Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok here is a question for all who have upgraded to 8.0

Does the upgrade maintain your favorites, driver profiles, networks, and other setting choices from your last 7.1?

If not, what should we check?

It keeps favorites, driver profiles, etc. But you need to go to settings to turn on Auto Lane Change, and a couple other items in Driver Assist tab which reverted to off during the reboot.

Noob question: When the car is ready for an update will it push to the smartphone app too? I've not seen that with the two minor updates since I got the car.
It should, if you have everything configured correctly. I just wrote this post less than 24 hours ago for another person: Firmware 8.0 (post #1499)

Perform those steps and if you still don't get any notification, assuming your basic Tesla App functions with your MS, try deleting the app from your phone, adding it back and reconfiguring. Good luck.

Got the update this morning at home in my Model S 60, which we purchased one week ago. Too new to complain, still adjusting to driving in the future.

But I do have a question as on MY Tesla, on the web site, the notes are still for 7.1. I assumed they would update to 8.0 once installed. Of course, in the car, the notes are updated for 8.0. Is it normal for the My Tesla to update the notes at a later time?

I'm trying hard to not form my own opinion of 8.0 until I can use it myself. Even with well meaning posters, IMHO there are many things which are subjective -- especially when it comes to human interfaces, and honestly each of us have different features or expectations that are important or bug us more than others. Such is ergonomics and dealing with a growing populous of owners and prospective buyers, and top that off with most of us being outspoken enthusiasts, many who have owned other EV and non-EV luxury vehicles.

...all that to say, I think most of us know by now that Elon is a master of creating excitement and use of media. Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate getting effectively a new car with new functionality for free like we will soon have with 8.0. THAT Is fabulous. My concern remains sort of along the lines of your comment "tweaks, fixes and a couple of cowbells and dog whistles", that Elon and Tesla have delivered another step of AP enhancements as we expect will keep coming towards THE vision, but many of the other changes are based on their perception of what customers want or need, vs. the reality of what customers are truly asking for, and in some cases what the competition already delivers. E.g. I've not yet correlated the top recommendations from the nearly 300 TMC members requirements prioritization work we did last Fall and was delivered to a secret connected executive somewhere inside of Tesla, or against the list of missing Infotainment functions in comparative luxury vehicles I put together earlier this year. My first impression from release notes, and posts from the few that have the new drop is any correlation is coincidence. The best example remains with the #1 requested feature: "Where are Waypoints?" ...but once I get 8.0 and have some time with it, watch out, another of my long bulletized posts will be on the way when I've spent some time correlating facts and putting my thoughts together. ;). Hopefully I get 8.0 before I leave for my short road trip next week!

Bert, We trust you, but just make sure to use bullet points.
Seriously, as you indicated, any correlation between customer requests and what they give looks purely incidental. I am thankful for whatever I get, but this is all about AP. Perhaps if I weren't driving a Classic, I'd be more excited, but again, so many easy fix requests, almost none of which have been granted. Like with 7.0, when they gave us auto garage open, they gave us a couple of nice features in 8.0, but not the big ones, apparently.
I can't wait until we know more about the Bolt.

Reactions: BertL
Did anyone have any luck yet triggering the download at a geofenced location?
I went by my SvC today to get tires checked because alert keeps coming on for front left and asked if they could also push the update. They claimed they could only push incrementals and not new versions. I do not know if that's true, but I am still waiting for the update as I, also, have been traveling and off wifi this week. Sigh. C'mon, Santa Elon, hit me up! Pretty please...

• Funny
Reactions: msnow
Nope. Tomorrow I guess.

I mean, the improved AP sounds like it's worth the price of admission even considering. But good lord, just remove the USB player altogether if you're going to neglect it so egregiously. :-(
As Apple just did with earphone jack; and before with floppy disk; and optical disk...Trust the mothership, they know what we need before we do!

Reactions: Nevek
Anybody else finding USB audio doesn't work AT ALL? My USB stick that used to work fine got read (insofar as the counter eventually got up to 100%) but the display subsequently sits at "MUSIC Starting..." for hours -- including through a reboot. And a USB stick remove/insert.

I didn't think they could make it worse. Never say never.

Mine was working great this evening.

Got the update this morning at home in my Model S 60, which we purchased one week ago. Too new to complain, still adjusting to driving in the future.

But I do have a question as on MY Tesla, on the web site, the notes are still for 7.1. I assumed they would update to 8.0 once installed. Of course, in the car, the notes are updated for 8.0. Is it normal for the My Tesla to update the notes at a later time?
This is a good question, when 7 came out, the manual on My Tesla website appeared a few weeks later as I recall. So for now, you have the release notes. And of course the older manuals. BTW, was the manual on the S updated to the 8.0 version?

Have to say, AP seems dramatically better. Smoother stopping and starting in traffic, much more natural lane changes and better lane keeping. A truck got too close to my lane and it adjusted as well. Really noticeable for me at least.

I confused it once on purpose and saw the red hands on wheel warning to take over - which I had never seen before.

Excellent upgrade on my car. Awesome!

I haven't noticed any mention of improvements to the browser in version 8. Has anyone with the new version noticed any changes to the browser?

The browser still seems slow to me.

I won't get a good long stretch w AP until the weekend, but I'll try to trigger the pulsing white 3 times and see if it locks me out. As far as I'm concerned, if you escalate past pulses three times, you deserve to have AP turned off. But three first-warnings would be way too early.

You need to find a place for the range extender to have a *strong* connection to your router and "good enough" connection to your car so placing it 10' from your car isn't going to help unless you have that balance. Are you sure you have the security setup right?

The range extender I had in the garage was approximately 10ft below the router in my attic storage room.

The car sees the network it is just refusing to connect. So I'm suspicious that you are right about security. I have a WPA2 password which is not complicated (probably should beef it up). When I enter the password the car thinks about it for a minute and then fails to connect. It isn't the end of the world as I can connect to a faster internet at work. Someday I'll get bored with driving my MS all my waking hours and work on my home network (now if I couldn't stream Netflix and Hulu I'd fix it immediately;)).

Reactions: msnow and JenniferQ
I read it was on the car.
:D Probably. They have been in the past.

Not directed at you, just to the stratosphere to make me feel better after my first glass of wine tonight:
I for one, don't live in my beloved MS or would find my next gen seats comfortable enough to read 150+ pages of documentation while I sit in the cabin all alone. I appreciate the paperless society approach making the manual available onboard, but for me, it's only usable there in an emergency or if I am really bored waiting for an appointment. Making the PDF available at the beginning of deployment so owners can read it in the comfort of our homes or via our smartphone/tablet would be appreciated by many, and for those of us that are anxious and comfortable doing a bit of research, we could be prepared and better understand the gift we'll be receiving one day so we get a good start with it. Ah, sorry, there I go again trying to take a Customer POV first. I really need to get over that! ;)

I suspect there will be arguments on both sides about whether or not this was an improvement, but for me personally this is an improvement. There have been too many times that I was "surprised" at the speed the car started going when I disengaged AP.

I don't think anyone will argue that fixing that seriously dangerous bug isn't an improvement. Glad they finally took care of it.

Reactions: JenniferQ