Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think there is an important consideration from Elon and Tesla's perspective. They have made commitments to Wall Street on volumes that will be sold this year and (at least some in the press say) they need cash. As such, there is a balancing act Elon must do in preannouncements that would cause people to delay a purchase because of something that won't be available for say months from now. Look at the 2-year lease program... It's certainly in place only to drive purchases now, help cash flow, but allow owners that really want a M3 to be able to get one when they become (well, at least announced to be) available.

As such, I'll be very surprised if Elon preannounces anything related to new hardware unless it's available almost immediately, or there is an upgrade path (doubtful) for say refresh models or models purchased now to get the new sensor/camera array at a later date so people will keep buying New cars NOW. Firmware is a whole other thing... Elon loves to preannounce and tease with future concepts, but I expect anything that may require new/updated hardware to be tied to the timing discussed above on its availability.

Agree with some views here in that no way will Elon discuss a time or new release of hardware today. Just isn't likely as that would really hurt sales this year, and they need every single sale & delivery they can get, especially on his last post to become potentially cash positive (high hopes also).

Today may touch on future autonomy hardware they are working on with no specific dates, just "ahead". I think they will hype up existing hardware again and how great it is. Justify the increased price somewhat as well.

Today will be about overall 8.0 software; new look, Spotify addition likely, new look/feel, better AP display of cars around your car, and perhaps a surprise or two with other items.

-T

Reactions: number12
I don't have a horse in this race, I don't have AP nor do I want it -- until there are dedicated "AP ONLY" lanes on the highway and the human factor is completely eliminated from driving. As long as there are completely unpredictable human drivers sharing the same roads, I don't care if it's AP2.0, 4.0 or 10.0, I don't think we'll ever reach "true autonomy" until there are zero humans on the road (or they are segregated to the "meat lanes".)

But I'm not clear on the desire to maximize resale value today (or whenever the next AP hardware is announced). In three or four years, it will be AP version X.y, and the resale value then of AP 1.0,1.5, or even 2.0 will be marginal, at best.

Reactions: PaulusdB and msnow
I think there is an important consideration from Elon and Tesla's perspective. They have made commitments to Wall Street on volumes that will be sold this year and (at least some in the press say) they need cash. As such, there is a balancing act Elon must do in preannouncements that would cause people to delay a purchase because of something that won't be available for say months from now. Look at the 2-year lease program... It's certainly in place only to drive purchases now, help cash flow, but allow owners that really want a M3 to be able to get one when they become (well, at least announced to be) available.

As such, I'll be very surprised if Elon preannounces anything related to new hardware unless it's available almost immediately, or there is an upgrade path (doubtful) for say refresh models or models purchased now to get the new sensor/camera array at a later date so people will keep buying New cars NOW. Firmware is a whole other thing... Elon loves to preannounce and tease with future concepts, but I expect anything that may require new/updated hardware to be tied to the timing discussed above on its availability.

Completely agreed. I would also add, if there is a new hardware based announcement, it will also likely ruin chances of selling inventory models. That's a path they seem to be aggressively pushing to increase sales this quarter, and I'd be surprised if they would announce anything right now that goes against that campaign.

Completely agreed. I would also add, if there is a new hardware based announcement, it will also likely ruin chances of selling inventory models. That's a path they seem to be aggressively pushing to increase sales this quarter, and I'd be surprised if they would announce anything right now that goes against that campaign.

I totally disagree. A new announcement would mean discounts on current inventory. Most other manufacturers would offer discounts on inventory vehicles after a refresh. Elon releases when products are ready, I don't think he thinks in these terms.

I'm sorry to say this, but that would require for there to be an organized communication strategy within the organization. As we all know, such a strategy is non-existent.
While I generally agree with you, we know that with the recent P100D announcement, the inventory and CPO models dropped in price immediately prior to the press conference. So that suggests maybe they're getting better at that coordination thing.

Reactions: Intl Professor
22 minutes until we learn Elon and his team are still working on something else and will be joining us "very soon."

Then 30 minutes of cool hold music if you are on a call/in a room or random idle chatter on a live blog. :)
Actually, the blog post should be up in 14 minutes, and then the articles will start to pop up.

I don't think this will change, given that the press has almost certainly already been given the relevant information.

• Disagree
Reactions: BartJ