Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had mine for 2 yrs and found the nav has improved a lot since then. I rarely have issues with it. So not everyone is having a negative experience.

I had five primary issues with.

1 - The trip planner messed with it on occasion where it was stuck at the "finding superchargers for your route", and it would be stuck there pretty much indefinitely. The only way to get around it was to hit cancel, and then turn disable trip planner.

2 - The trip planner would direct you back to the supercharger you just came from even when you had plenty of energy to make it to your destination.

3 - The re-route if it saves more than X amount of time didn't work. Did anyone have it work? It seemed to redirect even if it was only a few minutes worth of savings no matter what setting I had it set to.

4 - There was no option to avoid tolls, ferries, etc.

5 - Lack of trust. It never proved itself worthy of trusting.

With 8.0 they fixed most of that supposedly. I haven't had a chance to really test it out yet though.

They also fixed something I personally hated and that's how the distance to the next turn was shown. for some reason it always confused me, but it seemed fine. Where I felt stupid every time I made the mistake.

The navigation in an electric car is absolutely one of the most critical elements of the car. It's not about simply working, but it needs to be absolutely the best. It needs to have deep integration with trip planning, and with autopilot. You can't just miss your exit in an electric car like you can with an ICE car especially when you have 30 miles left remaining and your exit is to a supercharger.

You should be able to select by time, distance, or energy usage.
You should be able to select alternative routes when you don't really care about the above.
You should be able to draw the way you want to go. Why not?
Estimated supercharger capacity and wait time needs to be included.
Wind/Temperature needs to be included
Information from Wave needs to be included.
It needs to warn autopilot that it's about to go from an average speed of 70mph to zero in the next half mile.
The thing should be able to redirect you around a closed road well before you come up to it. It's never done that for me once. In it's defense its something that just happened an hour or two before. But, that was still plenty of time for waze to know.

The problem is they have so many things that need to be done that I don't think they can fix the nav piecemeal. They have to pretty much rip out the entire thing, and replace it. With 8.1 I'm expecting a few more changes, but I can't see them really ever fixing nav on the current Model S in a way that would be really satisfying.

In summary I think they're doing what they can with what's there.

What I'm curious about is whether 8.1 AP will warn us a mile or two from our exit that we need to get over so it can take the exit it wants. If for some reason we haven't gotten over.

Quite possibly because the system doesn't detect bicycles and has never claimed to.

There is detection, and then there is representation.

The MobileEye system detects a lot that is not represented. The MobileEye system does detect Pedestrians and Cyclist, but the IC in the Tesla doesn't show them.

If you tried running over a pedestrian the FCW would go off, but you'd never see a representation of a pedestrian in the IC.

What's likely happening is the system is occasionally mis-identifying a cyclist as a biker. To a neural net they likely look very similar.

Reactions: newtman
Hey guys. Not sure if this was mentioned, but I connected my Samsung S6 to my Tesla. When I try to make a call, sound doesn't come through the speakers. When I make a call via voice command, I can see on my phone that it is connected via bluetooth, but no sound. Any idea why I can't hear anything?

I unpaired it and had the device removed from the car and re-paired and still having the same issue. Thanks

While the zealots will take exception with my POV, it appears Tesla has been lax focusing on functionality beyond perhaps AP with any rigor, AND/OR Elon has elected to do this very slow roll-out of 8.0 with the fleet performing even more of the real-world testing one would expect any EAP to have accomplished. In either case perhaps he felt the need to get the AP changes out faster, or was pressured to get the new radar-biased code into the fleet by NHTSA or his legal team sooner than later.

IMHO whatever is going on does not bode well for a top-notch engineering firm quality-wise. Tesla's selection of EAP testers should be extremely representative of the fleet, while feedback expectations and Tesla's analysis of that input, should cause even non-safety failures like missing USB song alpha-sort to be caught in advance of a deployment GO decision. For anyone that's run major rollouts or been responsible for significant business critical system migrations, it just looks sloppy, or that Elon/Tesla really does not care about anything except (his) visionary improvements -- I hope the latter is not the case.

Tesla no longer has just a few enthusiast vehicles in the fleet. To be successful with an exponentially growing fleet owned by the masses in the near term, Tesla can't rely on perhaps an older-style "put it out there and we'll rapidly fix the big problems" approach. While Elon and most of us are impatient to get things done, Tesla must become more disciplined when it comes to thorough testing, ensuring only quality code from top-to-bottom reaches the fleet.
The catch with beta testing is it often fails to test the actual installation process. The beta testers would have been installed a while back, and then periodically upgraded on their own isolated stream.
From reading Ingineers log analysis it seems the only problem was package installation of a subset of the packages.
I'm confident that the actual content of the code is solid.

