Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Will updates wake up the car? I've recently turned on the power management settings and turned off always connected to save on vampire drain.
As another poster already confirmed, yes. ...and your MS is still gonna occasionally wake up to check back with the mothership for other purposes, so it makes sense it would to both download and ready a new update for installation.

FWIW, I keep Always Connected Checked. My tests of all combinations of both energy options last Fall clearly showed it was less than 1 mi/day impact on my S90D to have near immediate response to occasionally check in with my MS via the Tesla App or Remote S, opposed to unchecking that option as you have, and perhaps having to wait several minutes for the MS to connect. (FWIW, by itself, Energy Savings OFF was +/-2 mi vampire impact/day -- I keep mine ON as you are.) It's your call certainly, and the options are there. It's just a couple of data points if you've not gone through the impact testing yourself.​

My screen
Yes, I've had the same thing occur with 8.0. It went away on it's own and populated the display within a few minutes. My guess was the CID was busy with other processes and had Google Map display as a low priority (as I suspect it should). If the problem does not clear up, I suggest first trying to ensure you are displaying only line-mode maps (they take less resources to download and display), and then reboot your CID to hopefully resolve the problem within short order. Good luck.

Others have reported the same within the last few pages

I have a theory that some EU/AU spec cars have left the factory with "motorized_charge_port" set to "true" even though until recently there were no self-closing charge doors on any type-2 specced vehicle.
And I suspect in 8.0 they started checking for the status of this motor and it's now throwing an error because it can't find it.

Harmless, but perhaps you can convince the service centre to fix it with hardware (by replacing your charge door with a self closing one) rather than software (by setting "motorized_charge_port" to "false" on your car's internal list of specifications)
The rear quarter panel is totally different on pre-refresh non-D cars. They absolutely cannot accept a motorized charge port unless your car undergoes major surgery involving welding and painting. There is no room for the mechanism.

• Informative
Reactions: MP3Mike
I noticed this today with 7.1 too, so it's probably been like this for a while.

Yes, this is the same in 7.1.. but I think people have reported being able to manually re-connect the wifi after the car is put in drive. Kludgy, I know.

Again, it's my "lone developer" theory -- that one developer thought to him/her self "gee, why would anyone need wifi when they're driving away from their house, so let's just turn it off". .. and BOOM, now we have this bug^H^H^Hfeature.

• Funny
Reactions: Lex and vdiv
So I had v8 flavor 19 totally stroke out on me last night. Plugged in the car in the evening, IC says charging will start at 2am like every other night, blue ring on charge port. Wake up in the morning, no notifications on phone or tablet, car IC lit up with battery info, centre screen dead to the world, charge port light still blue.

Double duece reset brings car back to life, but same charge state as last night.

Not mad, it's Saturday, the best day this could happen. Anyone else notice similar behavior?

• Informative
Reactions: BertL
I noticed this today with 7.1 too, so it's probably been like this for a while.
Yes it has. Tesla did this so when you leave your garage, the car switches to cell immediately so you get your streaming music and tiles working right away. Otherwise it would keep trying to get data over WiFi as you pull away from the AP and it wouldn't work.

A few software versions ago it seems that once the car was in drive, you could manually reconnect the WiFi and it would remember this and allow tethering, but on 8.0 this seems to no longer work. There is an internal setting called "istether" for each WiFi entry that will permit tethering if activated, but sadly I cannot figure out a way for one to activate this in 8.0 without root access. For those people who have cars I provide support for, I can activate this if needed.

So I had v8 flavor 19 totally stroke out on me last night. Plugged in the car in the evening, IC says charging will start at 2am like every other night, blue ring on charge port. Wake up in the morning, no notifications on phone or tablet, car IC lit up with battery info, centre screen dead to the world, charge port light still blue.

Double duece reset brings car back to life, but same charge state as last night.

Not mad, it's Saturday, the best day this could happen. Anyone else notice similar behavior?
Not yet but thanks for the heads up!

Yes it has. Tesla did this so when you leave your garage, the car switches to cell immediately so you get your streaming music and tiles working right away. Otherwise it would keep trying to get data over WiFi as you pull away from the AP and it wouldn't work.

