Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posted a new video to show the an instance of what the nag interval could be, also what happens when you ignore the BEEPS.

BLKTSLA, first off, thank YOU for joining TMC and posting at least two of the most informative and well done videos on 8.0!
Well done. Keep up the great work and have as much fun producing the videos as I have in watching them.
Bravo.

Is there any definitive knowledge about the AP tiles to know whether or not they get stored locally, and how much local store it has. I thought they got cached on the SD card.

I can't imagine the AEB white list would be anywhere close to the size of the AP tiles. The AEB white list is only very specific situations where there is a dip/corner in a roar in front of a sign. Where the radar can get fooled since it's not good with the exact spot.
"Definitive knowledge"? Probably wishful thinking how the firmware internally operates unless one is a Tesla engineer. Our couple of resident bench testers may have an idea, but even for them, I doubt they can say for a fact without being able to read code or see firmware design specs. You'll get plenty of speculation though!

Regarding nags, the behavior was described very clearly from the beginning:

You are welcome to get as many "non-audible" nags (level 1) as you want. As long as you address them before they transition to level 2 (audible), it's like they never happened at all.

It's only if 3 audible level 2 warnings occur in an hour that AP will be disabled.

I don't have 8.0 yet, but how do you guys think these obvious issues are getting past Tesla? Elon said there are about 1000 owners in the EAP program, and that Tesla works closely with them prior to the release.

Either:

1. The EAP drivers are telling Tesla about the lack of USB searching or jumping to a letter and Tesla's ignoring them, or

2. The EAP people aren't bringing these things up.

I'm sure there are some EAP lurkers here who'd love to comment but can't...
While the zealots will take exception with my POV, it appears Tesla has been lax focusing on functionality beyond perhaps AP with any rigor, AND/OR Elon has elected to do this very slow roll-out of 8.0 with the fleet performing even more of the real-world testing one would expect any EAP to have accomplished. In either case perhaps he felt the need to get the AP changes out faster, or was pressured to get the new radar-biased code into the fleet by NHTSA or his legal team sooner than later.

IMHO whatever is going on does not bode well for a top-notch engineering firm quality-wise. Tesla's selection of EAP testers should be extremely representative of the fleet, while feedback expectations and Tesla's analysis of that input, should cause even non-safety failures like missing USB song alpha-sort to be caught in advance of a deployment GO decision. For anyone that's run major rollouts or been responsible for significant business critical system migrations, it just looks sloppy, or that Elon/Tesla really does not care about anything except (his) visionary improvements -- I hope the latter is not the case.

Tesla no longer has just a few enthusiast vehicles in the fleet. To be successful with an exponentially growing fleet owned by the masses in the near term, Tesla can't rely on perhaps an older-style "put it out there and we'll rapidly fix the big problems" approach. While Elon and most of us are impatient to get things done, Tesla must become more disciplined when it comes to thorough testing, ensuring only quality code from top-to-bottom reaches the fleet.

Based on the number of reported 8.0 updates in Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

we have 71 cars updated with 8.0 or an estimate of 13% of the tracked fleet in ev-fw.

When the recent 7.1 patch was reported on ev.fw, 535 cars reported the update

So recently, the ev-fw fleet is 535 13% = 71 / 535

Still a LONG way to go. One of my buddies received the update last evening.

But I can see 976 différents cars reporting on 7.1 in the ev-fw base ;)

I'm still on 106 and haven't received the 108 follow up. :( Should I be concerned? When can I expect it?
Don't worry about it. You're only concerned because you happen to be an enthusiast reading forums like this and have seen there are different releases. If Tesla felt the new drop was THAT critical for your particular vehicle, it would have already been sent to you. Remember, there are many configurations of vehicles in the fleet, and not every firmware release is provided to every vehicle. Enjoy what you have (while some of us continue to wait!) :D

Reactions: fallen888