Anyone figure out how to put the MS into camper mode? Heard it was a V8.0 feature but don't see anything..

No, 8.0 just has a feature to keep it below 105 degrees for 12 hours after you leave the car. It is enabled by default, but can be turned off.

Elon said that in 8.1 you will be able to set a min and max temperature for it to keep the car at, which would be the "camper mode" you want. (Or at least close to it.)

I'd really like it to have phone integration as well, not having that puts them behind almost every other manufacturer at any price point. Having said that, I agree that Bluetooth sounds decent, but a direct connection would be noticeably better. I'm not going to load up a USB stick with music, so it just means that I'll never really get a high quality source for that extra $2,500 option.
Just FYI, the MP3 codec has been supported natively by Bluetooth for a while now, so there is no loss at all. The audio system receives the same stream of 0s and 1s as if it were a wired connected or USB.
Note: other formats such as flac or wma will continue to be compressed over Bluetooth, so do benefit from hard wired connection.

The catch with beta testing is it often fails to test the actual installation process. The beta testers would have been installed a while back, and then periodically upgraded on their own isolated stream.
From reading Ingineers log analysis it seems the only problem was package installation of a subset of the packages.
I'm confident that the actual content of the code is solid.
Understood but that doesn't explain what we are hearing about USB. If it's that obvious then it should have been identified.

Just FYI, the MP3 codec has been supported natively by Bluetooth for a while now, so there is no loss at all. The audio system receives the same stream of 0s and 1s as if it were a wired connected or USB.
Note: other formats such as flac or wma will continue to be compressed over Bluetooth, so do benefit from hard wired connection.
I didnt know that. I had always thought that hard wired was preferable to BT.

Couple things I noticed on 8.0 today that I don't think have been talked about yet.
- Radar seeing the two cars ahead seems to work really well. The car visual reflects the position and distance of the car pretty accurately and it seems to see the car even if it's quite a distance from the car in front of you.
- Tested whether the cid stays on for the passenger when the driver exits and closes the door. It does stay on, but my wife's key fob was still in the car so not sure if it would stay on without a key. I don't recall if 7.1 stayed on with a key still inside the car either.

Installed 8.0 today, and though the new autopilot is all that and a bag of chips, I do have a few gripes. I'm going to list them here, in case Elon is paying attention, or in case anyone has any good workarounds...

1). Trip planner shows estimated battery remaining after a round trip, but doesn't route you through superchargers for a round trip
2) No waypoints
3). Trip planner plotted a ~200mile trip for me, and had me arriving with 6miles left on my battery, but told me I had to drive 55mph or less the whole way! Trip planner should allow for more flexibility, and should at least give you an optional supercharger stop if you're going to be left with, say, 10% battery at your destination
4). When using a USB drive, the media app will no longer subdivide an artist's music by album. Selecting an artist will give you all of their songs in alphabetical order, but if you have it organized by album on your usb drive you're out of luck
5). Tune in stations are no longer listed under favorites
6). It should give you the option of disabling auto hide for the app icons

Anyone else having any problems with 8.0?

Installed 8.0 today, and though the new autopilot is all that and a bag of chips, I do have a few gripes. I'm going to list them here, in case Elon is paying attention, or in case anyone has any good workarounds...

1). Trip planner shows estimated battery remaining after a round trip, but doesn't route you through superchargers for a round trip
2) No waypoints
3). Trip planner plotted a ~200mile trip for me, and had me arriving with 6miles left on my battery, but told me I had to drive 55mph or less the whole way! Trip planner should allow for more flexibility, and should at least give you an optional supercharger stop if you're going to be left with, say, 10% battery at your destination
4). When using a USB drive, the media app will no longer subdivide an artist's music by album. Selecting an artist will give you all of their songs in alphabetical order, but if you have it organized by album on your usb drive you're out of luck
5). Tune in stations are no longer listed under favorites
6). It should give you the option of disabling auto hide for the app icons

Anyone else having any problems with 8.0?

My main one is that it seems like when in fullscreen map mode (or even when it's just in the top half of the screen), there's no way to get to the other functions on the top of the screen, without collapsing the map to the bottom half of the screen. That's awful UX...why can't I tap on the top part of the screen and have the icons slide back into view? Am I doing something wrong or are you really that trapped when you have the map up top?