A few software versions ago it seems that once the car was in drive, you could manually reconnect the WiFi and it would remember this and allow tethering, but on 8.0 this seems to no longer work. There is an internal setting called "istether" for each WiFi entry that will permit tethering if activated, but sadly I cannot figure out a way for one to activate this in 8.0 without root access. For those people who have cars I provide support for, I can activate this if needed.
So to put this in a practical scenario, if I'm driving and want to connect the car to my iPhone's wifi I can no longer do that? That's not good as I've always considered that as "carrier diversity" in case I lost AT&T cell connectivity I could move to my phones Verizon cell connection.

Preliminary report from driving on AP w 8.0 from SF to LA.
  • 450 miles.
  • 2 glowy alerts, once I felt unfair, once when I actually did have hands-off wheel for a moment to handle something.
  • When I hit LA region, maybe confirmation bias, but the car did seem to sway a bit 3 or 4 times, but only for less than 5 sec. I didn't override, and AP corrected itself.
  • No truck lust, though for the closer passing of trucks on curves, I usually did it manually - just don't trust AP on serious curves.
  • Overrode AP about 5 times, mainly for taking curves too quickly. A couple of curves on Pacheco Pass I could see coming and didn't think AP was planning for enough ahead.
  • AP was happy to work at 85 mph (Don't judge, that was the prevailing traffic), and even through light fog
  • Overall, AP was a life saver. I do think it can see a bit better than me at night with a bit of fog, and also better detect subtle changes of speed ahead.
  • My only Tesla-related trip annoyance was charging at Tejon Ranch... not sure where one would go for a bathroom emergency. How about locked stalls that you can unlock remotely with the Tesla fob? Like Summon on the door... :)
I did wonder if AP was slowly correcting itself during the trip, because I had a full car of 5 humans and medium baggage, which changes the handling from what the car is used to.

I also wonder how much of the different sway/truck-lust AP experiences come from things like tire size, load, windshield clarity, sensor alignment and other issues.

It's just too simple to say AP 8.0 is unusable or rock-solid, since it's obviously pretty different for different drivers.

Double deuce reset brings car back to life, but same charge state as last night.

Replying to my own post here. In addition to stroking out on the charging, the equalizer reset as well. So this bug is definitely still there. This is the first time since right after the v8 install that it rest all three bands. Before it was just resetting mids and highs.

IMG_20161008_094117.jpg

Help! Just installed 8.0 and now my auto open driver door waits until I stand next to it for 3 seconds before opening. Before it would open when I was 4 feet away. Is anyone else having this issue. I hate it now because I basically stand there like an idiot waiting for the door to open. At this pace, it makes more sense for me to open the door manually which defeats the purpose of spending $4500 for the feature. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Help! Just installed 8.0 and now my auto open driver door waits until I stand next to it for 3 seconds before opening. Before it would open when I was 4 feet away. Is anyone else having this issue. I hate it now because I basically stand there like an idiot waiting for the door to open. At this pace, it makes more sense for me to open the door manually which defeats the purpose of spending $4500 for the feature. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Auto-door open? Is that something new? Are you referring to the handles extending? Mine are working fine since 8.0

Sometimes I have to touch the handle to have it open. Not a big deal for me.

Auto-door open? Is that something new? Are you referring to the handles extending? Mine are working fine since 8.0
Sometimes I have to touch the handle to have it open. Not a big deal for me.

Dr Trix might be talking about an X and posting in this thread where most of us are S owners.

8.0 should be named "Bugs"

Bug #2. Some songs end about 40 seconds too soon

With Slacker:
Yup that one really irks me.
Sometimes a good song comes on just as I am parking and I put it on pause so it plays when I get back in the car later. The song resumes but then ends ~40-50 seconds before the end. I haven't tried other audio sources. It only happens when the song was "paused" when you exit the vehicle and come back later to drive. It catches me off guard every time.

Reactions: Max*
With Slacker:
Yup that one really irks me.
Sometimes a good song comes on just as I am parking and I put it on pause so it plays when I get back in the car later. The song resumes but then ends ~40-50 seconds before the end. I haven't tried other audio sources. It only happens when the song was "paused" when you exit the vehicle and come back later to drive. It catches me off guard every time.
I don't have to put songs playing when I shift to P on pause; they always resume when I start the car again. So for me the abrupt ending happens for every song that plays after I start. The range of time remaining, for the occasions on which I've looked to check, is from 29 to 61 secs.