Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went by my SvC after lunch, sat there for 5 or 10 minutes for good measure, tethered to wifi from my phone the whole time. Based off the traffic it looks like 30 minutes later, nothing's happened yet.

Doesn't seem like geofencing worked for me either. I am going to keep my car tethered to wifi but so far no luck :)

So I went by my SvC after lunch, sat there for 5 or 10 minutes for good measure, tethered to wifi from my phone the whole time. Based off the traffic it looks like 30 minutes later, nothing's happened yet.

Doesn't seem like geofencing worked for me either. I am going to keep my car tethered to wifi but so far no luck :)

I thought in the SC cases you actually needed to connect to the "Tesla Service" SSID wifi network that is common.

I thought in the SC cases you actually needed to connect to the "Tesla Service" SSID wifi network that is common.
I've gotten the update before without connecting to wifi at the SC. I think ingenner said you just have to pull up to the SC and that will ping Tesla. I can connect to tesla guest with the password (abcd123456) by the way, that's the universal password for all tesla guest sc's. I'm never able to connect to tesla service.

• Informative
Reactions: SUN-day Driver
My only gripe so far is they removed the ability to choose what you right scroll wheel does. I had it set to change the media. I would use it constantly to switch between XM, TuneIn, and Slacker. Now I have no ability to do that from the steering wheel. Scrolling the right wheel only allows you to switch between sunroof, temperature.

Argh. I hate it when companies "fix" things that aren't broken. I also used it to switch media - every time I get in the car, I roll it all the way down to select my iPhone even though that was the last audio source I was using when I got out of the car. I've used the right roller for screen brightness and HVAC fan speed. I've never used it for temperature (that's an always available button on the touch screen so it's not worth the trouble), and I only used it once or twice for the sunroof. If sunroof and temp are the only allowed choices in 8.0, I guess I'll leave it on sunroof as that will be quicker than the multiple touches it takes to access and then change on the touchscreen. But, it will suck to ensure the music app is open on the center screen every time I get in the car just so I can select my iPhone as source.

Companies should understand that taking away features is going to annoy customers. What possible harm is there in keeping the larger set of functions as in 7.1?

No. No need to connect to WiFi. It's a geofence.

Since it's now a tradition to hijack every firmware thread with geofence discussions…. What's your thoughts on the wifi vs cellular update preference mechanism? It seems hard to doubt that most of the initial upgrades offered were over wifi. Does the car send a request to the mothership that indicates what kind of network it's on? Or is the reply also carrying a preference for wifi vs cellular?

I'm wondering if tethering my car to a t-mo phone is enough to fool the system into thinking I'm on wifi. I do have a couple Ruckus PtMP wifi bridges that I could use to bring actually wifi to my parking garage, but I don't want my whole apartment complex to know I'm a dork :D

Reactions: BrandonR22
EDIT - I'm not a pessimist at all, but is this release truly considered a "serious upgrade". Seems like lots of tweaks, fixes and a couple of cow bells and dog whistles. I need to reset my hype meter.

I think it's a hard update to judge for two reasons.

The first reason is a lot of it is the under the hood. Where there have been massive improvement to AEB, and to how the AP can now account for the car ahead of the car in front of you.

The second reason is it appears a bit unfinished. Where there is a lot of talk about this is what 8.1 will bring. So it feels like there was so much stuff that they split it into two parts.

Personally I'm of the belief that it's a massive update. You probably won't really realize the significance of it for a couple weeks with it.

Reactions: NikeWings
i was just going to ask if there was a model x but i guess there no love for the X
Model X is great in my book.

I believe the primary challenge is TMC has elected to organize most forums separated along model lines, without common forums for topics that cross models, like firmware, body shops/service/general repair, auto detailing, etc. which other car forums I'm familiar with tend to do. As such, this thread is in the MS forum where primarily MS owners hang-out, and most of us reading and responding just assume the discussion is MS-centric. I know it's hard to see this is a MS thread unless you look just below the header of the page. IDK if perhaps there may be a parallel thread over in the MX forums. From my POV, all are welcome here and everywhere, but I suspect that's why folks may not sometimes perceive as much love as there could be in some of the threads outside the model they focus on.

Model X is great in my book.

I believe the primary challenge is TMC has elected to organize most forums separated along model lines, without common forums for topics that cross models, like firmware, body shops/service/general repair, auto detailing, etc. which other car forums I'm familiar with tend to do. As such, this thread is in the MS forum where primarily MS owners hang-out, and most of us reading and responding just assume the discussion is MS-centric. I know it's hard to see this is a MS thread unless you look just below the header of the page. IDK if perhaps there may be a parallel thread over in the MX forums. From my POV, all are welcome here and everywhere, but I suspect that's why folks may not sometimes perceive as much love as there could be in some of the threads outside the model they focus on.

I think he meant that Tesla hadn't chosen to give the update to any Xs yet, which unfortunately appears to be true so far. Not anything about the forum opinions on the car.

Eh...waar zag je dat ? Dat zou echt een heeeele verbetering zijn maar heb daar dan overheen gelezen.

Hier:

Trip Planner
Trip Planner provides a clear overview of your journey before you leave, with maps that zoom out to show your entire route. Putting your Tesla into Drive automatically starts navigation to your first waypoint.

So I got ahold of the release. Quite a few changes from the Beta. It also looks like they halted the roll out. It appears that any cars with it already staged have had it yanked off.

Maybe there's a problem?

Wait, what? My car had the update staged this morning (well, it had SOMETHING staged this morning, and I already had 7.1(2.36.31) installed, so it seemed likely that 8.0 is what's staged today) but I was planning on waiting until I get home from work to install it. Now I need to go down to the parking garage and see if the alarm clock is still there....

Since it's now a tradition to hijack every firmware thread with geofence discussions…. What's your thoughts on the wifi vs cellular update preference mechanism? It seems hard to doubt that most of the initial upgrades offered were over wifi. Does the car send a request to the mothership that indicates what kind of network it's on? Or is the reply also carrying a preference for wifi vs cellular?

I'm wondering if tethering my car to a t-mo phone is enough to fool the system into thinking I'm on wifi. I do have a couple Ruckus PtMP wifi bridges that I could use to bring actually wifi to my parking garage, but I don't want my whole apartment complex to know I'm a dork :D
So what happens is they will usually delay your D/L until you are on WiFi. If you don't get on WiFi, it eventually downloads on cell. The timeout is usually 72 hours.

So I got ahold of the release. Quite a few changes from the Beta. It also looks like they halted the roll out. It appears that any cars with it already staged have had it yanked off.

Maybe there's a problem?

Damn......its those "small regressions" acting up. :rolleyes:

"V8.0 starts downloading tonight. Release will be gradual to make sure there aren't small regressions. Many car configs, many environments."