.).

Posted a new video to show the an instance of what the nag interval could be, also what happens when you ignore the BEEPS.
You need to redo that test I'm almost certain it didn't take 4.5min before I got my first Hold Steering Wheel. I believe when you used your change lane indicators it may have reset some type of timer. From what I saw from the last time you signaled a lane change was around 1.5min into the timer so it's closer to 3min. Even then I'm not sure if things change due to using the turn signals. When you got your first warning it had the message and the flashing. When I drove today I get the warning then if you ignore that it starts to flash. That's as far as I went into the experiment.

My iPhone got notified by the Tesla App that an update was available at 2:22am this morning. Seeing that I got the security update earlier in the week, this had to be the much awaited for V 8.0 update. I noticed this notification while on that middle of the night visit to the bathroom. I know, TMI (too much information)

I have no idea why I received this update so early. I can tell you I am using WiFi connectivity (from my home) in the car. But that is all I can think of which might make the difference. But I have read many here who also have WiFi with no success. I feel your pain. I'm a retired guy but heck, I get excited too about these updates too. So, at 6:15am I put on some pants and shoes and started the installation. The Tesla app indicated the installation was done at 7:45am. But this guy went to bed at 1am so I went back to bed. I didn't get up until 9am or so.

So, of course, I had to try this out. In fact, I spent many many hours looking at the nice tiles in the media player and looked all around trying to see what else was changed. But to me the real meat and potatoes was in the driving. The TACC and Auto Pilot (Auto Steering) portion of the experience. So, off I go and went directly to the freeway. On the way there, I noticed that the braking for cars at stop llights had improved. It started earlier and was more gentle. No sudden stomp on the breaks. My wife would truly appreciate that one. Heck, so did I.

Once on the freeway, I felt like the AutoPilot was doing less fishing left and right. It was in a word, smoother. Ok, check that one off. It went from lane to lane like it did before. No change on that front. But then it seemed appropriate to try the exit the freeway by use of the blinker control. (Is that only a midwestern term?) Dang!!! I tried that 5 times with it only working properly once. You recall that if you change lanes sometimes it takes its good old natured time sometimes to do a lane change. Well, that is NOT predicable. Hence the same thing appears to occur if you use the blinker control when you want to exit the freeway. Four out five times (for me) it would not take the exit. Once it did, and it did take a bit of time for it to accomplish that trick. Good thing that particular exit was a LONG one.

But here is something that I noticed when I finally did exit the freeway under AutoPilot. The Tesla did NOT slow down at all. It was still going at warp speed (70mph) on that off ramp. What? How useful is that? If you are exiting the freeway or just exiting to go on a different freeway, wouldn't you typically slow down? But it then would be argued, well disengage AutoPilot. Sure, but if the exercise is to exit then shouldn't it slow down by itself? Should we need to disengage? What good is it to disengage after the exit. Why not just disengage BEFORE the exit? Nothing is gained.

Next thing I noticed was the experience of the NAG. Now this should get your attention. First, the message says to hold on to your wheel and a few seconds later the entire perimeter of the dash screen is now a half inch or so of WHITE. That got my attention. I tried it two different ways. First, I hung my left hand on the left side of the steering wheel and left it there while the AutoPilot dragged my hand along while it steered. That resulted in NO NAGS for twenty minutes straight. Second, I put my hands on my lap and waited for a message/White attention getter. That took only a minute and a half before i got NAGed. It averaged "about" every 3 minutes after that. Your NAG mileage may differ.

Next, the Navigation screen. Tesla appears to want you to have the map on the top half of the screen whether or not it is full sized or not. But in either case, after a few seconds of no touching the map the row of icons at the top will disappear with the map sliding up over them. I suspect to give you the most map for the buck. If you want them back, just touch the screen and they magically re-appear. Speaking of magic, there is a button which allows you to orient the map either True North or to the direction of your travel. But what changed is if you have it in the direction of travel, it acts like a nice little compass. You have to see it to believe it. I've never seen anything like that before. Very useful and it doesn't take much real estate of the map. The other buttons are all there too like before but they dissolve away until you click on the screen when they re-appear too.

I know, I know....... way tooo long. So, I will leave it here. Hope you found it informative and hope you get your update soon. I am grateful I did. So that's my excuse for this long one. :)

Cheers

Nice rundown of the update. I just want to note that I believe Elon said that freeway exit functionality would be enabled in 8.1, so it shouldn't be active yet which would explain why you couldn't use it.